10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

2016 Honda Civic - Mud flaps or Splash guards?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meganleigh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2016 Honda Civic - Mud flaps or Splash guards?

I just purchased a red 2016 Honda civic, and I am doing everything I can to protect this car from the world lol. I have been exploring mud flaps to protect my paint, but will they look stupid? Should I just get the splash guards? Do they do the same job?
Old 07-19-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2016 Honda Civic - Mud flaps or Splash guards?

Originally Posted by meganleigh
will they look stupid?
That's a matter of opinion and depends if you think they look stupid. I don't like them personally. People use hood bras and bumper guards to protect the paint to but you get to a point where you protect it so much that it no longer looks like the car you bought .

Welcome to forum too. Enjoy your new Civic, it will bring you years of enjoyment.
Old 07-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

mud flaps

splash guards
What's the difference? What are YOU thinking of here?
Got links to specific products?

I think the two terms may be interchangeable. Products may vary wildly though.

I have Honda accessory splash guards on my car.

One customer had a set of these painted body color before we installed them (Accord).
Old 07-20-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Get OEM only.

I put them on every car 1st thing.
Old 07-25-2017
Registered!!

Well I have looked at Rally Armor mud flaps, but I am 100% skeptical about the concept of "universal." They don't make them specifically for the Honda Civic, it seems like no company actually does. Otherwise, I looked at splash guards; the kind that are screwed onto the car and don't hang down. I just am not sure if the reason no one makes mud flaps specifically for a civic is because they should not be on one.
Old 07-25-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
What's the difference? What are YOU thinking of here?
Got links to specific products?

I think the two terms may be interchangeable. Products may vary wildly though.

I have Honda accessory splash guards on my car.

One customer had a set of these painted body color before we installed them (Accord).
Thats another question I had. All the guards that I have looked at appear to only come in black. How can you get them in other colors?
Old 07-25-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Thats another question I had. All the guards that I have looked at appear to only come in black. How can you get them in other colors?
To the best of my knowledge the only honda product that has OEM splash guards available from the dealer color matched to the paint is the Acura RL/RLX. I have never seen color matched available for any other honda product.

I personally have splash guards on mine, and I wouldn't hesitate to install them on any honda I purchased.
Old 07-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How can you get them in other colors?
Send the brand new Honda set to your favorite (and qualified) body shop and have them painted before installing. They should know to use a mix that will flex without cracking, much like the original paint used on plastic flexible bumper covers.

We had one customer do this before we installed them on his new car and IMO they looked good. (this was several years ago)