10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Cold Air Intake Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10thGenNoob is an unknown quantity at this point
Cold Air Intake Issues?

Hey everyone,

just wondering if anyone on here has put the Injen Cold Air intake on their GenX civic yet or know anyone who has? I just called my dealer and they said that it would only void the warranty if they can prove that it was the mod that caused the issue. I'm pretty positive that a new intake will do nothing harmful to the car but I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has heard of any issues caused by an aftermarket intake on this year Civic. Not just Injen either, I know there are other brands available such as AEM's short ram air intake.

Thx Everyone!!!
Old 05-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cold Air Intake Issues?

I just called my dealer and they said that it would only void the warranty if they can prove that it was the mod that caused the issue.
They don't even need proof......and it can get really comical/pathetic when the person telling you "not warranty" knows less about cars than you do.

Some dealer personnel like to flex their muscles and play control freak (ego boost) by denying your warranty when you have a problem...because you modified ANYdamnthing on the car, no matter if it has anything to do with directly affecting the problem at hand or not.
Yeah, that set of wheels and tires, or those LED turn signals made your check engine light come on. *eyeroll*

Many will just open the hood, see what's there, then slam the hood and make you pay for everything....just because they can.

IMO, Don't touch it until warranty runs out.
If you just can't resist touching it, make sure you are able to restore it back to 100% stock before you take it to the dealer for any work.
A sharp tech can usually tell when someone has taken stuff apart already, few DIYers can make their work space look untouched.

Don't get me wrong, some of us in dealer shops work with owner mods the best way we know how, but many others do not.

If your mods complicate otherwise straightforward work, you might be charged extra.
For example, I just did a clutch job on an SUV with a drag bar (towed vehicle) the size of a cow catcher from a train LOL,
This tow bar (LINK) was attached to a big ol extra heavy duty framework made of big chunks of C channel all welded together, weighed about 150 pounds together.
It was wrapped around the subframe and bolted into the front frame horns, through holes cut in the bumper cover, and it made the job a PITA. Added an appropriate labor fee to the estimate to deal with removing and installing this ....thing.
Old 05-27-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Was reading another website and ran across this handy information:

A dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before he can deny warranty coverage on that basis. To challenge a false claim, ask the dealer to put it in writing. If they refuse to give you a written statement, this is a violation of Federal law. The Federal Trade Commission , which administers the Magnuson-Moss Act, monitors compliance with warranty issues. Direct your dealer complaints to the FTC at (202) 326-3128.
Old 05-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hickociv is an unknown quantity at this point

How can you make the dealer prove it?
Old 05-27-2017

Originally Posted by hickociv
How can you make the dealer prove it?
Read the red print.

Google 'Magnuson-Moss warranty act'