Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction methods (Turbos & Nitrous Oxide) and swaps here

D16Y8 swap, please help, new to this :/

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91olds98 is an unknown quantity at this point
D16Y8 swap, please help, new to this :/

I've been reading through the forums here and it seems like one of the easier swaps for my car (1995 civic DX coupe with D15B7 non-vtec) is the D16Y8. My car also has manual steering and trans. I do have some questions though.

1.) how do I tell if I have obd1 or 2?
2.) will I need different motor mounts and where do I get them?
3.) will I need a different ECM?
4.) will I need to do anything to the transmission, such as a beefier clutch or something?
5.) is the D16Y8 really the easiest swap? Or is there a better one?

All I'm trying to do here is put a vtec engine in this car. I had a 97 accord with vtec and a 5spd and it was just so much fun to drive. The stock d15 in my civic is peppy, but it just doesn't feel like a proper honda without vtec. I guess I jus want what anyone else with a car like mine wants to know; which engine is the cheapest, easiest to install (and eventually upgrade) and easiest to find for my car? Whatever I get, I'm going to do it right, I'll rebuild the engine from the bottom up and make it a nice, fun little car. I don't need some raging hot rod, I just don't want to get my *** kicked by a Prius at red lights anymore.
My main concern is the transmission and clutch (both of which have been recently replaced. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!
Old 02-21-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fgb000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: D16Y8 swap, please help, new to this :/

Hi there ppl.
I Have the same douts about a d15b7 swap, improve.
My 1995 eh8 baby here in brazil have 130k Miles. And the engine does have some leaks, poor or bad gás milage compared to how it performed back in the day. Poor performance and bad engine running sound aswell.
Tôo repair it here on some honda specialized mechanic it will be very expensive like 4000 reais. The overhaul. Wich is 1000 dollars almost.
and there is some other honda specialized mechanic that will not take the job not even for 10000 moneys.
Saying that there is no good source of knowledge or parts here in sao Paulo brazil, the biggest city in latin América.

​And I dont think they'll accept this car on a honda dealer mechanic. Or even do a engine swap on it. Because it would probably cost the same price of a 2019 civic.​​​​​​

Like one exemple is: Here the NGK doesnt produce the ngk he71, the ignition wires. Honda started building cars here on 1996.
And in here we have parts to buy from that starting year, like the he76 ignition wires.
So if I really want something Ill have to import it on Ebay and pay more in taxes then the price it self.
or buy used.
Ok. Thats one exemple.

And also change the gear box to a better used one.
And also doing those eletrical changes to have a OBD2 system.

Please, what would be a good "direct bolt" to a easy swap with a newer used engine? Would the axles and steering ball joints match ok?

In my case I roll 40 to 45 miles five days a week on highways. I live in the country side. I just take some feel stop lights along my daily trip, like 1.
So I think a good option to me here would be to stick with d-series. Im not looking for mouting a turbo for now.

Would the d17z3 or the d16y8 do a "direct bolt" on everything in mine eh8 baby?

Thanks.