Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

hp racing header

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute
hp racing header

I am looking at the hp racing header for my 02 civic ex and was looking for anyone who has any experience with it. I am mainly concerned with the bolt on process and how easy/hard it is (any issues or extra parts I may need to order). Probably going to order from TrueHonda.com. Thanks
Old 02-24-2007
Registered!!

03logic is an unknown quantity at this point
has some clearance issues with the frame, however it seems like some people have worse issues than others. Its a good header if it fits though. The most i've seen anyone have to take off is maybe an inch and a half long and less than a quarter of an inch deep. Installing is a little of a pain, but theres a walkthrough on this site somewhere if your unsure of yourself.

It doesn't come with a new header gasket, so its up to you if you want to use the old one or get a new one. New ones are only like $8 though.

overall, I'd say on a 1-5 scale, 5 being the best/most difficult:
looks: 5
performance: ??
ease of install: 1 (only about a saturday afternoon's work)
Old 02-24-2007
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute
It looks like I will be getting a greddy evo2 as well, will everything bolt up alright?
Old 02-25-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
If your getting a race header, make sure it doesnt wrap under the engine like some other race headers do. If that happens, you'r downpipe will need to be replaced, or modified at a muffler shop- and thats not one of the more easy pipes to modify. Def buy a new gasket, once you take your header off, replace it- its a bitch if you dont. Also, there is a spacer/gasket that you should replace that connects between the header and the downpipe. Your new header may come with it, it may not, I dont know- it might not even fit on there, but check it out, kuz it basically plugs up the connection so you dont have an exhaust leak in your engine bay. The bolts are a bitch to get off for the header/downpipe connection point- access them from underneath since the nuts are welded to the header from the top. Anyways, your header should be good. After that, your cat- I'm not sure if the hangers are different for the sedan vs the coupe, I've never been under a sedan- but when I ordered my exhaust, they had two different version so make sure u get it right, or your hangers could be in the wrong spot. I cant remember if there is a gasket between the downpipe and the first catback pipe- there should be I think, really cant remember- just make sure you have the right gaskets so you dont have exhaust leaks under the hood. Getting the header off was the hardest part for me, one bolt would just not come off, I broke three sockets trying to get it off, they all split- craftsman too. If you dont have an impact gun, get your socket on the nut, and grab a hammer and tap the handle in spurts- gives the same effect as an impact wrench (~200 bucks). It will get your bolts off in no time.. oh yeah, wait 2 hrs after you drive your car before you start working on it- that header gets hot QUICK- even pulling it in the garage from the curb.. plan for that. Other then that, throwing a catback on shouldnt take very long at all, half hour or so once your on jackstands. I shot some white lithium grease on the rubber hangers so I could slide the hangers out out of it with ease, hasnt affected the rubber at all since. Everything should bolt up nicely- exhaust mfg's do a good job of making sure the stuff fits and hangs correctly. I just did this last weekend- its real easy once you get the fvckin header off- lol, took me forever with that one bolt until A friend told me about the hammer trick (duh). If you snap the head off a bolt, your really fvcked- you’ll have to use an easyout which consists of drilling into the bolt and uhh, it looks like a pain in the ***. Other then that you should be good. Remember to grease/lube your bolts and nuts when you put them back on… Oh, also with the header bolts that connects it to the head, it’s a good idea to use some kind of a substance to penetrate it (various brands, just look at some auto stores, or home improvement stores and you’ll find some, I’m sure some ppl have preferences but they pretty much all do the same trick) and let it soak for overnight, or at least a few hrs.. apply some to the nuts after your drive the car in the garage. And don’t leave your car on jacks, put jack stands under it- getting under your car when its on a jack is real stupid! Good luck man. If you have any questions I can help.
Old 02-25-2007
Registered!!

03logic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HonCiv02
It looks like I will be getting a greddy evo2 as well, will everything bolt up alright?
as far as I know of, yes. I had that setup with the stock muffler until I changed to the tenrai catback and went back to the stock cat and header.

the HP header and high flow cat bolted up perfect to the stock exhaust pipes, so if the EVO2 bolts up perfect to the stock header and cat, it would make sense that it would bolt up to the HP header and cat.
Old 02-25-2007
Registered!!

I appreciate all the info you guys have to offer. Thanks
Old 03-12-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TRIZ
I just did this last weekend- its real easy once you get the fvckin header off- lol, took me forever with that one bolt until A friend told me about the hammer trick (duh).
is the hammer trick, hit it on like 2 sides for a little, then try it again TRIZ?