Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

BC Turbo cams.

Old 11-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05gen7ex is an unknown quantity at this point
BC Turbo cams.

So me and my uncle are looking at starting a turbo build on my 05 EX sedan, and I have been browsing the forum on necessary parts and what not. This has raised a few questions. First off i was wondering, would it hurt my car if I got the Turbo cam without having a turbo. I want to make as much power as possible while I am in the process of the build. I dont wanna buy one cam and then have to get another later on, if that makes since... any help would be great. Also, i dont really wanna hear the normal "turbo is the waste of time, just kswap it" cuz i am not interested in doing that. Its not a waste of money if its what i wanna do... thanks.
Old 11-23-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: BC Turbo cams.

You can run the turbo cam without a turbo but you will probably need to get the engine management first. With a stage 2 cam you need new valve springs and hondata so if the turbo cam has similiar lift durations then your also going to need to new springs and hondata (or another type of ECU reprogrammer). You can call crower and they might be able to tell you more. Since your going to need hondata and springs anyway then it wouldn't be a waste of your money.
Old 11-23-2012
Registered!!

Thats what I was thinking, I knew about the springs, retainers, and ECU. I have not decided on Hondata or AEM EMS but am leading towards the K-Pro. Are there other parts that can still be used without the turbo, as this build will prolly take a while.
Old 11-24-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

K-Pro is the best and if you don't use it, it will just be a tunning nightmare. I can't think of anything else that you could use now besides the cam. Maybe polyurethane motor mounts to help with the extra power!
Old 11-24-2012
Registered!!

Sweet thanks, I have never done any sort of engine build so im new to this. Was just looking at my options. as far as exhaust for the turbo set up, is there anything different of will any exhaust do? Also, my goal is around 350hp, I know this engine is crappy but thats y i wanna try it. it wil be a LONG time before i get there but at what HP will the transmission need to be forged, also is it necessary to do anything to the crank shaft (knife edge, or forging)
Old 11-24-2012
Prelude Owner

With a turbo your probably going to have to run a 3in exhaust which is to large for none boost and remove the cat also. That is something that you probably have to get custom made. 350 hp is a lot out of that little engine. It's a tough build which is why people swap but I think it's better to take the road less traveled when it comes to boost or swap. As far as the crank, I have no idea. I would highly doubt the stock one could take over 250hp but I don't know. Maybe someone else will know!