Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Fart Can comparison : RS*R Exmag vs. Tanabe Hyper Spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Fart Can comparison : RS*R Exmag vs. Tanabe Hyper Spec

These are probably the 2 most highly touted mid-high end (~$500) street-type exhaust systems on the market. I've had the fortunate chance to have used them both now, so I figured I'd write a small essay on the goods and bads of both. At some point, I'll add pictures to this, but right now, deal with the words. I'll break it up some, hopefully this will help some of you pick which one you may find more appealing.
Be advised, I had the RS*R for 15 months, the Tanabe has been on the car for 3 days, so I may be adding more findings as I go.

Construction
The RS*R is made from 409 Stainless with an applied ceramic coating. Piping is 60mm, no resonators, baffled oval muffler, 4" slant cut tip w/ rolled edge.
The Tanabe Hyper is 304 Stainless, 60mm piping, glass pack type resonators and a straight through oval muffler, 4" tip, straight edge.
Both have their name on the tip.

Installation
The RS*R is 2 pieces, a long mid-pipe with a rear section that goes over the axle before bolting together. New Hardware is supplied and stock hangars are re-used.
The Tanabe is 3 pieces, a short mid-pipe, an over axle pipe and a rear section. New hardware is included. Installation for both took a similar amount of time. Time is dependent on how long it takes to remove the old system as the new one can be bolted in in 20 minutes.

Fit and finish.
The fit of both was relatively similar. Both sit quite high in the exhaust tunnel under the car and pass over the rear LCA. The RS*R appears to pass over it a little higher than the Tanabe, but I can't be truely sure. The RS*R muffler hangs higher than Tanabe's. Part is due to the shape of the canister, RS*Rs is short and tall, Tanabe's is Long and slim, and the outlet path of the RSR allows it to sit a little higher. I don't forsee ground clearance issues with either. The Tanabe Tip, while the same diameter, looks larger because it's straight and the 4" section of it is longer. This is a personal taste issue, I believe the RS*R looks better. I plan on painting the Tanabe canister flat black, then I'll re-evaluate the appearance of it. Both sit fairly well in the bumper opening, the RS*R a little higher. I'm going to try and raise the Tanabe up a little, the hangers seem stretched a little, hopefully some new ones will pull it up to where it seems it should go.

Sound
I was a little surprised at this one. Its all personal taste, but here's my view. The Tanabe, hands down, sounds better than the RS*R. It is a little louder, but niether system ever reaches the point of intrusive. At 75 MPH for 3 hours, I wasn't bothered at all by it. You can hear it, but you just hear a smooth low pitched hum. The RS*R at higher RPMs tended to get a little.... I don't know what the word is... ill sounding. Not too bad, but it went from a nice hum type sound to something a little more grindy. Tanabe stays pretty smooth and melodic all the way up.

Power
Face it, with a D17 on the other end, don't expect miracles. The only thing I managed to notice between the 2 is that the RS*R had a tendency to die off a little at about 6000 RPMs, The Hyper Spec seems to hold on and keep the car pulling a little above that. Midrange seems about the same. I wouldn't expect more than a 1 HP difference between them on any dyno plot.

So basically, my final evaluation is that its a buyers choice. They both cost about the same, and perform about the same, its really up to the guy with the money. Pay for which ever one you feel you'll like more. I've got RS*R pictures and sounds posted somewhere, give me a little time and let the snow clear, I'll have Tanabe Hyper ones too. Either way, I don't think you can lose.

Just a quick note on the durability of the RS*R. The system may be stainless, but the hardware sure isnt, and I'm not convinced the flanges are either. It was incredibly difficult to crack the bolts loose again, and all the flanges were covered with a pretty good layer of rust, as were the welds. Most of the ceramic coating had flaked off as well. The piping and the canister itself (aside from the crash damage that did it in) held up just fine.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 01-16-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stroked_monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
good stuff
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

packer5346 is an unknown quantity at this point
i've got the rs*r exmag and i love it. nice write-up boilermaker.
Old 01-16-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
thats definetly a review i was waiting for. I am sold on the Tanabe hyper medallion
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

EM2jdm is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i have to agree with boilermaker1, ive had my THM for over a year now the and its still has the same tone, same efficency like it did when i first bolted it on, my older bro has the rs*r emag and IMO i prefer the overall aspects of the THM, but the fitment of the THM is one thing i dislike it rattles and hits the body alot.
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
you crashed? wha happened?
Old 01-17-2005
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
where can u get the HRM for cheap?

it sounds really tempting...i dun like the SRM very much...its droops too low, and sounds quite loud.

boiler...post some pics of the HRM on your car...i wanna seee wut it looks like

thanks
Old 01-22-2005
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Good review. +1 rep.
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

kopking10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fart Can comparison : RS*R Exmag vs. Tanabe Hyper Spec

is this review for the rsr exmag or the rsr exmag GT2 as well? I'm kinda in between of the GT2 and tanabe super medallion.
Old 05-20-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i dont think the gt2 was available at that time (3 yrs ago)
Old 05-20-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

good review. do you have pixs of both on the car for comparasion?
Old 05-20-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

sweet 3 year old thread!

atleast you used the search button
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

kopking10 is an unknown quantity at this point

i tried not to...;p

anyways, what about the construction of the GT2? comparing to TSRM?

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
sweet 3 year old thread!

atleast you used the search button
Old 05-21-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

i have apex-i catback with a megan race cat