Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03_EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust questions

Looking to get a cat-back exhaust system but also want to change out original cat for a high flow one. Will installing a high flow cat require mods to be done to the cat-back system for them to connect? Was looking at older posts about Random Tech. but they seem to be weld in instead of flanges? Not looking for major gains out of all this just want the sound and maybe a little bit of gains. Also I’ve been looking around and have seen so many different exhausts out and don’t want to buy some ricey sounding junk so does anyone have any recommendations on which systems to look at. I’m looking for something moderately priced, moderately loud, not raspy or ricey sounding.
Old 02-09-2018
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Exhaust questions

For the cat you can have it installed at your local muffler shop and ask them to weld on flanges like the original so it mates up with the cat back.

I recently got a magnaflow catback on my em2 and it sounds nice and deep but not raspy at all. Its around the 500 dollar range. Part number 15712
you can check youtube for sound clips of this exhaust.
Old 02-09-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

what trim level?

As far as needing to upgrade cat.. technically no, especially if you're looking to just change the exhaust note.

On my 2002 EX coupe, I ran a kamikaze ceramic coated header (paid $300), random tech high flow cat/downpipe (direct fit, no welding required, paid about $330, including cost of gasket kit), and an a'pexi ws-II exhaust (paid $550). I got a lot of compliments on the exhaust note, most notably, from my sister's then-fiance, now-wife, who hated rice rockets, but liked how my car sounded.

Here's the only videos I uploaded to youtube. First is in car (phone mounted on windshield. lol). Second is after I finished an engine overhaul, starts off with the camera pointing at the exhaust at idle, then me blipping the throttle from the engine bay. Truth be told, in the second clip, the engine/intake sounds kinda overpower the exhaust sound, but you get the idea. Not too loud, nice low rumble. Cold starts made it a bit loud, but still sounded good

I'll try and see if I have any videos saved on one of my many hard drives.
Old 02-09-2018
Registered!!

03_EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info guys, I’ve heard a lot about the magnaflow system and it might just be the one I go with, I’ve also looked at HKS and DC Sports Single canister. I know its not technically needed to upgrade/change the cat but I just want the little bit of extra flow considering my last 2 cars (both being the same car essentially) had 3 cats in them.. Btw my car is a 03 EX coupe 5-speed.