Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Which springs do i use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedanfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Which springs do i use?

i have a 1995 sedan, and i just got myself rims and tires for it. the tires are 195-50-15.

i was wondering which springs will give me a good drop with these tires? i'm looking at the Skunk2 lowering springs, or Neuspeed race or sport lowering springs. my car is a daily driver, so i'm looking for the most comfortable out of those three as well.

They will be paired up with Skunk2 shocks.
Old 04-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Which springs do i use?

Do you already have the skunk2 shocks?

My advice would be Koni STR shocks with Neuspeed Race or Sport depending on your preference of ride height. You will need to sacrifice a lot of comfort if you go with skunk2.
Old 04-28-2012
Registered!!

i do not have the Skunk2 shocks.

when you say Skunk2 will sacrifice comfort, are you talking about the springs, shocks, or both?

and i heard the Neuspeed race spings are lower, but stiffer than the sport springs. would you know how much stiffer?
Old 04-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Well, let's start with a disclaimer. I'm not a skunk2 fan, period. I don't feel they produce quality products. Skunk2 has earned the nickname Junk2 for a very good reason; there's also the idiom, "pulling a skunk2," which references getting the internet behind you and that leading to success despite a flawed argument/product...

Factually, Skunk2 uses high spring rates and aggressive valving, that results in a rough ride.

Neuspeed race uses high spring rates because they go lower, the lower you go, the higher the spring rate necessary. Overall however, Neuspeed uses relatively low spring rates, which is what makes them a good daily driver comfort spring.

If they fit your budget, the best option would be Progress coilovers, they're between $550-600 depending on where you order from.
Old 04-28-2012
Registered!!

Alright, i think i'll lean towards Neuspeed springs with that said.

Now do you know any other shocks that you recommend that might be cheaper? I found a combo on ebay. I can choose either the sport or race Neuspeed springs, but they come with the Tokico HP shocks. Or "Tokico Blue's". Do you know if those shocks can withstand the drop of the race spings? Or if they even ride well?
Old 04-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Tokico Blues have a great ride, before upgrading further, I was on Blues with H&R springs.

They will not however withstand the drop of Neuspeed Race, you'd need to stick to sports. The reason being is the length of the damper shaft, it's equivalent to the stock length, so if you go to low it equates to them being permanently bottomed out.
Old 04-28-2012
Registered!!

So will the Koni STR shocks withstand the race springs ride height? They almost seem like they are no different than the Tokico blues.
Old 04-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Koni uses slightly shorter damper shafts and slightly more aggressive valving, so they hold up a bit better than Tokicos, but they're overall pretty comparable. they could probably handle the race springs, but only just.
Old 04-28-2012
Registered!!

So how do you think a 1.8" F- 1.6" R drop will look on my Civic? That is the sport springs specs.
Old 04-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Definitely, that's the perfect balance between low and function. Looks good, but you shouldn't have issues with scrapping.
Old 04-28-2012
Registered!!

Alright, thanks!
Old 04-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

No problem, post some pictures once you get it done!