Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

aem v2 or aem cold air

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
d17sohc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question aem v2 or aem cold air

i just wanted to know which makes the most horsepower for a d17 a aem v2 or a aem cold air. hydrolocking is not a problem mostly dry weather

really need to find out
Old 03-19-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
any cai > aem v2

injen cai > aem cai
Old 03-19-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Dyno's of it on D17 to prove this?
Old 03-19-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
common sense. cold air > hot air.

there aren't enough d17 dyno's in the first place. check out clubrsx.com (not the forum, but the front page), goto performance and the cai's will outperform the v2 sri's in every test
Old 03-19-2005

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
LMAO, my poaint was your not going to be gainign anything noticeable anyways so it dosen't matter what he buys.
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

but does the different pipe sizes on the v2 make up for the hot air i heard this from some people
Old 03-19-2005

I'm not quite sure how it functions, but what I am quite sure of is that with boltons you are not going to feel any difference in your car.
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

so SMUGGLER should i go with cold air to get a few more extra horses
Old 03-19-2005

You won't get a few extra horses, maybe 1 max... if you don't plan on swap or turbo, get whatever you want, if your planning on upgrading one day to something to make more power, don't waste your money
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

so i should keep the v2 on my car instead of buying a cold air i can get the aem for $50 from a friend
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

Smizay is an unknown quantity at this point
DUDE V2 has the best performance and best sound. get it
Old 03-19-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
I have v2 intake/dc headers/greddy exhaust/megan resonator and when I went to test my exhaust, I took out the megan resonator and dc header just to be safe. I passed with average of 90db max is 95-100? I drove for a day or so and felt so much loss in hp. If you put it all at once you will notice the difference instantly.

OH yeah and the v2 intake works good. Never need to worry about anything. Just make sure you buy biggere clamps for the breather hose and your set. In desert temperatures of course any intake will get hot-air. I do feel a better kick when its chilly outside. California has been raining the past few days so watch out or keep your stock intake.

Last edited by Civic_RedLine; 03-19-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2005
im stock now! T.T

Originally Posted by d17sohc
so i should keep the v2 on my car instead of buying a cold air i can get the aem for $50 from a friend
Keep your v2.
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

klamslam is an unknown quantity at this point
so then a short ram AEM is gonna do essentially the same thing for me as a CAI AIM, unless I go with other mods as well? I would like to eventually install a good header and name brand exhaust (when I can afford it). Should I go with the Ram or cold air. I know the filter is critical and I was hoping to install K&M. The problem is, it does rain occasionally here and when it does it ****ing pours? Even If I could get 10 hp (is this unreasonable) out of a good intake I would be happy as hell
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

SkyGuy86 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd say dont buy either save up for turbo. I have a V2 and it sounds cool and gives it a bit more pull, not noticeable any more after a few months though.
Old 03-19-2005
Superior Evolutionary Element Destined-factor

Xenin is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SkyGuy86
I'd say dont buy either save up for turbo. I have a V2 and it sounds cool and gives it a bit more pull, not noticeable any more after a few months though.
thats cuz you've gotten used to it. go back to stock and you'll feel the difference.
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

how about this short ram or cold air
Old 03-20-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
save for turbo well putt
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

i'm trying to go all motor waiting for more stuff to come out for the d17
Old 03-20-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

man, short ram intakes suck, which makes the v2 suck. the bigger pipe size is not gonna make up for the difference when one intake is sucking in 120 degree air and the other is sucking in 65 degree air.

no, an intake isn't gonna give you a load of power, but one member on here got his car dyno'ed with the stock intake and the aem sri and lost power. just because it sounds cool, doesn't mean it's working better.

smizay: aem v2 does not have the best performance, for you have no proof to back up your statement.
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
man, short ram intakes suck, which makes the v2 suck. the bigger pipe size is not gonna make up for the difference when one intake is sucking in 120 degree air and the other is sucking in 65 degree air.

no, an intake isn't gonna give you a load of power, but one member on here got his car dyno'ed with the stock intake and the aem sri and lost power. just because it sounds cool, doesn't mean it's working better.

smizay: aem v2 does not have the best performance, for you have no proof to back up your statement.
thanks for the heads up i will buy the cold air
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

NaSh123 is an unknown quantity at this point
i'd stick with the V2...also depends on what model your d17 is...lx ex dx? I've seen dyno's from an LX with V2 making some reasonable power...otherwise just get whatever you think looks nicer in your engine bay, either way V2 or cold air your NOT making much difference 1-2 if that. I like how the V2 sounds so I got the V2 and I never have to worry bout hydrolocking or anything. I've heard V2 does better on dynos than the cold air but thats what I've seen, no dyno's to back that up.
Old 03-20-2005
im stock now! T.T

Originally Posted by klamslam
so then a short ram AEM is gonna do essentially the same thing for me as a CAI AIM, unless I go with other mods as well? I would like to eventually install a good header and name brand exhaust (when I can afford it). Should I go with the Ram or cold air. I know the filter is critical and I was hoping to install K&M. The problem is, it does rain occasionally here and when it does it ****ing pours? Even If I could get 10 hp (is this unreasonable) out of a good intake I would be happy as hell
if it pours alot there get the v2. I gaurantee you that you will feel no different gains if you use the injen cold-air or aem v2. If your getting regular short ram just get the v2. You dont need to worry about anything. I have a friend that ruined his engine using cold-air and sucking up water. But at night time when its not desert temperatures, I do feel my intake kicking in alot better but if its desert hot or like 100 degrees any intake will get hot air.
Old 03-20-2005
im stock now! T.T

Originally Posted by Xenin
thats cuz you've gotten used to it. go back to stock and you'll feel the difference.
yeah you will definately feel the difference. I took of two bolt-ons for my exhaust testing and damn my car is so slow now. I had to immediately put the bolt-ons back on because it felt way slower.
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

i read a article about the v2 and it said that aem test there intakes with the hood open and a fan blowing on the motor what would happen if the hood was closed with stainless steel headers it would be sucking all that hot air like i think mine is doing wouldn't cold air be better in that case

Last edited by d17sohc; 03-22-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2005
Registered!!

any more comments
Old 03-22-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

nash: there are hardly any gains with the v2. you trust the manufacturer's dyno?

when you first start your engine, you will feel a gain with the v2 and a little bit there after. however, after about 15 min of stop and go driving, engine bay temperatures will be 120 degrees or greater, while the outside temps are 70. goto clubrsx and get educated with heat soak ... I am never going to use a short ram, unless it's the rainy season.

d17sohc: you have the right idea.

true with 100+ degree outside temps, any intake is going to be hot, but cold air intakes will still pull colder air than sitting in a 140 degree engine bay.

we also have the idea of 160 degree coolant running through our throttle bodies to make things worse for both intakes ... but I don't wanna go too off topic
Old 03-22-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
iceman Intake!!
Old 03-22-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
any cai > aem v2

injen cai > aem cai
this might be true at clubrsx but they have entirely different engines. a lot of people have stated that even CAI don't do much for the d17. i personally like the iceman since it's made out af a hard plastic like material. i've also had the fipk which people claim they've had the most gain from and the iceman IMO was better.
Old 03-22-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by kornsined
this might be true at clubrsx but they have entirely different engines. a lot of people have stated that even CAI don't do much for the d17. i personally like the iceman since it's made out af a hard plastic like material. i've also had the fipk which people claim they've had the most gain from and the iceman IMO was better.
an engine is an engine. if you take colder air, it's gonna give more power than warm air.

true, a cold air doesn't do much for our engines, but an sri does even less, and has also been noted to perform worse than stock at times.

Quick Reply: aem v2 or aem cold air