Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Jdm d17a stage 1 cam and other boosts I can add to a jdm d17a

Old 08-31-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sethconquest is an unknown quantity at this point
Jdm d17a stage 1 cam and other boosts I can add to a jdm d17a

Kinda new to the honda tunning but i was wondering what would be the best stage 1 cam that'll fit a jdm d17a also if there other thing I can add to my d17a for added power/torque let me know. I already have a 2.25inch magnaflow cat back exhaust and a weapon r dragon short ram air intake. Thanks for any advice in advance
Old 08-31-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Jdm d17a stage 1 cam and other boosts I can add to a jdm d17a

VTEC engine or no?
I am unsure of stage 1 for non-VTEC - think there were none
Old 08-31-2017
Registered!!

Its a jdm d17a vtec engine with 5speed manual transmission
Old 08-31-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Crower cams

then you add intake
then exhaust

do one at a time, so you will know how much they uncork each other
Old 08-31-2017
Registered!!

The crower stage 1 cam for the d17a2? Cause ive searched for one of those and all that cam up were the ones for the d17a2
Old 09-01-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

contact them and ask if compatible - I would think they should not be that different

i am just not sure
Old 10-07-2017
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

Crower stage 1 cam and exhaust manifold should do the trick.

https://www.crower.com/camshafts/civ...-camshaft.html

http://www.hondanonclub.com/webboard...p?topic=2608.0

DC SPORTS RACING MANIFOLD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-SPORTS-RA...ZZuz6P&vxp=mtr

Hedman 38040 Chikara
https://www.andysautosport.com/produ...an__38040.html

HP Racing Header - hard to find

04 05 Honda Civic EX stock header
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-MANI...AOSwWWxY%7E4-e

OBX Racing SS Exhaust Manifold Header w/ Downpipe 01-05 Honda Civic EX 1.7L
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Racing-S...SiCIeA&vxp=mtr

OBX Exhaust Manifold Headers Fit For 01-05 1.7L Honda Civic EX
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-...QNdJJQ&vxp=mtr
Old 10-07-2017
Registered!!

I've decided to to turbo and try to push 10-15psi i know ill need to upgrade my valve train, piatons, crankshaft, camshaft, cam gear, and my connecting rods but unsure of what size of that stuff I should get and what would be best for it. Any suggestens or any recommendation?
Old 10-10-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Also fuel pump and injectors. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the RSX 310cc injectors will be good for that level of boost. I have a set laying around if you need. Also, a walbro 255lph pump is pretty much the go-to pump to use.

Valve train: did some research and really, you'd only have to upgrade if you run a different cam. Highly recommended if you wanna make "cheap" power with a boost setup, given that all of crower's cams for the D17A2 all run the same exact price. Stage 1 is a drop in. Stage 2 and 3 require valve springs and retainers, as well as a tune. I should add that the legendary D17 turbo build that was on this site (ended up at 489whp and 360ft-lbs tq at 31psi) said that he got an instant 75whp by going from a stock to stage 2 cam. Here's his dyno chart for his boosted d17 for kicks and giggles

Pistons: Lower compression lets you run more boost safer. If I remember correctly, wiseco pistons were the go-to for D17 builds. Something like the 8.8:1 CR pistons were what people making power used.

The thing that's gonna make or break your turbo setup is your tune. You can have the best components in the world, but with a **** tune, you'll kill it fast. That said, fuel delivery and management is key.
Old 10-11-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for all the replys been a lot of help. ill be getting (when money is at hand) a crower stage 2 cam, a stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel, wiseco 75.5mm pistons, my head ported and polished and a walbro 255lph but I'm still having trouble finding stuff on a crankshaft and what size of connecting rods would be best. Any advice?
Old 10-11-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Crank you shouldn't have to worry about.

Also, gonna be honest. Didn't know there were different sized connecting rods for the D17. Figured they were all the same length

edit: here's a mod list for a dude that used to be on here (mod list taken from another forum). He was making 322whp at 22psi on 91 octane.
Darton Sleeves
Crower rods f/i rods
Weisco pistons - custom comp of 7 1/4 -1
Crower valvetrain
Crower stage 2 Boost Cam
Dezod Boost Race Manifold
Gt2871r Dual Ball Bearing
Tial 44 mm External Wastegate
Custom Fuel Return Setup
Walbro 255
750 injecectors
3 bar map sensor
Aem EMS
De-Stroked to a 1.6 litter basically
2.5 inch exhaust With Custom Strait pipe and Greddy Evo 2 tip
SF turbo Intercooler and piping
Doesn't mention connecting rods or crankshaft

edit 2: can't find jack for different sized connecting rods for the D17. Found a bunch (notably crower has a set to be used with aftermarket pistons only) and they run a grand for a 4-set. I vaguely recall someone having to notch their block to fit other connecting rods, too. Don't quote me on that because it's a hazy recollection

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 10-11-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Crank you shouldn't have to worry about.

Also, gonna be honest. Didn't know there were different sized connecting rods for the D17. Figured they were all the same length

edit: here's a mod list for a dude that used to be on here (mod list taken from another forum). He was making 322whp at 22psi on 91 octane.

Doesn't mention connecting rods or crankshaft

edit 2: can't find jack for different sized connecting rods for the D17. Found a bunch (notably crower has a set to be used with aftermarket pistons only) and they run a grand for a 4-set. I vaguely recall someone having to notch their block to fit other connecting rods, too. Don't quote me on that because it's a hazy recollection
Thank you for the reply and for the list that helps ALOT. There was a crower stroksr kit I thought would work with different rod lengths That's why I was wondering but turned out it was for any make and model honda with a k20 engine.
Old 10-12-2017
Administrator
Administrator

K24, actually, but that's neither here nor there
Old 10-13-2017
Registered!!

Sorry this might be a stupid question but your talking bout the rsx 310cc fuel injectors from a k20 correct? If so would u happen to know if they'll fit in a d16y8 intake mani?

Search this Thread