Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Any exhaust systems/headers worth a darn?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hamilton is an unknown quantity at this point
Any exhaust systems/headers worth a darn?

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums, I picked up a 97 civic DX (hatch)..(sorry I don't know all the sub models and exactly what they all mean yet, i do know mine is the most bare bones sub model, lucky me) for the cool price of 800 bucks. minor front suspension problems. (upper ball joint, wheel bearing) also the cross member is completely rusted out on the passenger side which is what brings up my next question about the exhaust.

Skip to here if you don't want to read my sob story

The exhaust system under the car now sucks worse than the rusted cross member, and even though I got the car on the cheap i want to fix it right. Do you all have a personal recommendation on a full system that is affordable, or at least a header/manifold that is affordable.

I say affordable in the sense of... I paid 800 for this and it's going to be my daily driver. I don't want top of the line but i don't want ebay either.
Old 12-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any exhaust systems/headers worth a darn?

If the crossmember is already rotted out, you may not want to put money in it elsewhere until you get it structurally sound.

It can get quite embarrassing when all 4 wheels don't point in the same direction and you're in a ditch (or worse) because of it.
Old 12-30-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If the crossmember is already rotted out, you may not want to put money in it elsewhere until you get it structurally sound.

It can get quite embarrassing when all 4 wheels don't point in the same direction and you're in a ditch (or worse) because of it.
I already have a new cross member and all the front end suspension components , the exhaust would be one of those, "While I'm down there" type of things.
Old 12-30-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Give us a price range for what you're willing to spend for each
Old 12-31-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

be careful on cheap cat converters, most last much less than OE ones. If you get them, be prepared to spend for another much earlier.
Old 01-01-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I got lucky with a used Megnaflow cat. back for $150,
a high flow cat. for $100, and instalation for $150.

Sounds great... for a civic =D.
Old 01-01-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Give us a price range for what you're willing to spend for each
i'd say anything from 100-400

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
be careful on cheap cat converters, most last much less than OE ones. If you get them, be prepared to spend for another much earlier.
any brands to avoid? I didn't really intend on going cheap with it

Originally Posted by mac25
I got lucky with a used Megnaflow cat. back for $150,
a high flow cat. for $100, and instalation for $150.

Sounds great... for a civic =D.
anything that made you like the m(a?)gnaflow kit over oem? have you noticed any increase in performance/efficiency/or just a healthier sounding engine?
Old 01-07-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Well my car is heavily modified.

You will feel a difference with I/HE and a stage 1 cam, that's for sure.

I don't remember much increase other than throttle response with just Intake and exhaust (but back then I had a stock cam.

then I dropped in the cam. and felt that quite a bit, but still only had intake and exhaust.

Then I finally bought a header, thinking it wouldn't make a difference. Boy was I wrong! My fuel mileage increased by 40% (possible 48%, it was almost double), and the power increased a bit to.

So I f you get a stage 1 cam. make sure you do full exhaust, intake and header.

(I'm also have no rear interior, or trunk liner and have a lighter front end and fiberglass hood, so obviously the gains will reflect greater in my case).