Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Review: K&n Fipk Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
Gearbox how do you like that optima battery? I was thinking of getting one. The one I was looking at looks different than yours. Thanks for the pic.
Old 05-27-2004
Historic Member

CdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of light
Cool upgrade. I have the K&N Typhoon SRI, wish I got the FIPK, but there are some similarities. I haven't noticed low-end power loss, and mid range does feel a little more responsive. But your right about the sound. It's not as loud as I thought it might be, and it's nice and quiet at cruising speed.
Old 05-27-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Optima is a group 51 yellow top. It's a good starting battery, and even better because now I can have the stereo on when I'm working on the car. It's different because I took off the original sticker (peeling anyway) and put on a new one that it came with. I think it looks cleaner.
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

yawba is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CdnSilverStreak
Cool upgrade. I have the K&N Typhoon SRI, wish I got the FIPK, but there are some similarities. I haven't noticed low-end power loss, and mid range does feel a little more responsive. But your right about the sound. It's not as loud as I thought it might be, and it's nice and quiet at cruising speed.
Kababayan(also filipino) I'm in the market for an intake and considering of getting an Iceman, I not familiar w/ K&N FIPK, btw whats the meaning of FIPK.
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by pr4life36
So what did u do, u took the stock filter out, closed the box, and put a K&N filter at the tip? cuz i dont wanna waiste my money.
man, I got a fipk II , installed it , drove it for a week, and sold it, it is really
no gain man, just good sound in the engine bay, and looks cool.
As for K&N filter, you just get one that fits right in your stock airbox just like the cheap stock air filter, but k&n will give more airflow and maybe a few more miles per gallon for your vic. It is not the cone k&n filter. It fits right in your stock airbox. Best thing to do for the $ for your intake. $200+ for 4.6 hp @ 6000 rpms is not worth it to me.
Old 05-27-2004
Historic Member

CdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of lightCdnSilverStreak is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by yawba
Kababayan(also filipino) I'm in the market for an intake and considering of getting an Iceman, I not familiar w/ K&N FIPK, btw whats the meaning of FIPK.
Kumusta! As gearbox mentioned, the FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kits) is probably the best intake out there. I have the Typhoon Intake, somewhat similar... a little lower priced... consider the K&N though...
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

Ershall is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by StealthCivic
Best thing to do for the $ for your intake. $200+ for 4.6 hp @ 6000 rpms is not worth it to me.
How do you know that the intake doesn't yield quite a bit more HP when combined with a catless header and perf exhaust?
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Ershall
How do you know that the intake doesn't yield quite a bit more HP when combined with a catless header and perf exhaust?
Dude, I don't know that since I have a stock header and stock exaust.
However, I know from dyno's that you might gain 5-10hp from all the mods you mentioned, that is it. $ 1000.00 for 5-10 hp ........forget it man!

Last edited by StealthCivic; 05-28-2004 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Gearbox, your engine bay looks like mine except I have a header and yours is MUCH cleaner

Actually, mine doesn't look THAT dirty here, but it's not as clean as yours. Also, my camera resolution isn't that good in this pic:

Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

Review on Iceman intake
Old 05-29-2004
Registered!!

trance4mer is an unknown quantity at this point
hey u guys, i got my $23 CAI intake today. i just finished installin it too. took me 2 hrs to instal. i used this site for help.....http://www.madstatic.com/2k1civic/diy/aemcai/index.mv ......yeah. the site shows u how to instal the aem one. the intake i got is EXACTLY like the aem. but its from ebay. it looks, instals excatly like its in the pics. and its from ebay. ha!!! it came with everythin for the instalation. except it was missin one of those rings used to hold together those rubber black things connectin the tubes. but thats ok. i had a spare.. and the black rubber things r blue. thats ok. ok well after instalation i reset it. and then i took it for a drive. no big change. it sounds a lil different at high rpm. i like it. not too noisey but u can still here it. no big power change like all intakes. u can feel the engine strain less to get up to speed so i guess that ok. and u dont really feel it till u get in the high rpms. i dont have pix yet, but ill get them up asoon as i can. but thats pretty much it for now. ill take it to the highway tomorrow and see how well it does at high speeds... oh and yeah its pretty good. $23 not bad over $180. just no plate or stickers ...just a red tube.....mikey
(ok i posted this same message on another thread cuz...yeah.... but anyways, here r sum other thoughts. im satisfied with this intake. $23 bucks cant be beat. well spent id say. i havnt had an AEM intake before, all i had was stock. its better than stock, but i dunno about AEM, my friend has a short ram on his 00 civic. and it less noisey than his. i like the lound tho. but it feels just about the same. its pretty good overall. $23 bucks.... if u guys want the link for the ebay page its on let me know and ill post it. maybe u guys r interested...)
Old 05-29-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
For what you paid, that's not bad. One thing I noticed with the fipk is better low-end response. I thought it would get worse, but it didn't. Also my starting problem went away. But I think the stock intake I had was messed up.

I'll let you guys know how the fipk does on my 2-3hr trip to Chicago today.
Old 05-30-2004
Registered!!

trance4mer is an unknown quantity at this point
another thing i forgot to mention.... u will need to replace the filter. the aem filter has like a longer rubber thing that adapts to the tube. the filter provided from the ebay is just a regular one and might be a lil hard to fit. but thats about it. i dunno maybe its all in my head but i do feel more pull at higher rpms. i like it alot. 23 dollars not bad. question.... is an intake suppose to make a hissing noise or sumthin like that??
Old 05-31-2004
Premium Member

Well guess what guys. The intake noise started bothering me so I put back the stock intake. I felt huge power losses across the rpm band. Even response from a stop got worse. So needless to say the fipk is back on. I won't be going back to stock ever again.
Old 06-04-2004
Registered!!

civicgeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey bro, yea, I did reset my ecu and still felt little gain, just noise. I was cool looking and great engine bay noise, but little gain. I know the gain comes at
4,000 + rpms...so, I sold it to civicgeek.
I might check out the volant.....
Hi there,

Just installed the FIPK2 in my Civic... It sounds great! And it pulls better as compared to my AEM CAI which I sold off already...
Old 06-04-2004
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
I know the fipk II is the best for our cars. I had the Fipk II, installed it , drove it for a week. Noticed increase in noise (very good sound). I got on it a lot. I thought there might be better throttle response??? I was gettin on it all the time, wasting gas! So, I really believed it just gave me good noise from the engine bay. I stay about 3,000 rpms..I don't go up passed 5000 ever. So, I sold my Fipk II to another member on here.
He hasn't installed it yet. My conclusion is it sounds and looks cool, but little or no gain. No loss low end. I am back to stock with my K&N drop in air filter. Hope this helps.
what the? you bought a 'performance' intake and you never went above 5,000 RPM where our car makes most of its power?? the hp gains, if any, is in the high end. you step on it but you dont let your engine go pass 5,000 rpm.. its not like its going to hurt your engine or anything... you concluded something but didn't really push your car... although just driving above 5,000 rpm doesn't count as pushing the car when you're driving a civic that has no power what so ever in the low end. (or in the high end at all.. but at least more)
Old 06-04-2004
Premium Member

With my setup, the car pulls alot better in the low to mid rpms, but even better up high. The fipk is a good intake, but by itself you may not get much of a difference.
Old 06-04-2004
Registered!!

nickm748 is an unknown quantity at this point
How does the FIPk compare to the V2?
Old 06-04-2004
Registered!!

I think the FIPK2 effect was felt the most, when I dropped the gear from 5th to 3rd when overtaking....

Cool!
Old 06-05-2004
Registered!!

My next project for my car "02 coupe M/T" is the intake, but concerned of the check engine light turning on. Is it easy to reset? Does anybody know if this always happen? I'm considering the K&N FIPK, does anyone encountered any problem with this intake?
Old 06-05-2004
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Originally Posted by yawba
My next project for my car "02 coupe M/T" is the intake, but concerned of the check engine light turning on. Is it easy to reset? Does anybody know if this always happen? I'm considering the K&N FIPK, does anyone encountered any problem with this intake?
You will not get CEL light after Aftermarket intake install.
Just make sure you put back on O2 sensor in the place.
Old 06-05-2004
Premium Member

Heh, yeah we forgot and the light came on. You can always disconnect the battery and plug it in. Then it will go off. Best intake, imo, except maybe for the volant. But that one still isn't out yet.
Old 06-05-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
What is a "perf" exhaust? Perfect?
Old 06-05-2004
Registered!!

HoldDaMayo is an unknown quantity at this point
Performance
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

Hey Danny!

Originally Posted by civicgeek
Hi there,

Just installed the FIPK2 in my Civic... It sounds great! And it pulls better as compared to my AEM CAI which I sold off already...
What's up Danny, Glad you like it man! It made it all the way to Singapore. Now, I am started to want a Fipk II again!!!! oh-no!
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

Lightbulb This might be the case

Originally Posted by gearbox
With my setup, the car pulls alot better in the low to mid rpms, but even better up high. The fipk is a good intake, but by itself you may not get much of a difference.
Gear,
This may explain my situation, I had the fipk II, didn't notice much gains, but I am stock throughout......no other engine mods...
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

What's up with the Volant, more gains for our civics than K&N fipk II , or unknown at
this time???
Old 06-10-2004
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
FIPK II Rocks

I installed the K&N intake about two weeks ago. I love the sound. I also tweaked with the throttle cable and you can feel the difference. Look under the DIY section under engine for the throttle cable mod. I can't wait until I get a kamikaze header and DC exhaust. BTW I had bought a AEM SRI before I read this thread and I never installed it. I was lucky to sell it to another 7th gen owner at a mall parking for $125. I then took that cash and got the FIPK the same day.
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

What's up Danny, Glad you like it man! It made it all the way to Singapore. Now, I am started to want a Fipk II again!!!! oh-no!
Hi Thomas,

I want to change the K&N Filter and put a APEXI Power intake. I am wondering how the setup will be like...
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Ellocodetroit
I installed the K&N intake about two weeks ago. I love the sound. I also tweaked with the throttle cable and you can feel the difference. Look under the DIY section under engine for the throttle cable mod. I can't wait until I get a kamikaze header and DC exhaust. BTW I had bought a AEM SRI before I read this thread and I never installed it. I was lucky to sell it to another 7th gen owner at a mall parking for $125. I then took that cash and got the FIPK the same day.
Hi there,

Can you let me know what size of wrench did you use for the throttle cable?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Review: K&n Fipk Intake