Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

upgrading rusty

Old 05-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kagan21 is an unknown quantity at this point
upgrading rusty

hey guys been working on old rusty and fixing to replace a lot of parts everything from suspension, fuel, and electrical. and i know it does not make a big difference but im going to add a SRI just to give me more room when working on the car and easier to take out if need to. my question is that i was looking at a edelbrock intake for sort of having if i want to upgrade more down the line if i want. if not, at least i have a better intake that will make what 10hp more on the motor? this is a daily driver
Old 05-22-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: upgrading rusty

Originally Posted by kagan21
at least i have a better intake that will make what 10hp more on the motor? this is a daily driver
It's not gonna give you 10whp. It'll maybe give you 2-3 in the high end and loss in the low end.
Old 05-22-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
It's not gonna give you 10whp.
i was not talking about whp i was talking just hp but thanks for the info though.
Old 05-22-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

whp and hp are pretty much one in the same. Only difference is whp takes into account power loss at the transmission.

To help get answers, what year/trim level civic do you have?
Old 05-22-2017
Registered!!

97 ex auto sedan. but u are probably right the intake would not be worth it for a daily i was just thinking about it because i was thinking about a small turbo just to give it extra power but just don't know if i want to throw that much at it.
Old 05-22-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Turbocharging a D-series engine is a lot of fun. Had one on my daily driver (D17A2 - 2002 ex coupe MT), but requires a great deal of maintenance to keep happy.

Don't get me wrong, an SRI does have it's advantages. If anything, an SRI would make maintenance a lot easier. Clears up a lot of room for maintenance around the intake area, not to mention filter cleaning vs. replacement is an option, and it's quite easily accessible. On mine, it's a single hose clamp and I can take the filter right off. Since I have an AEM dryflow filter, spray with a solution, rinse in a bucket, let air dry, and back on it goes. Also sets you up for future mods, as you mentioned. Like on mine, my engine breathes a bit better since I'm rocking a stage 1 cam.

I just didn't want you to go thinking "this one mod will give me 10 horsepower!" when, in fact, dyno charts trypically show a loss of 1-5 in the lower RPM band (1000-2500ish RPM), and a slight gain (typically 1-3) in the upper RPM band (6000+ RPM)
Old 05-22-2017
Registered!!

yea i see what your saying about the 10hp thing, just didn't think a good IM would loss power on the lower end. i mean i might go turbo later just have not priced out the parts yet because i heard most of them u have to loss your AC or something like that. but if i go turbo i will probably do the whole prep work first like IM with stage 1 cams. but on the other hand is it worth it for a rusty 97 ex sedan auto as a daily. or is it worth to even supercharge it

Last edited by kagan21; 05-22-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2017
Administrator
Administrator

That is all up to you, my friend. How much life do you see in this car of yours?

Boosting my 02 was a ton of fun, but I ended up having headgasket failure issues. I'm sure you can find setups or make your own setup where you can retain AC. My setup did, all I had to do was get low profile AC/radiator fans.
Old 07-03-2017
Registered!!

well if i was going to go turbo i made a small list of before parts:

new intake
bigger injectors
bigger fuel pump
better pistons
new cams

my only question is that i would want to build the turbo kit myself and i was wondering is there a manifold where i don't have to remove the ps and ac pumps

Search this Thread