Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction methods (Turbos & Nitrous Oxide) and swaps here

sohc to sohc vtech

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skaraider is an unknown quantity at this point
sohc to sohc vtech

Ok so im not for sure but im thinking that my 1.5l SOHC non vtech, if I switch out the HEADS, ECU and wiring Harness for a motor that has VTECH on the SOHC.. everything should work then right?? i have a 95 civic 1.5l 5spd
and would the vtech head bolt up to the non vtech block.. ?
Old 01-06-2011
B18C1

Deleon2c is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: sohc to sohc vtech

Yes You Can Bolt a VTEC head to a Non-Vtec Block, Depending on what Head your using you might have to remove the Screw at the rear of the deck, or remove the Oil control jet/passage to Bolt the head On.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

Re: sohc to sohc vtech

worth the trouble>
Old 01-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Definitely, it makes a big difference in performance and adds VTEC.

On a 95 Civic you can swap in a B series motor for $1000-1500 though, so thats what I would do.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

but i already have the turbo kit i ordered for the D series..... i guess if I bought a differnet manifold it wouldn't make the difference
Old 01-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Please tell me it's not an ebay kit. If you have the turbo then do a head swap and build the D series motor, but your permanently at a huge disadvantage to a DOHC dseries motor.

Last edited by MindBomber; 01-12-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2011
Registered!!

yeah its the Ebay kit BUT it comes with everything the only reason y i got it is it becomes with all the pipes, turbo timer, decent BOV, intercooler, and a downpipe plus the headers.. soif i do have to replace the turbo it will be to a better brand.. I bought the kit because of the all hardware it comes with.. Um but I have another question, The turbo has a big hole on top that is square and one on the bottom that is smaller and circular. The big one that is square it the turbo oil return line correct and smaller one is oil feed line? i need to know because im installing it tommorow
Old 01-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

It doesn't matter if it came with all that hardware, every single component, aside from maybe the piping, is complete junk. A turbo set-up, like anything else, will only perform as well as it's weakest link. Do you have an EMS yet?
Old 01-15-2011
B18C1

Originally Posted by MindBomber
It doesn't matter if it came with all that hardware, every single component, aside from maybe the piping, is complete junk. A turbo set-up, like anything else, will only perform as well as it's weakest link. Do you have an EMS yet?
^----^ Gotta Agree With MindBomber Here, U Get what U pay for On Ebay, and Car parts are not the Best thing 2 shoot for on their Site Bro
Old 01-15-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i want to see one installed. everyone says oh it's ebay and it's cheep, most be bad. i think most say that to justify why they spent 3k. all that stuff comes from china anyway, so how does anyone know if the no name ones are crap?

seriously, everyone who says they suck has a greddy turbo kit and has never seen one in action.

the few people ive seen post that do have ebay turbos say they work fine.

does anyone on the site have one that has worked for a long time or has seen one in person fail? not talking about friend of a friend here.
Old 01-15-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

^Well, a big part of the problem is the damage done to the motors internally as a result of the sketchy parts and inconsistent controls. I don't know of anyone in Vancouver running an ebay turbo and I know a lot tuners, but I've seen actual write-ups going into detail on why they are complete junk.
Old 01-16-2011

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hooksman
i put a ebay kit in my 240sx. an it was uber fast....then i turned off my ps3. ebay kits are for geeks that paint the inside of there car a neon orange color an think putting a fail *** spoiler on there car it will go faster. just my opinion.
i asked for people who have seen them fail or work, not more i think it is crap.
Old 01-16-2011

i have seen more than 5 cars go down the drain to ebay kits.. but i have seen even more go down the drain to TERRIBLE DRIVERS...just sayin.
thank you!

k so that's 5 to 0 for ebay failing, anyone use one for over a year?
Old 01-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

i put a ebay kit in my 240sx. an it was uber fast....then i turned off my ps3. ebay kits are for geeks that paint the inside of there car a neon orange color an think putting a fail *** spoiler on there car it will go faster. just my opinion.
I swear, my mouse was starting to drift towards the ban button mid way through the first sentence.

Then I read the rest of your post and lol'd
Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

ok the "EBAY kit" i bought is from CRX racing, just cause its on ebay doesn't mean its horrible... and im not just gonna slap it on and roll with it.. as soon as i get it together its headed to the shop to get tuned on a dyno and the ecu is gonna be remapped I just put the D16vtech head on it, so the shop is also making my ecu run the vtech once it goes there.. Alos got a walbro fuel pump 225 and 440cc injectors with a fuel managment unit that replaces the old pressure regulator.... ebay isjust a site to let people sell their products globally... it came from a company in california, i didn't spend 200 on the kit because YES i know what you pay is what you get, i do know that becuase ive been buying things off of ebay since ebay has pretty much been up and running.

Here is what I need help with does ANYONE know they timing procedures for the d15 block and d16 head? how does everything have to line up... also posting on another topic so maybe it will get awnser
Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

well I figured it out, the car started after the 2nd crank.. ill post a video when I get it up on youtube
Old 01-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Well, you can buy anything on Ebay.

A Greddy kit being sold on Ebay isn't an ebay kit, the generic ones that promise 485hp for every car imaginable and has a bunch of no name parts is an "ebay kit". I could buy a Spoon K20a off an ebay auction and it would be an ebay K20a lol
Old 01-16-2011
B18C1

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I swear, my mouse was starting to drift towards the ban button mid way through the first sentence.

Then I read the rest of your post and lol'd
^--^ Hahaha! Tickets! Get your Tickets!
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

well alright, everything is installed and it started just fine.. now im back here to ask a few more questions.. Does anyone know how to splice the wires for my injectors to go to my new resistor box and... also how to hook up the boost controler to the wastegate, BOV and gauge?
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

Had to make alot of cuts to those pipes
Old 01-18-2011

have you tested her out with all the turbo stuff in yet?
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

well... the downpipe was 2inchs past the cat... so i stripped the exhaust off until i shave the piping down on the exhaust to match the downpipe difference, Im breaking the head gasket it now so im not running boost, but as soon as next weekend comes its getting sent to the shop to get tuned maybe earlier, as soon as i get the exhaust on ill push maybe 2-4 lbs of boost through it before it gets tuned.. just get get the boost going on the motor itself, i don't wanna blow it the first week after i put it together I have time and I can wait lol... so just stay tuned for the updates
Old 01-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

just a quick suggestion for the viewers:
in between the pictures, just hit "enter" key, and the pictures will be one after the other, not one aside the other - right now, due to the layout of the pictures, we need to scroll the screen to the sides...
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

gotcha