Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Downstream o2 sensor with straight pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Djmixmode is an unknown quantity at this point
Downstream o2 sensor with straight pipe?

Hey guys I'm taking off the cat and putting on a straight pipe. Should I keep the downstream o2 sensor or just cap the bung? The straight pipe has the bung for a sensor but it also comes with a cap. I'm just wondering if I should throw an o2 sensor in it to keep the computer measuring gasses. I don't care about the check engine light but what are the pros and cons with/without the sensor? Will it run too rich either way?
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: Downstream o2 sensor with straight pipe?

I'd be more self conscious about the embarrassing and stinky blue smoke cloud Honda's all seem to emit once the cat is removed. Just add a couple spark plug not foulers ahead of the rear o2 and hope for no code. Problem with codes like that is they all modify the algorithms the computer uses to calculate how to make it run right. Once enough variables turn into 0's, it's math ceases to work as intended. My experience is after 3-4 codes are set that alone won't affect much, they produce weird effects together and the car starts to act a bit funky. Try it. You might be fine, you might not.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Not sure what you mean about codes and algorithms. I don't have a chip or a tuned ecu. It would just be the stock program. When you say the non foulers, you mean 4 for the spark plugs to protect them from fuel/oil in case it runs rich?
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

I was assuming the engine would only throw one code for rear o2 missing if I left it out and a different single code if I left it in.
Old 09-03-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Google search for info on how to install TWO (spark plug) anti-foul adapters on the rear oxygen sensor to fool the computer.
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Google search for info on how to install TWO (spark plug) anti-foul adapters on the rear oxygen sensor to fool the computer.
Got it, now that makes sense. Thanks!