Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Stage 1 cams? For 97 Civic Ex Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tybonater is an unknown quantity at this point
Stage 1 cams? For 97 Civic Ex Help?

Hello forum people i am new to the civic scene always been into cars have basic level of mechanics but dont really understand alot of the performance stuff anyways I have a 1.6 SOHC Vtec i believe it a D16Y8. So im looking to get a camshaft figured I would get a stage one been doing some research and have found that they dont require much changing rather then just the cam i think lol.
i was looking at the crowner stage 1 . what are your guys thoughts am i on the right track?
I dont know if that cam will take away the vtec kick in lol? or what and is there anything else i should replace while i got that part of the motor opened up any advice is welcome knowledge is kowledge good or bad in a sense thank you hope to get some answers
Old 04-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Stage 1 cams? For 97 Civic Ex Help?

i never really advocate "performance" add ons for these cars,

however,

i feel a cam would be useless unless you installed a header/complete exhaust system and intake first, you should get these done before the cam,
Old 04-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tybonater is an unknown quantity at this point

Alrighty cool and when in switching out the cam what else could I do while I'm in there and also how much power can expect from a cam install stage 1
Old 04-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tybonater
Alrighty cool and when in switching out the cam what else could I do while I'm in there and also how much power can expect from a cam install stage 1
that depends on what has been done previous, but you might as well do all you can while your in there.....

- timing belt
- timing belt tensioner
- water pump
- cam seal
- crank seal
Old 04-24-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tybonater
i was looking at the crowner stage 1 . what are your guys thoughts am i on the right track?
I did some reading on the subject last night and some people who had done it said not to bother because the gains were no greater than the stock cam. I always thought there was some gain to be had from doing this but I guess it's only the 7th gen that see the benefits.