Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Need to make an icebox

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need to make an icebox

I have a 2001 civic ex and my first mod I'd like to do is changer the air intake. I have a HPS SRI. I originally wanted to install it but now I know I would lose HP because it would suck up hot air in the engine bay. So my question is has anyone made an icebox and what material did you use? I've seen one that looks like the links below in another much older post. That's something I would go for.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 10-10-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Made images lazy-friendly
Old 10-10-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need to make an icebox

The "loss" in horsepower due to hot air is negligible. You gain a bit (albeit, high RPM band power) by far less restriction in the intake. If anything, an intake will net you maybe 1-3hp in the high end and 1-3hp loss in the low end. A shift of the power band, if you will.

However, I should add that the D17 is crap when it comes to bolt ons. You'll notice sound, but not much else on top of that. You'll notice bolt on mods if you get a cam, though. Crower stage 1 cam runs you about $300 new, no tune, no valve springs/retainers needed for installation. Complete bolt-on installation. All you need is a bunch of sockets (10mm, 12mm, and 14mm), some RTV, and a torque wrench, and some assembly lube. Maybe a long screwdriver to "jam" into the cam gear to break it loose.

I may have one I can part with.

edit: However, to answer your question, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to fab one up yourself. Find a way to get the general shape (wire mesh?), may down some fiberglass mat on it, paint if you please. It's not load bearing nor structural, and 2-4 layers of fiberglass mat can be strong as hell. Fiberglassing isn't hard, just messy. If it's hot, not even time consuming. Or, if you know someone with a 3D printer, even better

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 10-10-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: I never really answered OP's question. lol
Old 10-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Hey riceboy is it possible to install the cam shaft without removing the head? I've been wanting to get it and I had a chance to put one when I did my head gasket, but I didn't have the money for the cam at the time. So this is why i ask if its possible..
Old 10-11-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

no need to remove the head
Old 10-11-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy two downspout splashes (pictured)..put one on top of the other face to face..LOL

OR..just go back to stock air box

I heard this one (below) will add 50 hp. Plus if race someone you're guaranteed to always win by a nose..LOL

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-11-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Hey riceboy is it possible to install the cam shaft without removing the head? I've been wanting to get it and I had a chance to put one when I did my head gasket, but I didn't have the money for the cam at the time. So this is why i ask if its possible..
PM'd so I don't hijack the thread