10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

2016 Civic open lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mig21 is an unknown quantity at this point
2016 Civic open lug nuts

Hi

On my mom's 2016 civic the lug nuts that came with the car have two open ends, like regular nuts. Which resulted (as one would expect) in the studs getting completely corroded within a few months. I confirmed that when installing the winter tires.

Is there some reason Honda made this decision? Am I the only one who noticed? It seems retarded to me. I don't know if I'm missing something obvious, so please point it out if I am.

Does anyone have suggestions for where to get proper lug nuts? I think they are M12x1.25, but I don't know if there are issues with the outside size or length or other things. Has anyone replaced theirs?

I'm thinking of getting these but the shape looks weird (not tapered at the bottom) and I don't understand why they come with washers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2016 Civic open lug nuts

IF you have open face lugnuts, you must have steel wheels with hubcaps.

If corrosion is an issue, I'd probably put a drop of motor oil or a smear of aluminum based or copper based anti-seize on the threads before installing the lug nuts.

OR get a set of stock Honda short chrome lug nuts used on many of the cars with aluminum wheels....I would hope the shortest ones fit ok under the stock hubcaps. (I can't tell you which Honda uses the shortest nuts without some checking though)

The lugs in your link are for aftermarket wheels. Don't use them on stock Honda wheels.

All stock Honda wheels use a ball-seat type lugnut, not straight tapered cone seat like most other manufacturers use.

Last edited by ezone; 11-08-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Just putting this out there. Car companies have used open faced lug nuts with nothing on the threads for more than 80 years. I have owned many hubcap cars that didn't have problem with stud corrosion. The only good choices for lug nuts are Honda (OE) lug nuts due to the unique ball seat that ezone posted about.

I own a hub cap car right now that is more than 50 years old and I haven't had the wheels off of it since 2007 when I parked it. I don't think I would have any trouble taking them off if I try, as long as I remember the left handed driver side lug nuts.
Old 11-09-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

left handed driver side lug nuts.
**it just got real
Old 11-09-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Is that a vintage Mopar ? The ones I remember utilizing them.

My 13 EX sedan sports tiny little capped lugs, the smallest I've seen.

I go over my studs, and the wheel & hub contact surfaces with a wire brush each tire rotation. And wipe with WD-40.
Old 11-09-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CraigW
Is that a vintage Mopar ? The ones I remember utilizing them..
Yup, 65 plymouth valiant looks like 1 of these. Wish it looked as good as this one.

Last edited by ezone; 11-09-2016 at 03:01 PM. Reason: image
Old 11-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mig21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool, thanks for the info ezone. I didn't realize there was such a variety in lug nut designs, I thought the metric/imperial thread was the only difference. I will go to a honda dealer and ask them to sell me something.

It is steel rims with hub caps, and the studs were in bad shape. I'm especially sensitive to that because I just spent an evening cleaning studs and lug nuts wiith a tap&die set on a couple of 6-year-old cars. It was so bad that on one wheel I had to cut off the ends of the studs.

I put Boeshield T9 on them nearly every time I take them off.

Car companies have used open faced lug nuts with nothing on the threads for more than 80 years. I have owned many hubcap cars that didn't have problem with stud corrosion.
Could it depend on the weather? Around here they put a lot of salt/calcium/whatever on the roads on the winter. I see open-end nuts around here sometimes, but I feel it's pretty rare. Even if they're covered with hub caps - they are often not covered in the winter (cause the winter tire rims are a different size).
Old 11-09-2016

I'm in the rust belt. Been dealing with open lugnuts for decades too.
I think a shot of penetrating oil before trying to remove them helps a lot. Lube upon assembly helps in the future.

At a dealership you may expect to pay over $8 for each chrome lug nut. Times 20.
Check local parts stores, but make sure whatever they try to sell you has the ball or rounded type seat.

Check your local you-pull-it junkyard?
Any year Honda, search most any of the cars --- except Odyssey/Pilot/Ridgeline/late Crosstour, they use a larger size. Acuras, same deal.
Remember Honda uses various lengths so you may have to do a little hunting to find the shortest ones.