Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

AEM V2 on 05 civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
InexCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM V2 on 05 civic

I've done plenty of research and i've come to a conclusion that I want to purchase a AEM V2 intake for my 2005 civic coupe.

I already have a magnaflow exhaust, and I've heard that they both sound great together.

What I really want to know, I've seen older versions of civics where the actual filter goes down by the front right tire, would this be true for a 2005 coupe? Or would it stay in the engine area and be able to fit?

I know hardly anything about cars, so go ahead give me any opinions you might have on the AEM V2
Old 11-08-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AEM V2 on 05 civic

AEMV2 is only sold as a short ram intake for the 01-05 civics, not cold air. so it will stay in the engine compartment.
Old 11-08-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
AEMV2 is only sold as a short ram intake for the 01-05 civics, not cold air. so it will stay in the engine compartment.
Is a Cold Air intake better than a Short ram for a civic or whats the difference and so forth? im not looking honestly for the best performance other than the sound and maybe some torque. Horsepower isnt in my best interest.

I was looking toward one of these : and it says Cold air..
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A2060A0A0.aspx
Old 11-08-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is really no power difference between the two on these cars. maybe 1 hp difference. and the cold air is easier to suck in water and ruin the engine. like i said, if you order a v2 for 01-05 civic it only comes in the short ram version. there are pics of it installed in the member galleries here.
Old 11-08-2011
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point

Short rams also produce a more noticeable sound in my experience.
Old 11-08-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by iridehonda
Short rams also produce a more noticeable sound in my experience.
Would it be a good sound to correspond to the low rumble of a magnaflow exhaust?
Old 11-09-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Never heard an intake sound that I didn't like (turbo, supercharched, short ram, CAI, etc).

My V2 is definitely louder than my Exmag above 3K RPM. Not necessarily a bad thing in my book. To answer your question - Yes, it should compliment your Magnaflow exhaust quite nicely.
Old 11-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Never heard an intake sound that I didn't like (turbo, supercharched, short ram, CAI, etc).

My V2 is definitely louder than my Exmag above 3K RPM. Not necessarily a bad thing in my book. To answer your question - Yes, it should compliment your Magnaflow exhaust quite nicely.
Thanks! an answer i've been looking for lol
Old 11-09-2011
Premium Member

you hear the exhaust down low (0-3k rpms) and intake up high (3-6k rpms) for the most part. the intake will be silent unless you mash on the gas. the more throttle, the louder the intake.
Old 11-10-2011
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

I have had the V2 on my motor for a little more than two years now and have had no complaints but one. The positioning of the intake in our year model cars is relatively queezed between the battery box and the return for the coolant hose of the rad, thus heat exchange through the intake is higher than the cold air so having this design is disadvantagous. But so are most if not all Ram air systems. On the heat issue I recommend wrapping it as the rubber lines for the accelerator and cruise control will slowly melt on the V2's tubing. Other than that it roars and has a friggin sweet *** wizzing sound when you blast the gas. However, there is an issue but not serios one with the fitment of the air intake system and the overall length of the oxygen sensor, it seems to vibrate of slowly work itself out of the system but not fully dislodge. Unfortunantly there is no way I know of to extend the sensor beyond the trick of trimming the tape which surrrounds it.
Old 11-10-2011
Registered!!

you hear the exhaust down low (0-3k rpms) and intake up high (3-6k rpms) for the most part. the intake will be silent unless you mash on the gas. the more throttle, the louder the intake.
Not to just completely throw off your answer which i respect, but i personally hear the exhaust through all RPM's, and i tend to think it gets better higher up. But thats just me, so I believe its gonna be a great sound.
Old 11-10-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Balzdpr
I have had the V2 on my motor for a little more than two years now and have had no complaints but one. The positioning of the intake in our year model cars is relatively queezed between the battery box and the return for the coolant hose of the rad, thus heat exchange through the intake is higher than the cold air so having this design is disadvantagous. But so are most if not all Ram air systems. On the heat issue I recommend wrapping it as the rubber lines for the accelerator and cruise control will slowly melt on the V2's tubing. Other than that it roars and has a friggin sweet *** wizzing sound when you blast the gas. However, there is an issue but not serios one with the fitment of the air intake system and the overall length of the oxygen sensor, it seems to vibrate of slowly work itself out of the system but not fully dislodge. Unfortunantly there is no way I know of to extend the sensor beyond the trick of trimming the tape which surrrounds it.
Well i just ordered it, so I guess we'll see how it goes lol

Last edited by InexCivic; 11-10-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2011
Registered!!

ac_2007 will become famous soon enough

LOL, you know the AEM CAI replica intake costs $31.99 on ebay right? One pipe may be used instead of the 2 it comes with to make it a SRI, just add your own filter if you don't trust the flashy one it comes with.

The seller "bestcarpart" literally sent me this AEM PDF instruction for how to install it http://www.aemintakes.com/instructio...1-502_inst.pdf
Old 11-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ac_2007
LOL, you know the AEM CAI replica intake costs $31.99 on ebay right? One pipe may be used instead of the 2 it comes with to make it a SRI, just add your own filter if you don't trust the flashy one it comes with.

The seller "bestcarpart" literally sent me this AEM PDF instruction for how to install it http://www.aemintakes.com/instructio...1-502_inst.pdf
Well I did'nt want a replica, I had the money to spend, so I wanted the real thing. the intake took about 45 minutes to install, the instructions were as simple as could be, and it sounds absolutely amazing. I don't regret buying it at all. As for performance, like I said driving around the city i could really give a rip. This V2 absolutely screams when your at high rpms, and its just amazing.
Old 11-17-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Pics? Let's see it.
Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

ac_2007 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by InexCivic
Well I did'nt want a replica, I had the money to spend, so I wanted the real thing. the intake took about 45 minutes to install, the instructions were as simple as could be, and it sounds absolutely amazing. I don't regret buying it at all. As for performance, like I said driving around the city i could really give a rip. This V2 absolutely screams when your at high rpms, and its just amazing.
You realize the only difference between the replica and the real thing is a sticker and the cone? $40 vs $300+

Any performance you feel is a placebo from the sound -Which isn't that loud either. Removing the stock airbox resonator is louder.
Old 11-25-2011
Registered!!

[IMG]
Old 11-29-2011
A scene before your eyes

It looks pretty much like all the ones I have seen, however, all the ones I have seen have had the larger looking three to five inch in diameter filter and have been grey in color. And I think the bend where the two pipes meet is a little off in your picture. At least on my pipe the bend is sharper allowing for a greater diameter filter. I have sence remover the dryflow and opted for a K&N filter wich looks like a midgit compared to the original AEM.
Yet, It's been so long from that time till now thgat the AEM filter you have may indeed be the same size as mine was. What is the diameter of yours?
Im not certain rather the diameter has anything to do with performance but it sure looks beastly when larger.
Old 11-29-2011
A scene before your eyes

Originally Posted by ac_2007
You realize the only difference between the replica and the real thing is a sticker and the cone? $40 vs $300+

Any performance you feel is a placebo from the sound -Which isn't that loud either. Removing the stock airbox resonator is louder.
That sucks about the price.
Cause I dont use the stickers any way. I threww them out after I got them.

Oh yea, your absolutely correct that resonator keeps these cars very quiet. When you remove it you get a flushing growl from under the hood. And in fact I would have kept it that way. But I was under the impression that the air from the intake would be a little bit cooler. Not so sure about that now though.

Last edited by Balzdpr; 11-29-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Added comment regarding qoute
Old 11-29-2011
EM2ti

Originally Posted by Balzdpr
It looks pretty much like all the ones I have seen, however, all the ones I have seen have had the larger looking three to five inch in diameter filter and have been grey in color. And I think the bend where the two pipes meet is a little off in your picture. At least on my pipe the bend is sharper allowing for a greater diameter filter. I have sence remover the dryflow and opted for a K&N filter wich looks like a midgit compared to the original AEM.
Yet, It's been so long from that time till now thgat the AEM filter you have may indeed be the same size as mine was. What is the diameter of yours?
Im not certain rather the diameter has anything to do with performance but it sure looks beastly when larger.
I dropped my AEM 5" Dryflow for a K&N 4" RX-4140 XStream Straight Cone

I sacrificed a bit with my service interval, effective area and filtration but increased the distance from the engine and the amount of "cooler" airflow around the cone. The front airdraw is an added bonus, as well (I've got a 2" hose from the front right brake duct in my bumper, feeding the filter. One of thse days I'll fully shroud it). All placebo effect, I know.
Old 11-29-2011
Premium Member

i honestly dont know why anyone would switch from dryflow to K&N. your filtration rate just went from 99.9% down to 92% with no usable air flow increase. the dryflow already flows nearly 2x as much air as our car needs at WOT.
Old 11-29-2011
EM2ti

i honestly dont know why anyone would switch from dryflow to K&N. your filtration rate just went from 99.9% down to 92% with no usable air flow increase. the dryflow already flows nearly 2x as much air as our car needs at WOT.
Yes, you're absolutely right about the dryflow - it's better filter. I've just got a weird fetish for K&N filters.
Old 11-30-2011
A scene before your eyes

You have got to be kidding me man. 99.9-92. I won't believe it. Everything I have read in here so far has shown that K&N is just as comprable as any dry flow technology and in fact provides better filtration. If your right I'm going to be pissed cause I forked out to much f-ING money for that filter. Purchase of that filter was based on consumer reviews in here by reperable members of this forum. **** **** **** man! But if you are right then I'm going to pray that piece of crap filter fits my atv. Cause that's where its going.
Old 11-30-2011
A scene before your eyes

Old 11-30-2011
Premium Member

lol you mustve missed my 5 yr old rant about K&N filters. they are basically for racing purposes only where dirt is not an issue since the engines are rebuilt every season anyway. i had one for a few months back in the days and ruined my car. nasty sticky dirt and oil everywhere, SAND in my vtec solenoid and all over throttle body parts, etc. since switching to oiled foam (weapon-r) and currently aem dryflow universal filter (its actually made by K&N lol), the intake and related parts are perfectly clean. so yeah i shouldve been more specific. K&N does make "regular" junk filters for racing and they also make the dryflow. if you hold both up to the sun, the difference is the dryflow will not let any light thru. and it requires a special cleaning fluid (also made by K&N) for synthetic dry filter cleaning. i have a huge spray bottle of it i still havent used. those dryflows stay clean for a long time. it says "K&N synthetic air filter cleaner, specifically formulated for synthetic and dryflow air filters" and i picked it up at summit (in the back, not on the shelf). spray on both sides, spray the dirty side more, let sit 10 mins in a plastic bag, wash with warm or cool water from inside out, let dry overnight. i need to pick up a second filter so i have a spare when cleaning the old one.

anything below 98% filtration for an air filter will not meet oem specs and therefore void any factory warranty you might have (for the engine and related parts).

Last edited by gearbox; 11-30-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2011
Registered!!

All i know is money put aside I got what I wanted and im absolutely in love. and that's what matters to me most. So you guys can say what you want lol but I know I did what suits me best.
Old 11-30-2011
A scene before your eyes

I did miss that. I have only been here for less than a year now. You shoulda seen how f-ing fast I went outside and put my old dryflow back on. Whew!!!!!
Old 11-30-2011
Premium Member

yeah aem dumped their entire stock of cotton gauze oiled filters a few yrs ago in favor of dryflow after too many people complained. i think it was a very good move.