Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Exhaust broke and need new

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inkubus is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust broke and need new

Hey

So I had this exhaust, the Spec-D tuning N1 style catback:
Amazon.com: Honda Civic 2 4 Dr Ex Model Catback Exhaust System 02 03 04: Automotive Amazon.com: Honda Civic 2 4 Dr Ex Model Catback Exhaust System 02 03 04: Automotive

I bought it for $100 discounted from Amazon last year. Recently, and please excuse my lack of proper part names, the mesh tube inside that holds all the fibers in the muffler broke off (was rusted) and came out the back of the muffler when I was driving a few days ago. I called their customer support and oh look big surprise, the warranty was only 90 days and its been a year.

So basically **** this thing. The chrome rusted fast and the midpipe ****in hangs low. My car is stock suspension and it scraps on some bumps sometimes. That's pretty terrible. Other than that it worked as well as an exhaust should and the muffler honestly had a great sound, I loved it. Pretty loud, not terribly so, nice and deep. Oh well..

So, car is 2002 Civic EX. Are there any good exhausts for around the same price that won't break?

I know there's a whole rate my exhaust thread stickied. That's where I found this exhaust originally. But it's so big, and I have no idea if any of those are the current best or were the best in say 2006 lol.

Obviously I can't afford these super expensive ones...but any help would be appreciated. Just brand names or anything would be helpful. Thanks guys.
Old 06-26-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Exhaust broke and need new

Originally Posted by Inkubus
So, car is 2002 Civic EX. Are there any good exhausts for around the same price that won't break?
No. They are that cheap for a reason. If you want it to last your going to need to spend more money on better materials. Magnaflow is a decently priced exhaust system. There are probably ones that are better then the one you had and aren not as much as the Magnaflow but I am not sure what those are.

A muffler shop could probably do a custom one for not to much money.
Old 06-26-2015
Registered!!

Not too much for you maybe...if it has the word "custom" in it I know I need to stay clear lest I don't wanna eat for months.

Honestly the fact it was a $300 exhaust I didn't think it would be that cheaply made. Especially considering the exhaust that came on the damn car lasted for 12 years before it crapped out. So what, I have to spend $1000+ to get an exhaust that will last as long as the shitty one that came on the car originally? Lol

EDIT: I'll have to find a good shop around here and see maybe they can fix that pipe that sticks down and I can just get a muffler.

Last edited by Inkubus; 06-26-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Inkubus
Especially considering the exhaust that came on the damn car lasted for 12 years before it crapped out.
And how much does a new OEM one cost? Thats why it lasted that long.

So what, I have to spend $1000+ to get an exhaust that will last as long as the shitty one that came on the car originally? Lol
I didn't say you need to spend that much. The Magnaflow is not $1000, more like $500.

I'll have to find a good shop around here and see maybe they can fix that pipe that sticks down and I can just get a muffler.
Muffler work is not that expensive, ask see what they say.

Other option is getting an OE one from a junk yard car.
Old 06-26-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
And how much does a new OEM one cost? Thats why it lasted that long.
I don't know I can't find one lol.

I didn't say you need to spend that much. The Magnaflow is not $1000, more like $500.
Yeah you're right. I did see some $1k ones. I was just exaggerating.

Muffler work is not that expensive, ask see what they say.

Other option is getting an OE one from a junk yard car.
Yeah the cost to weld a new one on is pretty cheap. Reshaping the midpipe is what worries me. Thanks for your help by the way