Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

1993 4 Door LX - caster/ camber

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014
ngm
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ngm is an unknown quantity at this point
1993 4 Door LX - caster/ camber

After replacing my entire front suspension (except for the upper control arms/ball joint and lower ball joints) and had a 4 wheel alignment done. This was about 4 months ago. I also put on new tires. Today I noticed both front tires are shot because of wear on the insides of the tires - the outsides are pretty brand new.....the car only pulls a bit to the right nothing alarming. I'm gonna take it in to get the alignment checked again cuz I didn't bang into anything that would change the alignment but I did add a sway bar after the alignment. Could that have screwed up the alignment or changed the suspension geometry?…looking ahead should I try one of those adjustable caster/camber ball joint kits? I want to keep the OEM ride height - not interested in lowering. And I gotta get new tires.
Thanks
Old 02-23-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 1993 4 Door LX - caster/ camber

Did it always eat tires since you bought it? Something could have gotten bent from the previous owner. If your at OE height them the car should get within specs without any additional parts like camber kits. Inside tire wear can be caused by excessive negative camber or bad toe adjustment. Did the alignment shop give you a print out of the specs they set the car too?

It pulling to right means it's not aligned properly. If an alignment spec is off by even 100ths of an inch it can mess your tires up in a few thousand miles.
Old 02-23-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolNat
If an alignment spec is off by even 100ths of an inch it can mess your tires up in a few thousand miles.
I was taught that an excess 1/4 inch of toe can cause the tire to be dragged sideways 11 feet per mile.
Old 02-23-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
I was taught that an excess 1/4 inch of toe can cause the tire to be dragged sideways 11 feet per mile.
11ft/mile is a lot!

I read something similar to that at NTB or something. A bad alignment can really reek havoc on tires and suspension components.