Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

What are ALL the necessary things to do when doing a tune up?

Old 08-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ayoitzjulesdx98 is an unknown quantity at this point
What are ALL the necessary things to do when doing a tune up?

How do you know when to change your fuel filter, pcv valve, and distributer rotor?
Old 08-06-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: What are ALL the necessary things to do when doing a tune up?

Rotor is changed when you change the dist cap.
Fuel filter if it has never been changed it is likely due for it
PCV valve if it doesn't rattle when shaken
Dist cap is changed when the contact point are burnt or worn down
Plugs every 30K or when the contact points are worn
If it still has the original Sumitomo plug wires they are good for 200K or more miles. Part store wires will never go on my honda

I am basing this on the name dx98 and assuming 98 civic. And these are just general suggestions. If the engine is burning oil plugs will be needed more often. If you frequently get very low quality fuel you should change the fuel filter more frequently.
Old 02-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eager2learn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Rotor is changed when you change the dist cap.
Fuel filter if it has never been changed it is likely due for it
PCV valve if it doesn't rattle when shaken
Dist cap is changed when the contact point are burnt or worn down
Plugs every 30K or when the contact points are worn
If it still has the original Sumitomo plug wires they are good for 200K or more miles. Part store wires will never go on my honda

I am basing this on the name dx98 and assuming 98 civic. And these are just general suggestions. If the engine is burning oil plugs will be needed more often. If you frequently get very low quality fuel you should change the fuel filter more frequently.
Hey mcnoople,

Thanks for the advice, I hope you don't mind if i take it.

Well, I did a quick google search for your Sumitomo plug wires suggestion and apparently they are the OEM Honda Wires, if I am not mistaken, and that they are superior to NGK wires.

The reason I bring this up is because in my Honda factory service manual, they suggest using NGK spark plugs, I guess what I am asking is, is there a superior spark plug to NGK that I do not know about because I did not know about SUMITOMO plug wires before.

I am sorry for hi-jacking the thread but to help keep it on point, maybe checking out the response times of your o2 sensors, to see if they are lazy or not or perhaps checking their frequency, how long it goes from high to low per second. These are all things I just picked up researching about o2 sensors. It would help keep your mileage up with a correctly working o2 sensor, please correct me if I am wrong here.
Old 02-26-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eager2learn
The reason I bring this up is because in my Honda factory service manual, they suggest using NGK spark plugs, I guess what I am asking is, is there a superior spark plug to NGK that I do not know about because I did not know about SUMITOMO plug wires before.

Denso plugs are about as good as NGK. They are not superior, but they of similar quality. I have never seen a failed NGk plug. I have seen 1 failed denso. And that is after more than a decade of dealer technician work. NGK plugs really are the best plugs you can put in an engine.