10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Buying a Civic Hatchback - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam Burns is an unknown quantity at this point
Buying a Civic Hatchback - Advice Needed

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Honda Civic hatchback in the next 9 to 12 months. My sister (17 year difference) is turning 16 and it is time to upgrade to a newer vehicle. I've been driving a 2009 Toyota Corolla S.

Just trying to weight the options on what to buy. I love technology so I'm already getting up there in trim and features. I'm not interested in a manual or the sport model since I can't drive stick, don't want to pay for premium gas, and/or don't want to take the tiny hit in MPG since this is primarily a drive to work and 4 hour drives to hunt/scuba/branson car. The hatchback is a must for storage since not only do I do the above but I also go on yearly vacations and have to lug luggage with us.

At the moment I am looking at the EX but I'm still tempted by the EX-L. I'm going to list all the must haves as well as my concerns on features and add-ons. Please let me know your thoughts. I'm on the fence so I keep going back and forth on what trim and add-ons to get.

White
Black Cloth
Honda Sensing (on the fence)
Tailgate Spoiler
Splash Guards
All Season High Wall Mats
Automatic-Dimming Mirror
Cargo Tray

On the ex-l I've read it adds leather, heated seats, power front seat, and navigation. Navigation is not a must since I don't want to have to buy costly map updates after the first 5 years. I know it is optional but if I use it at all I really need to buy the upgrade disc the 7th, 9th, etc years. The power seat isn't a big deal since Honda said besides for lumbar adjustment everything else can be manually set on the EX. The heated seats is a bummer since I live in the midwest with all seasons. It gets cold hunting so it was going to be a nice feature but not needed at all. Leather is the bigger reason for me to upgrade. I just wasn't crazy about the feel of the steering wheel in leather, it wasn't anymore comfortable than the cloth, and it wasn't the perforated leather I prefer for hot sunny days. I actually like the feel of the EX non-leather wheel better. Cloth seats were ok on the EX, nothing really wow or bad about them. The dealer said for $1500 I can have custom leather installed in the Civic. As tempting as it is it is custom work where you have no idea the longevity, quality of the work, and you probably won't see any extra resell value. Navigation for me is covered with my iphone and apple car play.

Is sensing worth it? Where I live there is always construction or odd ball road stuff going on so the lane feature won't be used. I do cruise a lot of the time. The collision part could be useful since I work in downtown kansas city where people like to slam on the brakes. I know if it works I'd like it but has it caused issues for anyone like braking for no reason, any close calls, or issues at the car wash?

At the moment I am looking at the Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Toyota C-HR, and Honda Civic Hatch. The hatch is kind of the clear winner where you compare side by side. I'm slowly test driving all of them to solidify my choice so I can budget. I know I'll be in the 2018 Honda Civic by the time I am ready to buy but it should be just the same or a hair better than the current model.

Please let me know your thoughts on my pick, if the ex-l is really worth it knowing my use, if sensing is worth it, or anything unexpected that has surprised you about the fit. I love the look of the car, the extra 40 in horse power, extra mpg, carplay, and more storage options.
Old 06-07-2017
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Buying a Civic Hatchback - Advice Needed

I'll tell ya, the new hatch is MAD sexy. That said, are you sure you don't want to wait a few months for the Si hatch (or... the TYPE R!!! ). Leather is much nicer than cloth, although it depends on where you live... in Phoenix, it gets pretty miserable. Same goes for the heated seats. Depends on where you live.
I don't know anything about Sensing... there is no substitute for your own 5 (well, 4/5) senses... at least not yet.
The GPS cards are more of a suggestion than anything else... you don't HAVE to update if you don't want to. Major highway routes generally don't change (so the onboard stuff will stay pretty relevant) and you can always use your smartphone for city driving.
It looks like you're pretty "meh" on the EX-L upgrades for the most part... unless you are considering the faster 'Vics, I think you've already madeup your mind!
Old 06-08-2017
Registered!!

msny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Adam,
I just leased a Civic Hatchback EX-L Nav with Sensing 3 weeks ago. You said you were into technology, so this style has it all. Since your doing a lot of stop and go driving I find that Brake Hold and ADC (adaptive cruise control) is a real plus. I understand your opinion on the Nav, but really, most people don't keep a vehicle very long these days. Even if you buy it 10 years that's one update at most for about 100 buks. Apple Car Play & sirus XM are nice upscale features. I considered the Sport model but NONE of these features are standard like push to start ect.

Also:
White
Black Cloth - EX-L is black/white leather very nice
Honda Sensing (on the fence) - this option is around 1500 if you add it, but my style was standard feature.
Tailgate Spoiler - option feature? might cost extra, but you already have 2 already?
Splash Guards - optional feature? might cost extra.
All Season High Wall Mats - I'd look at WeatherTech floor mats, pricey but best.
Automatic-Dimming Mirror - comes standard on EX I believe, check this out.
Cargo Tray - i'd look at WeatherTech floor mats, pricey but best.

I just bought a cargo net from amazon, I think this is a must for a hatch.
If you have any questions on the the car I'd be glad to give you any input.

These might help also.

Last edited by msny; 06-08-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-13-2017
Registered!!

Adam Burns is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by msny
Hi Adam,
I just leased a Civic Hatchback EX-L Nav with Sensing 3 weeks ago. You said you were into technology, so this style has it all. Since your doing a lot of stop and go driving I find that Brake Hold and ADC (adaptive cruise control) is a real plus. I understand your opinion on the Nav, but really, most people don't keep a vehicle very long these days. Even if you buy it 10 years that's one update at most for about 100 buks. Apple Car Play & sirus XM are nice upscale features. I considered the Sport model but NONE of these features are standard like push to start ect.

Also:
White
Black Cloth - EX-L is black/white leather very nice
Honda Sensing (on the fence) - this option is around 1500 if you add it, but my style was standard feature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX19xb-jLfM&t=677s
Tailgate Spoiler - option feature? might cost extra, but you already have 2 already?
Splash Guards - optional feature? might cost extra.
All Season High Wall Mats - I'd look at WeatherTech floor mats, pricey but best.
Automatic-Dimming Mirror - comes standard on EX I believe, check this out.
Cargo Tray - i'd look at WeatherTech floor mats, pricey but best.

I just bought a cargo net from amazon, I think this is a must for a hatch.
If you have any questions on the the car I'd be glad to give you any input.

These might help also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO3rtgZzqHY&t=48s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmMTCUpKZYo&t=17s
Thanks for all the help guys. I bought it on Friday. Bad idea test driving it a week ago. I got the fever big time and then once I saw my Toyota's trade in I really couldn't wait or I'd take almost a $1500 hit on what I budgeted if I bought next year.

Ended up getting the EX-L for like $800 less than what Honda.com lists the EX with my options. Too good to pass up.
It was like $400 over what I budgeted for the monthly (over 5 years not monthly) but they offer as a bonus that your first 5 maintenance visits are 100% free. Woot Woot. Just got back the 70% of the difference.

Just waiting on delivery. They had to go 5 states out to find the one white ex-l with my options. Can't wait!