Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

rear main seal

Old 01-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91LXdriver is an unknown quantity at this point
rear main seal

I think my rear main seal is leaking, 91 civic sedan with d15B2 with auto trans, Does anyone know where I can find a video of the repair for this?
Old 01-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: rear main seal

Perchance, was the oil pan gasket replaced recently?
Old 01-22-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

You will need to remove the transmission to replace the rear main.
Old 10-24-2017
Registered!!

marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point

BIG job for such little reward LOL!

Might as well do a new Clutch kit and Lightweight Fly Wheel!

. . .. . . . . . .
Never mind, I guess your Automagic That sucks!
Old 12-10-2017
Registered!!

Seamus O is an unknown quantity at this point

I put three tablespoons of brake fluid in my oil two days before my oil change, the seal swelled and stopped leaking for several months, still holding.
Old 12-17-2017
Registered!!

91LXdriver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Perchance, was the oil pan gasket replaced recently?
yes i replaced the oil pan gasket it was leaking all around it. but I still have a leak that seems to be coming from between the trans and motor?
Old 12-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

11 months later? Wow.

Examine the pan gasket you removed (if possible).... Some of those gaskets had embedded metal washers that would stick on the studs and if you didn't notice and remove the washers.....then bolting the pan and new gasket still leaves a huge gap because the old stuck washer is in the way.

I found this out the hard way.....actually pulled a transmission out just to find it was not really the fault of the rear main seal at all.

If your leak really is the rear main seal, there is no shortcut: You will have to remove the transmission or the engine to replace the seal.

Search this Thread