Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

NEW APC Header w/catalytic convertor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ayzan is an unknown quantity at this point
APC Header w/catalytic convertor replacement

Okay, APC has made a header for the 2001 Civic. I personally don't think APC is good, they are more of a cosmetics manufacturer than a performance developer. Anyway, what caught my attention is that the header is a full length header with a downpipe that replaces the catalytic convertor. So for those who wanted a full exhaust, this would be an option. You will definitely see an increase of power once the catalytic convertor has been removed. Of course this application would be considered NOT smog legal and NOT for use on public streets.

APC HEADER AT MODACAR
Old 01-01-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn Dude! Tha is awsome, it will actually bypass the cat. Hmmmm??? I think there does my nxt mod [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Thx for a post dude. Let us know when you instal it, and if u got any gains [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-02-2002
Registered!!

Maximus is an unknown quantity at this point
An APC header eh?..........interesting. If anyone buys this, be sure and fill us in on how it performs.
Old 01-02-2002
Registered!!

OPGForce is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool. Wonder how this one compares to the DC and HP MotorSports one.
Old 01-02-2002
Registered!!

XenonCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldnt go with them they make indigio gauges and mirriors. Go with DC.
Old 01-02-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Metal is metal. As long as it's the same kind of stainless as other manufactures use to make their headers, then I'de buy it for the track. Thickness counts as well. Thinner means it will break down sooner. Quality of welding matters too. Hum... Now that I think about it maybe one would need to check that thing out up close before buying?
Old 01-02-2002
Registered!!

You can already tell by the photos that the welds are sloppy. Compare the welds to the DC and you can see why DC has a better quality header. Like I said, APC is not an expert in performance. I do like the idea that it replaces the cat. You can easily shave off 3/10ths of a second in the 1/4 mile without the cat.
Old 01-02-2002
Registered!!

RallyEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, many times here it has been discussed that the removal of the cat will give you more horsepower. Others will say that without the backpressure the cat produces, you will lose HP. I looked closely at the picture, and it doesn't look THAT bad. You'd be surprised at how thin the DC is too, or the HP Racing for that matter. Also, about the sloppy welds. So long as they don't leak, and are think enough to never leak for the life of the header (What is the average life of a header, anyways?), I really could care less so long as they hold the exhaust IN.

By the way, DC Grinds down their welds before they polish them or dip them in the ceramic compound so they look pretty... These welds may be just as good, but no as well ground down to look pretty.

What I want to know is, what did APC do about that O2 sensor that was in the cat? Where did they put it? If the Civic is sans (latin for without, geniuses [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] ) the cat, will that fock up the O2 sensor? I'd almost be tempted to purchase it just to see the quality, most companies will let you return without problems.

By the way, did anyone else scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the $1,500 headers for the S2000?[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-02-2002
Registered!!

I can already assure you that you will gain power. Our engines pull at high RPMs which is when the exhaust flows the most. I've gutted my catalytic convertor on my CRX and went from a 15.9 to a 15.4. Many of my buddies gutted their civics and integras which shaved anywhere between 3/10th's to half a second off their 1/4 mile times.
I agree with RallyEX about the welds. As long as they hold, it will do well. If you look at the photo, the weld is very thick compared to other headers. It may not be as clean looking as the DC, but performance wise, it will be better since it replaces the catalytic convertor.
I'm about half an hour drive away from Modacar... I will see if they have one in stock and take a look at it. I'm sure the header has holes for the sensors. My question is will the ECU pick up the increase in carbon monoxide since the catalytic convertor will no longer be functional? If so, then the engine check light will stay on constantly.
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

RallyEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, that was one question I was going to ask. Does it have holes for the o2 sensors, or will we have to make them.

As for the change in Carbon Monoxide, it probably WILL produce a Check engine light. HOWEVER, if you disconnect the computer and let it reset itself, it is supposed to 'LEARN' the changes so that should something change without you resetting the computer it will produce the light.

Supposedly, newer ECU's and OBD II Systems 'learn' the changes if you reset them. I seriously doubt some of those settings are all set at the factory prior to install. They start the car and OBD learns the airflow, so that if it changes without a reset, it knows something is wrong. Essentially, if we disconnect the battery while we change it out, then reconnect and start up. If no lights, all is well! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

PerfectD3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Somebody needs to find out about this quick cuz im seriously interested! Im gonna email APC, let you know the results!
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

eXNBP is an unknown quantity at this point
The sensors might be placed on the back fo the header maybe[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]Can you get pics of it from behind that might be where it is[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Thnx for the update BTW[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

eXNBP is an unknown quantity at this point

<< By the way, did anyone else scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the $1,500 headers for the S2000?[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] >>

Spoon is one of the big JDM companies that has boomed this year because of the SW388 rims they have that are so light u can pick up with 1 finger