10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

TPMS issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BluCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
TPMS issue

Hi, all. New member here.

I've got an issue with my '16 Civic Coupe. With a mere 5K miles on her, I had to have one of the rear tires replaced (screw ended up in the sidewall. Boo!).

The issue: the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) refuses to re-set. The new tire is the exact specs as the original three. I realize that there is more tread on it since it's new, but I thought re calibrating the TPMS was supposed to adjust for that. The Goodyear place that mounted the tire said they fixed it. And they did.... for about 10 miles, then the same warning came up again.

I even asked the Honda dealer down the street to look into it when I had my oil changed a couple weeks ago. Same deal i.e. they said they fixed it and the "fix" didn't even last until I got home, only about 5 miles.

I did a search, but found little. An old thread said something about the software itself needing to be updated. But that was for an older model.

So... I'm at my wits end. I'd appreciate any and all advice and/or helpful comments. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: TPMS issue

The system is wonky in how it operates. Sometime you have to learn to lie to it to get it to work the way you want it to work. The problem is that if the tire is not the same tread design it might not ever decide to "like" the tire. Another problem is that the system is designed to ignore your attempt at resetting it if it sees no change in the condition of the tires.

It is programmed this way to prevent people from just hitting the button and getting the light to go away without actually setting the tire pressures. There are a few work around solutions.

method 1) inflate 3 tires above spec-45 or so psi, deflate 1 tire to 28 psi. Now hit the button to put the car into programming mode. Drive around for a bit. The car will either learn the new pressures or turn the light on again. Now set the pressures to the correct setting and reset the system. This should cause the VSA module that controls the TPMS to see the state of the tires rolling resistance change.

Method 2) Inflate all tires to spec. Reset the system, wait 15 seconds, reset the system, wait 15 seconds, reset the system, wait 2 minutes. Sometime during the 2 minute wait the TPMS light should blink on. This signifies that the system is in "learn" mode.

The new models with indirect TPMS are not well liked due to inherent design limitations. They do the job, but are not infallible and you should still check your tire pressures on a regular basis.
Old 04-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BluCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcnoople
The system is wonky in how it operates. Sometime you have to learn to lie to it to get it to work the way you want it to work. The problem is that if the tire is not the same tread design it might not ever decide to "like" the tire....
The new tire does have a slightly different tread pattern. Hmm.

Thanks for the tips. I will try both and post the results.
Old 04-01-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BluCoupe
The new tire does have a slightly different tread pattern. Hmm.
So it's not an EXACT match. This can cause real problems for the system learning process.

If you can't get it to work right...
Return to the installer and ask them to obtain and install the correct matching tire.
If they cannot, the dealership surely can.

(NOTE: Someone at our dealership had to learn this the hard way, and eat some crow in the process.)