Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Maximizing 7th gen fuel efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicenthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Maximizing 7th gen fuel efficiency

So, I have a 2005 civic LX, which already gets pretty good MPG, but I'm wondering how to maximize it.

From what I understand there isn't a whole lot you can do to increase MPG. There are obvious things like decreasing weight and changing driving habits, regularly checking tire pressure and having good tread. I see mixed messages as far as modifications that can increase MPG.

Like the K&N 33-2192 High Performance Replacement Air Filter, where people say it has increased their MPG, where as others will say the difference is negligible.

As far as performance chips, some people say they work others say it's a gimmick that does absolutely nothing.

I was under the impression that increasing your HP meant you sacrifice MPG, especially for those that don't drive on the highway. Is it best to stay stock or try to increase your HP to increase MPG? I want to know peoples experience with this.
Old 06-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Maximizing 7th gen fuel efficiency

Get rid of the ac system and power steering. Get rid of excess electronic accessories so they dont make the alt work hard. Convert to a manual transmission, auto trans wastes engine power on the fluid coupling inside the torque converter specially taking off from stops. You can also make your car more aerodynamic by fabing body panels, and covering the whole bottom of the car so air flows freely.
Old 06-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicenthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol my main question is if it's better to stick to stock or to try and increase HP. Because I thought increase in HP = decrease in MPG.
Old 06-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand there isn't a whole lot you can do to increase MPG.
Disagree on AC and PS. I want some modicum of comfort.
Re AC use, the car is probably more aerodynamic at highway speeds with the windows rolled up, to equal or greater than the loss due to use of AC.

Make it light, aerodynamic, and decrease rolling resistance as much as possible
change habits.....change mindset

Goggle

hypermiler
ecomodder
Old 06-10-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by civicenthusiast
Lol my main question is if it's better to stick to stock or to try and increase HP. Because I thought increase in HP = decrease in MPG.

More horsepower means more air through the engine, more air means more fuel to balance the Air to fuel ratio.

The only way to make power is to run

-High compression
-boost
-NO2

All of which run more air and require more fuel.
Old 06-11-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

After installing my crower stage 1 cam, I saw increase in MPG, I need stay less in the gas pedal to achieve same acceleration. Reach speed faster

But people that puts the cam wants to stomp more in the gas. That could negate the gains, plain and simple.
Old 06-16-2017
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

I always average 30mpg +-2 mpg per tank. Im very happy with that..
I want the crower cam
Old 06-16-2017
Grey hair

CharlieDee is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving it like it's stolen still gets me 35-38mpg in my very slow and underpowered 01 LX Coupe. The trick is knowing it's slow and not trying to go fast, though on the freeway the cruise is set at 80