I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2/92 d15b7 Honda civic (ex or lx can't tell because marking is gone) 4 door

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiefsparky1620 is an unknown quantity at this point
2/92 d15b7 Honda civic (ex or lx can't tell because marking is gone) 4 door

Ok so I have a 4 door civic borne in 2/92. Bought it from my sister and got parts at the salvage yard. One was the wire harness for the radio because it was cut out. The wires I have are as follows

Yellow with red stripe. Only hot when car is on
White with blue stripe. Hot all the time
Black with gray dots. Ground.
blue and green. LF+
gray and black. LF-
Red and green. RF+
brown and black. RF-
blue and yellow. LR+
gray and white. LR-
red and yellow. RR+/ but that is hot only when car is on?
brown and white. RR-
SO the only car I have in my car that is not on any schematics is a red wire with black stripe.
when I Google 92 civic now colors match.
When I Google 91 civic all colors are there but the red/black, and the yellow/red is a acc wire not a speaker wire.

Ok so on the wire harness that I pulled from the salvage yard off of a 95 Honda Civic are as follows.
A cluster of 6 ports, 3 on top 3 on bottom a cluster of 4 ports, 2 on top but good spacing between them, 2 on bottom close together but have bigger eiers then the rest. Then a cluster of 4 ports, 2 on top 2 on bottom.

ok so for the 6 ports are as follows
Top3
Green with white strip
green with red stripe
Red with gray dots
Bottom 3
Black with gray dots
Blue with red stripe
Red with black stripe

the 4 ports
top 2
Black with yellow stripe
Blue with gray dots
Bottom 2
Blue with black stripe(larger wire)
Black solid(large wire)

The 4 ports on the end
Top 2
Empty
Blue with white strip
Bottom 2
Empty
Blue with yellow stripe

This is all one piece by the way.

My goal is to use the wire harnes I bought, so I need the correct cymatics with the proper placement for my 92. Can this be done? Or am I going about this the wrong way?. Need help.
Old 04-08-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2/92 d15b7 Honda civic (ex or lx can't tell because marking is gone) 4 door

assuming that's the original engine, that car is a dx/lx. 1992 started a different generation of civic (5th gen, 92-95), so 91 would may have a slightly different wiring scheme (though, dash wiring kits for the civic, specifically the metra 70-1720 harness, is for 86-98 civics).

Upon further inspection and google searching, I'm not 100% convinced that's a plug for a radio. It actually looks like the plug that comes from the HVAC controls into the dash wiring harness. Check out this picture:

Looks like the male plug you have would fit perfectly into the female plug in my picture. I took that picture from an ebay auction for a 92-95 CIVIC HVAC controls wiring harness (source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1995-O...CModel%3ACivic).

Metra does make a wiring harness that plugs into the factory radio, specifically designed to replace OEM harnesses that have been cut off or otherwise damaged. Part number is 71-1720, $8.51 shipped on Amazon, assuming you have amazon prime.
Here's a link to save you a search Here's a link to save you a search
Old 04-08-2018
Registered!!

Yep your spot on.my sister is the one who cut it out. S.o.b. I told her to let me do it.

Well thanks that really helps a lot. Thank you for all the good info.

So that harnes your talking about, will it all be matching color to color? Or will I need to look at where each wire goes. I do have a map where each wire goes.
Old 04-08-2018
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't wired up a stereo in a long while (much less anything older than a 2002 civic), so I did some research to find Honda radio wiring colors and the colors corresponding to the metra harness and made a thing in photoshop. I'm sure if it's wrong, someone will chime in. Also, I have no idea what that lights on signal (red/blk) is for, and it's not present on the metra harness.

The source for the honda colors (source said "1995 honda civic stereo wiring diagram"):

Source for metra colors (product page > overview tab for the harness on newegg; another site said it was EIA color code standard):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0FB-0019-00264

Hope that helps
Old 04-08-2018
Registered!!

Cool that helps out so much. But I don't have a solid red wire for the dim and illume, could that be the red wire with the black stripe?

P.S.

After you posted that with your wire schematics, turns out your solid red wire is my red with black stripes.

My dash lights don't come on So I took a test light to it. Headlights off no power to the red with the black stripe wire. Turn headlights on and boom its a hot wire.

So now my question is, do I have to have my deck in to have my dash lights come on, or when I get my wire harness wired in, will my dash lights come on without the deck plugged in?

Last edited by Chiefsparky1620; 04-08-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Found what the red with the black stripe does.
Old 04-08-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Haven't wired up a stereo in a long while (much less anything older than a 2002 civic), so I did some research to find Honda radio wiring colors and the colors corresponding to the metra harness and made a thing in photoshop. I'm sure if it's wrong, someone will chime in. Also, I have no idea what that lights on signal (red/blk) is for, and it's not present on the metra harness.

The source for the honda colors (source said "1995 honda civic stereo wiring diagram"):

Source for metra colors (product page > overview tab for the harness on newegg; another site said it was EIA color code standard):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0FB-0019-00264

Hope that helps
thank you. So much help
Old 04-08-2018
Administrator
Administrator

It (your red/blk) could be the radio illumination circuit as opposed to the diagram I found stating orange was that circuit. If it's hot when the headlights are on, that should illuminate the radio lighting. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me

edit: this site explicitly lists red/blk as radio illumination, and an n/a for their dimmer circuit, so yeah, honda red/blk to metra orange should do it.