Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

About $715 to play with...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012
CiviƆ_N00b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CiviC_UnderDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking About $715 to play with...

Well, i replaced my timing belt and all the pumps etc... the whole package deal. Also replaced rotors and brakes. All for about $715, as motivation for school my grandmother told me she reimburst me that money, if i do good. So i was planing on putting that right back into the car, I was looking at getting a SRI and Cat back exhaust or header exhaust.

Good or bad way to spend the money? if bad have any other suggestions, or just want to add you $0.02 feel free.

(Ps. after the week i went on vacation and got my car back from the mechanics when the work was done, my car seemed to be a little more responsive / accel more aggresively. Did it just seem like that because i havent driven it in a week or is that common?)

Thanks in advance!
CiviC_UnderDog
Old 08-08-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: About $715 to play with...

Lower it!! $715 is enough for (depending on brand) coilovers. Or a set of springs and new shocks. Suspension is one of the most exspensive things (a lot of money at once). Unless your not into handling.
Old 08-08-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

x2 on lowering it. At a first, I automatically assumed you had a 7thgen (bad habit of mine since this started as a 7thgen specific forum) and thought GolNat was high with what he said, but then I realized you had a 6thgen, and everything made sense.. lol

that said, Tein's Street Basis coilover runs $618.45 at thmotorsports (after using coupon code 5offfive). I'm partial to Tein suspension, so that's why I went straight for their coilovers. You'd also have to take into account that you'll need an alignment along with installing a new suspension, so factor in an extra $100 to cover that cost.
http://thmotorsports.com/tein/tein_d.../i-509823.aspx

Another member of ours did a review on the coilovers, granted it was done on a 7thgen, but I'm sure many of his pros/cons could apply
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...mpression.html
Old 08-08-2012
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you could get a cheap intake for the sound with a good aem dryflow filter.
Old 08-08-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

An expensive exhaust and intake isnt the best way to go unless you really want the sound...you're only going to gain a couple horses if you're lucky. If you wanted to go faster you could go for a stage 1 cam. But the best option has already been listed.
Old 08-08-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
x2 on lowering it. At a first, I automatically assumed you had a 7thgen (bad habit of mine since this started as a 7thgen specific forum) and thought GolNat was high with what he said, but then I realized you had a 6thgen, and everything made sense.. lol
lol, I actually said originally that $715 would be a good start for some coilovers and before I hit post I checked to see what gen he had. I usually automatically assume that also. It seems like most people have 7th gens.
Old 08-08-2012
CiviƆ_N00b

So lowering, what about tires would they have to be something special or can I use the normal ones, the only reason I was talking exhaust and intake is because I want something more performance. It has 127k miles and I don't know how much I'll get out of it. Though it was well kept etc... I don't think I'll have it for more then 3 years, if the engine even allows that.

And no one said anything about feeling faster after timing belt work. Any opinions?

Last edited by CiviC_UnderDog; 08-08-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 08-08-2012
CiviƆ_N00b

Also at rice I looked at the forum and I saw how much lowered the car was, is that adjustable? Because around where I live I have a considerable amount of speedbumps that aren't avoidable. And I feel like my front bumper and bottom of the car would get destroyed being that low.
Old 08-08-2012
Prelude Owner

Stock tires will be fine. Another good investment is a set of good tires though. Best way to improve your handeling. 127k miles is just broken in. You have well over 3 years left on the engine. intake and exhaust doesn't do much. It's an economy car. The best for performance is cam, swap or turbo. The timing belt thing was probably from not driving it for a week.
Old 08-08-2012
Former Sponsor

AutoAnything is an unknown quantity at this point

Well first off, it's a Honda so that thing will go forever (assuming you havent killed it, and even then lol). Tough call on the exhaust setup or the suspension...prob. suspension though as mentioned.
Old 08-08-2012
CiviƆ_N00b

Well a turbo and swap are a bit pricey for the budget atm... Otherwise I'd swap for the b16a2. But I am only 17 so I still have time. The only reason I'm saying I'll only have the car for 3 years is because I want a new one. Like a newer SI, infinity g35-37, or an older 80-90's Porsche. But is a cam within the budget of 715-800? If so I'd like suggestions on brands.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If you did the labor yourself, sure, it'd be well within your budget. It'd also be easy to vastly exceed your budget if you mess something up, so I'd only attempt it if you have the proper tools and the mechanical know-how.

http://www.crower.com/catalogsearch/...441Y&x=13&y=20

Take it to a shop, they'll prolly charge a couple hundred for labor, if not more. Dealerships charge $650 for a 7thgen timing belt change (parts and labor). Imagine that labor, plus having to take apart the head apart (not off) to install the cam.

Also, I told myself I'd only have my civic for 5 years tops.. I'm about to celebrate her 10th birthday now.. haha

But seriously, the best bang for your buck would be suspension.
Old 08-09-2012
Prelude Owner

Cheap SRI = $50
AEM Dryflow = $50
Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust = $500-$600
Headers (depending on brand) = $100-$350
In order to get the most out of a CAM you should have I/h/e. it will allow the engine to breath. But like RiceBoy said, a CAM is a lot of labor. Maybe start with I/h/e then go for the CAM. Or make it handle like a race car with the double wishbone suspension you have.
Old 08-09-2012
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think exhaust on these cars is a waste, mostly noise and barely 1-2hp gain in power. too costly for not making any difference.