Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Why is it better to tune/improve performance on manuals than autos?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niaboc67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why is it better to tune/improve performance on manuals than autos?

I was reading on here about how you shouldn't put a turbo on an auto but it's a good idea on a manual. Could someone explain why if you are going to start a project car and put performance parts on it that it's best if it's a manual?

Thank you
Old 01-09-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Why is it better to tune/improve performance on manuals than autos?

An automatic transmission can't handle the extra power as well (of course if you have a Corvette it can because the trans was built to handle it). With a manual you can put in a heavy duty clutch to handle extra power. They are also simpler by design so there is less that can go wrong.

You can turbo an automatic but it will soon get to a point where you can't add anymore power because the transmission can't handle it.
Old 01-09-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Plus 01-02 autotrans are notorious for early failure
Old 01-09-2016
Registered!!

Canosgmk is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any numbers what an auto transmission can handle before the torque converter gives out?

Also, have anyone tried upgrading the torque converter?

As well, did anyone drop the transmission pan and upgrade the springs to heavier duty ones so you get quicker shifts?
Old 01-09-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any numbers what an auto transmission can handle before the torque converter gives out?

Also, have anyone tried upgrading the torque converter?
Have you looked around to see who offers a high(er) performance torque converter for this application, and how much it's gonna cost?

If you do turbo and dyno your car and tell us your numbers, then experience how long the transmission holds up with the power adder on the engine, post your results here and we'll all know.

As well, did anyone drop the transmission pan and upgrade the springs to heavier duty ones so you get quicker shifts?
Look under the car and let us know when you find the transmission pan and figure out how easy it is to drop it.

Did you price the spring kit/shift kit yet?

This ain't a TH400 or 4L80E.

Most people who want a faster 07 Civic start with an SI instead of a DX.
People with DX LX and EX get to enjoy fuel economy and saving money instead of tire roasting performance.

I know there are a few R engines that have been turbo'd, but I don't know if any were done with an automatic trans.
I do not know how much pressure the plastic intake manifold can safely handle either.

Hondas automatic transmissions haven't had the best track record in the world, but IMO the reliability did improve tremendously around the mid-2000's. Not bulletproof, but improved.
I know there can be performance advantages to using an auto trans, but the manual is generally considered more reliable and there is some aftermarket support for them.

Last edited by ezone; 01-10-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

?

He was asking about a 2003 in another of his threads, so I thought he have a 7th gen?
Old 01-10-2016
Registered!!

Canosgmk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Have you looked around to see who offers a high(er) performance torque converter for this application, and how much it's gonna cost?
For a civic? Not yet. Normally I find them around 500.00. That is why I'm asking here if anyone one else has done it. My search on these forums have not turned up favorably.

If you do turbo and dyno your car and tell us your numbers, then experience how long the transmission holds up with the power adder on the engine, post your results here and we'll all know.
Again, I'm asking here because my search for builds do not come up with anything.

Look under the car and let us know when you find the transmission pan and figure out how easy it is to drop it
Every auto transmission has valves and springs that control its shifting speed which in turn is connected to a computer. I'm finding these statements snarky and unwarranted.

Did you price the spring kit/shift kit yet?
Again, I'm asking here before googling around seeing people do a lot of mods here. I'm seeing this is more of a 'I got a SI and go fast. Screw everyone else' type of forums.

this ain't a TH400 or 4L80E.

Most people who want a faster 07 Civic start with an SI instead of a DX.
Ya. I have done builds on SUV, classic small blocks, air cool and newer German cars. I know there is a limitation on every block. However, when someone asked for help and guidance and you do not Know the answer or you know there hasn't been a build like that yet, just say so. Being snarky and dosnt help the community.

My last build was. 04 Passat 1.8t auto transmission. With the community of the forums I was on, we as a group found people willing to machine and make new parts to achieve different standards. I took a 160hp family car to 235hp fun little whip. It didn't bet any z28s or SI, but it was fun and enjoyable because I built it.

I know there are a few R engines that have been turbo'd, but I don't know if any were done with an automatic trans.
I do not know how much pressure the plastic intake manifold can safely handle either.

Hondas automatic transmissions haven't had the best track record in the world, but IMO the reliability did improve tremendously around the mid-2000's. Not bulletproof, but improved.
I know there can be performance advantages to using an auto trans, but the manual is generally considered more reliable and there is some aftermarket support for them.
100% agree. For sure, the CAI will have to be replaced as well as other issues (injectors, exhaust mani, oil pump, etc).

Manual IS the way for any build, but sometimes we auto stick guys are stuck with what we go and just want to add 30-40% more to the road.
Old 01-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
?

He was asking about a 2003 in another of his threads, so I thought he have a 7th gen?
Thread moved back to 7th, because I can't read. We got two posters asking questions in the same thread, I looked at history of the wrong one.

Originally Posted by Canosgmk
For a civic? Not yet. Normally I find them around 500.00. That is why I'm asking here if anyone one else has done it. My search on these forums have not turned up favorably.

Again, I'm asking here because my search for builds do not come up with anything.

Every auto transmission has valves and springs that control its shifting speed which in turn is connected to a computer. I'm finding these statements snarky and unwarranted.
You asked about dropping the trans pan, that means you haven't looked under the car....... Snark earned on that one.

I've not seen go faster parts for a Honda Civic automatic trans either. I really don't think there is much aftermarket support for what you want to do. If your searches are fruitless, your next best bet might be to contact a few builders to see if it can be done. I'm sure with enough money and time someone somewhere can make it happen.

Study up on Hondas automatic transmission design. They are not traditional in any sense of the word, there are no planetary gear sets.. It looks more like a hydraulically shifted manual transmission.

If you go inside a TC then look at beefing up the TCC, it's not just for highway anymore. It can be applied in every gear in the stock programming on most of Hondas cars.

IDK if the custom ECM/PCM tuner people have a solution for PCM controlled automatic trans either.

Again, I'm asking here before googling around seeing people do a lot of mods here. I'm seeing this is more of a 'I got a SI and go fast. Screw everyone else' type of forums.
Cuz SI got the bigger engine to begin with in the US. (Si-R in Canada?)
I know there is a limitation on every block.
I'd hope a 50% power increase could be done on a stock bottom end and still be fairly reliable. What would that be, 10-12PSI boost?

Some people have gotten insane power out of Hondas engines on a stock bottom end. Reliability might suffer a wee bit LOL.
Being snarky and dosnt help the community.
*hangs head in shame, shuffles to the time out corner*

we as a group found people willing to machine and make new parts to achieve different standards.
THERE you go! You already know someone LOL

It didn't bet any z28s or SI, but it was fun and enjoyable because I built it.
You just compared to an SI. That's why all the cool kids build on the SI.

100% agree. For sure, the CAI will have to be replaced as well as other issues (injectors, exhaust mani, oil pump, etc).
Oil pump? Why? Bottom end is stock, right? Who makes a go faster oil pump for an R engine?
Old 01-10-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

The thing is that the 7gen are not the best ones, especially to increase power, even less to improve handling.

The ones that might have done power increase asked about, but never came back to report the results. So, yes, they wanted to take the knowledge, but did not want to give back knowledge of what they learned, so we here in the forums are left empty.

It's not snarky at all, we give the best answer we can, but members (90%) will complain that there's not information on the forums, but will never come back to reply on their results.

Unless you already have a heavily modified auto car, or you have a disability that prevents you to get a manual, it's financially advantageous to get a manual to modify instead