Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Best Exhaust tip? How will it sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic.Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Best Exhaust tip? How will it sound?

Hello, I am looking into getting an exhaust tip, no big deal really, but I came here because I know very little about this...And it is especially hard when buying online, because there's no way to know how it is going to sound! I know the look I like, but I am wondering about the sound..I obviously want considerably more sound than stock is, but not so loud that it can be heard a mile away and gets annoying over time..How can I determine which that would be? I think my friend said there's some sort of part that you can get, and that some even come with, that can be added to make it sound normal or quieter again- what is this and how do i know if the one i am getting includes this? Also, there are many different lengths- is there anything more to that than just the look preferred, or does that also affect the sound? This is my first time buying one so I dont know about this really. On ebay, i see lots that have the burnt tip..but my friend who knows a lot about cars mentioned that that is bad and they burn quicker and dont last as long ,is that true? I do like their look a little better. Is it important that I get one of a certain type of metal or anything? Please let me in on everything you know about this, thanks a lot
Old 09-23-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Exhaust tip? How will it sound?

usually the proper way to install a tip is by sliding it over the stock exhaust pipe and using the included bolts to secure it. a tip should never make any extra sound on its own. and its prolly best to get one locally so you can try it on and make sure it fits.
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

just stay away from cheap canister coffee can looking exhaust and you should be fine get like apexi Ws2 or vibrant street power something like this http://www.thmotorsports.com/vibrant...5/i-37096.aspx
Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

dta4civic is an unknown quantity at this point

YES!!! no bullcrap exhaust system. your better off spending the extra dime. just get an Apexi, HKS....etc. plus if you really don't want the cops on your tail i would definitely keep it at a moderate decibel. i find the smaller ones to be more (usually) horse power and in some cases miles per gallon. hope this helped.
Old 09-24-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

For the sake of yourself and everyone else, don't buy anything not legit off of eBay. Just....don't. Go with a trusted brand. I do know, however, that some cars do actually come with tips. My friend's old Protege had one IIRC.
Old 09-24-2010
Registered!!

Civic.Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Gearbox, you said to buy one locally- where would there be a good selection? I would of course much rather do it that way, especially because I am wary of the fact that all of the tips on ebay almost never say any brand name, and its hard to tell by LOOKS how well made it is! Plus, might as well save on shipping anyway! Thanks
Old 09-24-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

3A racing makes some pretty normal looking tips that arent too big. check pepboys, advance auto parts, kragen, autozone, napa, oreilly, summit, etc. most will let you try it on the car before buying. so long as it slides onto the factory exhaust tip and can bolt into place tightly, you should be fine.
Old 09-24-2010
Registered!!

YueMa7493 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
3A racing makes some pretty normal looking tips that arent too big. check pepboys, advance auto parts, kragen, autozone, napa, oreilly, summit, etc. most will let you try it on the car before buying. so long as it slides onto the factory exhaust tip and can bolt into place tightly, you should be fine.
Hey gearbox, I am also interested in replacing my exhaust. It's just too loud and sounds like a can lol. (maybe it'll sound better with a swap?)

What's a great performance exhaust? idgaf about sound, (i rather have it sound deep with true power than like a fart can)

Last edited by YueMa7493; 09-24-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Civic.Girl
Gearbox, you said to buy one locally- where would there be a good selection? I would of course much rather do it that way, especially because I am wary of the fact that all of the tips on ebay almost never say any brand name, and its hard to tell by LOOKS how well made it is! Plus, might as well save on shipping anyway! Thanks
or any honda dealer will have tips to give you examples of the shapes and then order one online from here http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/produ...coupe-exterior or from the dealer.