View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: How do I install head studs with the head on?

i would do what ARP advised instead of questioning it on a forum. follow the directions. be sure to use their included moly lube (ie:NOT oil) on the upper threads and on the bottom of the nut where it contacts the head.
Old 04-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Quick tip- Oil dipstick mod

Something that really annoys me about smooth oil dipsticks is that the oil doesn’t stick to it very well, and it can be pretty hard to see the level, especially right after an oil change when the oil is almost clear. So what I just did is I used 80 grit sandpaper to make a crosshatch pattern on the end of the oil dipstick to give it more of a texture so the oil sticks to it better. Obviously clean the dipstick before reinstalling it if you choose to do this. But I am impressed with the difference that this made! It made a big diffrerence in how much oil sticks to the dipstick. Checking the oil is now much easier, especially when the oil is clean. I will upload a picture when I get home so you can see the difference. Anyways, I just figured I’d share this tip in case anyone else has problems with their smooth oil dipstick. If you have the same problem, maybe this is something you’d like to try.
Old 04-30-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
What does a shift kit do?

I’ve heard good things about shift kits, but I’m not sure what they do. I Googled it, but I pretty much just found that it makes the transmission shift quicker and firmer. Does that make sense? If so, I presume that there would be a performance benefit to me getting one for my transmission? I don’t know much about automatic transmissions, so please forgive my ignorance.
Old 04-30-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What does a shift kit do?

On a computer controlled trans, not much.
Old 04-30-2018
Registered!!

Re: What does a shift kit do?

Originally Posted by ezone
On a computer controlled trans, not much.
That's what I thought, thanks.
Old 05-01-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Quick tip- Oil dipstick mod

Roughing up your dipstick, ay?
Old 05-01-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Roughing up your dipstick, ay?
LOL!
Old 05-01-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

with some lube on the tip?
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Dtc p2a00?

For the last four years, my Civic has been randomly setting a P2A00 code. It has only done it about 5 times, so it’s very intermittent. I have replaced the sensor since then, and it still randomly sets this code. The car has no exhaust leaks before the o2 sensor, and I tried moving the o2 sensor wiring with the engine running to see if I could cause the fuel trim or o2 sensor activity to change, and I can’t change anything by moving or pulling on the wiring. What can be causing this? The car seems to run fine, but the short term fuel trim is constantly negative. It is usually between about -12 and -25, so maybe that has something to do with this problem. The fuel trim seems to go negative more when the engine is under load. I would appreciate any help, this code is driving me crazy. Thanks!

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 05-02-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Dtc p2a00?

Recommended to use OEM Honda O2 sensor only.
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
Recommended to use OEM Honda O2 sensor only.
I used a Denso. Denso made the Honda sensor.
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Are voltage stabilizers a scam?

I am asking about those capacitor boxes that connect to the battery to smooth out the voltage. From an electrical standpoint, the theory that the capacitors will absorb AC ripple and minor fluctuations in voltage is completely valid. There are even legit companies that make these things, like Mugen and HKS. However, wouldn’t the battery already do the same thing?

Here is a dyno test done on this: http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...-fact-fiction/
Old 05-02-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are voltage stabilizers a scam?

However, wouldn’t the battery already do the same thing?
Yes.
Old 05-02-2018

Exhaust (air/suction) leaks between engine and sensor?

Contaminated connector somewhere causing voltage bleedover?
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Exhaust (air/suction) leaks between engine and sensor?

Contaminated connector somewhere causing voltage bleedover?
As I said, there are no exhaust leaks before the sensor. Also, if you are asking if the o2 sensor connector is contaminated, it is not. I checked it, and the contacts are clean and shiny. I think this may be related to the fuel trim problem.
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Re: Are voltage stabilizers a scam?

Yes.
That’s what I thought.
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Re: High RPM on the highway

Originally Posted by mikey1
i would be careful driving it at those speeds,

years ago i had a high revving issue like that (in a different vehicle) and all of a sudden cruising at 60mph the trans downshifted to first gear and nearly put my head through the windshield....thank god i had my seat belt on
Thanks for the warning. Mine did the same thing yesterday. I was going 50, and the trans downshifted to 1st gear for no reason with no warning. I freaked out and threw it in neutral. Luckily nothing was damaged and it didn’t cause an accident. But the strange thing is that after the sudden downshift, the trans goes into 4th gear without a problem. Go figure.
Old 05-02-2018

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER

Thanks for the warning. Mine did the same thing yesterday. I was going 50, and the trans downshifted to 1st gear for no reason with no warning. I freaked out and threw it in neutral. Luckily nothing was damaged and it didn’t cause an accident. But the strange thing is that after the sudden downshift, the trans goes into 4th gear without a problem. Go figure.
Now it has a P0730 code? (codes of death)
Replace transmission
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Now it has a P0730 code? (codes of death)
Replace transmission
Nope. No codes. I don't think it's the transmission though, I think it's the PCM.
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

dp...

Last edited by RobertD; 05-02-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

did you have that code recently? random codes over the past 5 years are irrelevent, IMO. you had a cracked header until recently. for all you know it's pulling fuel to make up for LTFT's that slowly richened up over the time it was reading extra air with the cracked header(but admittedly i work with ford ecu's, not sure if this is even possible on a honda). or it's possible your LTFT is currently correcting for a lean condition under low load due to a vacuum leak or exhaust leak, and when you add load and there's less vacuum/more exhaust, STFT pulls fuel to keep it running right(or how it thinks is right)

you could start changing parts, but why? and how do you know there's absolutely no exhaust leak? did you check with a smoke machine? have you retorqued the header bolts now that they've had a few heat cycles? have a few goofy honda friends that always reuse gaskets, never double check anything, always ask what the problem is but instead of taking advice, they start buying parts. the plus side to their mentality is they have a lot of spare parts lying around

High negative fuel trim corrections can be caused by MAF sensor problems, high fuel pressure, leaking fuel pressure regulator diaphragm, faulty evaporative emissions components, leaking injectors, defective O2 sensors, exhaust leaks/pinholes before the O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor problems, and base engine issues such as low compression and incorrect camshaft timing.
also, the way you say "no leak before the sensor.." what about after it? i had a cracked/frozen up TAD sensor on my mustang which in turn caused it to inject too much air 24" past the o2 and it was enough to create a false lean condition that made my car run pig rich. drove me nuts. pulled my hair out for a month
Old 05-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
did you have that code recently? random codes over the past 5 years are irrelevent, IMO. you had a cracked header until recently. for all you know it's pulling fuel to make up for LTFT's that slowly richened up over the time it was reading extra air with the cracked header(but admittedly i work with ford ecu's, not sure if this is even possible on a honda). or it's possible your LTFT is currently correcting for a lean condition under low load due to a vacuum leak or exhaust leak, and when you add load and there's less vacuum/more exhaust, STFT pulls fuel to keep it running right(or how it thinks is right)

you could start changing parts, but why? and how do you know there's absolutely no exhaust leak? did you check with a smoke machine? have you retorqued the header bolts now that they've had a few heat cycles? have a few goofy honda friends that always reuse gaskets, never double check anything, always ask what the problem is but instead of taking advice, they start buying parts. the plus side to their mentality is they have a lot of spare parts lying around
also, the way you say "no leak before the sensor.." what about after it? i had a cracked/frozen up TAD sensor on my mustang which in turn caused it to inject too much air 24" past the o2 and it was enough to create a false lean condition that made my car run pig rich. drove me nuts. pulled my hair out for a month
I smoke tested the exhaust by pouring a tiny bit of of oil in the intake manifold, and the only exhaust leak it has is right behind where the cat would be, about 3 feet after the sensor, which is irrelevant. There are no vacuum leaks, I checked several times. It has set this code 2 times in the last few months. Also, I reset the PCM after I changed the header, so it shouldn't still be compensating for the leak. Good thoughts though.
Old 05-03-2018
Registered!!

Should I wrap my header? Poll

Obviously the header radiates a lot of heat. So my question is if wrapping it would help keep underhood temps down. Or maybe use ceramic paint instead? Not sure. Thanks to anyone who has input.
Old 05-03-2018
Registered!!

Out of curiosity, I reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery, and it’s now it won’t go into overdrive again. I shouldn’t have reset it! This is so weird. Does this sound like a bad PCM? It’s obviously something electrical since disconnecting the battery has an effect on it, but I’m not sure what it could be. I know it’s not mechanical though because if it was, resetting the PCM wouldn’t have an effect. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-03-2018

Re: Should I wrap my header? Poll

Wrap holds moisture, could cause steel pipes to rust prematurely
Old 05-03-2018
Registered!!

My header is stainless steel.
Old 05-03-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Huge fan of wrapped / ceramic headers.
Old 05-03-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Huge fan of wrapped / ceramic headers.
So would you suggest painting it, and then wrapping it to get the maximum benefit?
Old 05-03-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

that's what i hear also
Old 05-03-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER

My header is stainless steel.
It is stain less steel not stain free. It can still rust depending on the quality of stainless and metal makeup.

I would paint and then wrap or just paint.

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave