Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Loss in low end with FIPK

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hysteria4u is an unknown quantity at this point
Loss in low end with FIPK

There is a significant loss in low end torque with the FIPK compared to stock.

Do you think it would help if:

I fabricate a 'box' to house the FIPK's K&N filter and then feed cold air to this box via ducting either from where the original stock intake takes air from or from the fog light area - the box would be fairly air-tight and the function is to prevent it from taking in warm air (the air temp here averages 33 Degrees Cel) and also to act as a storage of air

My driving style is pretty much 3500rpm and below most of the time (thanks to gas prices) but there is the occasional trip to the 5-6000 rpm region (to clear carbon, so I tell the wife).

I like the design of the FIPK as it really helps in the upper revs, but I would like to modify the current heatshield design so that city driving is not affected.

Appreciate advice and opinions please, before I embark on this project. I plan to build the box out of aluminium and cover it with heat insulation material. Top of the box will be sealed shut using bolts and locknuts.
Old 04-11-2005
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
usually when you cover up the filter element in a box.. and subsequently reducing air intake velocity or volume.. you get low end torque back. some of it.

there's a damn reasoning behind this that I read but I cant recall it. anyways i barely understood it when i read it anyway.

but yeah its generally true that way. when you open up the intake airflow.. you move the powerband up and gain more in the high end but lose in the low end. its a trade off.

and for the most of us here we think the K&N FIPK doesnt lose much or any low end at all! I dont really feel much difference between the FIPK and the stock's low end.. but maybe thats just me. You should see other aftermarket intake, they're much much worse.

Anyways all I can say is, go for it. and see if your butt dyno can tell the difference. I think it'll help, but then you'll lose that tiny 2-4 hp you gained in the high end.

I duno, maybe I should swap my stock back in and see if I can feel any difference. Its been awhile afterall. my stock filter is a bit dirty though. hmm. maybe I'll go back to stock, get a K&N drop in filter(or some other higher airflow one).. and sell the FIPK. hmm.

btw design such as that is pretty popular.. ie: comptech's icebox and mugen's box for the RSX. at least I think it was mugen. I forgot. or was it spoon? eh. heh.
Old 04-11-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
My driving style is pretty much 3500rpm and below most of the time (thanks to gas prices) but there is the occasional trip to the 5-6000 rpm region (to clear carbon, so I tell the wife).
If you rarely rev your engine to the higher rpm range, I would say put the stock airbox back on. It will have the best performance under those conditions. The modifications you are talking about sound to me like you are turning the the k&n into a stock style set up, when you could just put the stock one back on. With most performance parts there is a sacrafice of the low end for high end gains. You just have to decide if its worth the sacrafice.
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
you lose low end torque with any aftermarket intake. You gain more power at the 4k+ rpm range. If you stay mostly in the 3krpm range, you might as well just swap your stock back in. The stock intake will give you the most power then any aftermarket intake at the 3k rpm range.

If you do mostly city driving, i suggest if you put your stock back it. You won't notice the gains on the intake till you go on the highway.
Old 04-11-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Put the stock intake back on. It was engineered for better performance at all rpms. Having tried 3 intakes, stock is the best. The K&N gives better throttle response from a stop, but it's noisy and doesn't have the same pickup as the stock intake.
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

Hysteria4u is an unknown quantity at this point
I have already put the stock intake back just to note the difference it makes in the low revs. Also took the FIPK out to make measurements.

I might just try this - build an aluminium heat-proof air box but with a larger inlet and duct this to a cold air region- I hope to just find the right compromise.

The alternative idea is to have a large volume (aka build in a larger diameter pipe) along the FIPK tube - as you know the FIPK plastic pipe is contant in diameter throughout. This would involve cutting the tube and that would also mean I wouldn't be able to sell it if my air box project goes

Oh well, my aluminium box is half done anyway - I will complete it and post results. Good time to experiment with different diameter inlet tubes to the alu airbox. Cheers....
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

czechcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
or you could sell the fipk(easy on here) and by an Iceman no low end loss.You actually gain low end and top end
Old 04-12-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
dyno to prove it?
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

czechcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
dyno to prove it?
LOL...^^^^ to cheap to go dyno for no reason....Maybe if they have a dyno day again in socal Ill go......Until then either believe or dont.....