Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

low oil pressure/ fuel pump shut off

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jwalkerck1 is an unknown quantity at this point
low oil pressure/ fuel pump shut off

I recently purchased a 1996 Civic LX and I need some help. I'm not overly familiar with the car as of yet but I need to know does the car have an automatic fuel pump shut off when the oil pressure is to low or is this just an aftermarket add on? It is equipped with the SOHC engine with and an electric fuel pump. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: low oil pressure/ fuel pump shut off

does the car have an automatic fuel pump shut off when the oil pressure is to low
No. .
Old 08-17-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
No. .
I have been told by two Honda gurus that they in fact do have one in the main relay.
Old 08-17-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Still no.

The oil pressure switch is ONLY connected to the oil warning (gravy boat) light.
It is not connected in any way to the fuel pump or fuel injection system.

You can drive around with the oil pressure light glowing bright all the way up until the time the engine hatches.
Old 08-17-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Still no.

The oil pressure switch is ONLY connected to the oil warning (gravy boat) light.
It is not connected in any way to the fuel pump or fuel injection system.

You can drive around with the oil pressure light glowing bright all the way up until the time the engine hatches.
The reason I am asking is because it is my race car so I need to know if there is something that will stop the fuel from pumping in case I roll the car over since it is an electric pump.
Old 08-17-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

I know the old GM Vaga had one. About 30K when the cylinder scrapings packed the oil pick up , you could get 5-10k more engine life out of them by jumping out the switch.
Old 08-17-2015

Originally Posted by jwalkerck1
The reason I am asking is because it is my race car so I need to know if there is something that will stop the fuel from pumping in case I roll the car over since it is an electric pump.
In stock form there's nothing to shut off the pump that is tied to oil pressure, but if you are into creative wiring it would not be hard to rig something up.

The pump (main relay) is shut off shortly after the engine comes to a halt and ignition pulses are no longer seen by the computer, you can check this out for yourself to be sure