I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Why won't my aftermarket Tac work? 92 Civic D16z6

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theRedhatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Why won't my aftermarket Tac work? 92 Civic D16z6

Hey guys so when I got the car it already had the tac mounted, it's a Equus rpm tac and the guy said I need a innovative trigger or something, I checked all the wiring and I guess it's wired correctly il upload pics later tonight.

Anyone ever heard of needing a relay for the tac? Supposedly that's what the piece is he was saying I needed.

Any ideas? The tac moves a tiny bit when I start the car, but doesn't work.
Old 05-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why won't my aftermarket Tac work? 92 Civic D16z6

It's "TACH", short for tachometer.

it's a Equus rpm tac and the guy said I need a
Seriously? Find out for yourself because the installer was lame LOL

Let's spend about 0.13 seconds with Google and check some installation instructions....clicked the first one I see, I figure their products will all be similar...... here ya go:

http://www.iequus.com/Content/Suppor...-0012.revE.pdf

^Click that damn link there^
and we can read it together
Page 1 --> step 3 --> Tachometer Signal Hookup --> Option 1

" - Direct Hookup with GREEN Wire- the GREEN tachometer wire is connected directly to the vehicle's "Ignition System Tachometer Signal Port".
Use this option on any vehicle/ignition system where a suitable tachometer port is available"

Now you need a decent wiring diagram for the car.......I have that, so read here

The car has 4 tach signal connection points available (though some may be in use already) Each is a blue wire:

1) Tach signal is supplied to the higher level gauge cluster so there should be a wire in one of those connectors that could be tapped.
Far left connector C511, #5 terminal

2) Cruise control, control unit connector has a tach signal wire in it, under dash, drivers side kick panel area: C413, #7

3) Tach test connector in the engine compartment, drivers side upper firewall just in front of the grommet for the main harness where it passes through the firewall, 2 terminal shell, white plastic

4) an unused connection point in a harness junction connector somewhere just below where the cruise control unit would be located (connector C415)

Better check the rest of the lame installers work....If he was too lazy to read and hook up the one important wire that makes it work, what else was done halfazz or completely wrong?
Old 05-07-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

Seriously? Find out for yourself because the installer was lame LOL

Let's spend about 0.13 seconds with Google and check some installation instructions....clicked the first one I see, I figure their products will all be similar...... here ya go:

http://www.iequus.com/Content/Suppor...-0012.revE.pdf

^Click that damn link there^
and we can read it together
Page 1 --> step 3 --> Tachometer Signal Hookup --> Option 1

" - Direct Hookup with GREEN Wire- the GREEN tachometer wire is connected directly to the vehicle's "Ignition System Tachometer Signal Port".
Use this option on any vehicle/ignition system where a suitable tachometer port is available"

Now you need a decent wiring diagram for the car.......I have that, so read here

The car has 4 tach signal connection points available (though some may be in use already) Each is a blue wire:

1) Tach signal is supplied to the higher level gauge cluster so there should be a wire in one of those connectors that could be tapped.
Far left connector C511, #5 terminal

2) Cruise control, control unit connector has a tach signal wire in it, under dash, drivers side kick panel area: C413, #7

3) Tach test connector in the engine compartment, drivers side upper firewall just in front of the grommet for the main harness where it passes through the firewall, 2 terminal shell, white plastic

4) an unused connection point in a harness junction connector somewhere just below where the cruise control unit would be located (connector C415)

Better check the rest of the lame installers work....If he was too lazy to read and hook up the one important wire that makes it work, what else was done halfazz or completely wrong?

he has the power hooked up (because it has red backglow)

he has the green signal wire tapped into the black pill/blueor green wire by the brake booster

and he has it grounded...

all wires are in the right spot. im just not sure, il take pics soon i havent had the time.
Old 05-07-2017
Registered!!

and i know how its spelled i was just typing on my phone at work and didnt really care much how things were spelled im here for help not spell check thanks tho ezone XD your always coming in clutch tho
Old 05-07-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

he has the green signal wire tapped into the black pill/
What black pill?

Did the googled instructions match the tach you have?

Check step 4, "cylinder setting instructions" were done correctly? (if this matches your unit)
How about the troubleshooting stuff in the instructions?

Use a meter to check that there is really a working tach signal at the back of the tach?.....If no signal, check the hookup point in the engine compartment for a good connection with no corrosion or lousy wire hacks, and a working tach signal is actually present in that hookup point.

Is the green signal wire plugged into the correct hole on the back of the tach?
Will this tach work in a different car? (possible bad unit...he got it from a friend for free!)
Does your gauge cluster have no tach from the factory?

and i know how its spelled i was just typing on my phone at work and didnt really care much how things were spelled im here for help not spell check thanks tho ezone XD your always coming in clutch tho
I sometimes do the same to people posting about their VTECH, so don't think you're special. I mean, VTEC is stamped right on the valve cover (or wherever when the engine is equipped) with no H anywhere in sight.
"Camero" is another big LOL to me.
Old 05-07-2017
Registered!!

What black pill?

Did the googled instructions match the tach you have?

Check step 4, "cylinder setting instructions" were done correctly? (if this matches your unit)
How about the troubleshooting stuff in the instructions?

Use a meter to check that there is really a working tach signal at the back of the tach?.....If no signal, check the hookup point in the engine compartment for a good connection with no corrosion or lousy wire hacks, and a working tach signal is actually present in that hookup point.

Is the green signal wire plugged into the correct hole on the back of the tach?
Will this tach work in a different car? (possible bad unit...he got it from a friend for free!)
Does your gauge cluster have no tach from the factory?

I sometimes do the same to people posting about their VTECH, so don't think you're special. I mean, VTEC is stamped right on the valve cover (or wherever when the engine is equipped) with no H anywhere in sight.
"Camero" is another big LOL to me.
Thanks bro I will check all that, yes possibly it could be a bad unit who knows where it came from. And "the pill" as they call it is in the engine bay by the left strut bolt and it has the blue wire you need to splice it to for the rpm to work I was told
Old 05-07-2017
Registered!!

@ezone for some reason he has this green wire connected to the black wire coming from the tach...my tach doesnt have a green wire coming out of it.

and he has the brown wire from the tach hooked up to the "black pill/blue wire" in the engine bay...

see anything wrong here?...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	89809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0414.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	89810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	89811  
Old 05-07-2017
Registered!!

There's pictures
Old 05-07-2017

he has this green wire connected to the black wire coming from the tach...my tach doesnt have a green wire coming out of it
Got actual instructions for your exact tach? Check manufacturers website.

The instructions I linked showed multiple choice hookups on the back of the tach (and electricity doesn't care what color the insulation is on a wire)....but I have no idea if the instructions were right for your particular tach.
Got a pic of the back of your tach where all the wires connect?

see anything wrong here?...
That doesn't look like the tach test hookup to me. It's not supposed to be black shell according to my diagram....and you're in a bit too close to see the rest of the area in your pic.

Look where the larger harness pokes through the firewall, should be a white connector not hooked to anything a few inches away from the rubber boot. May be held down with that blue tape or just dangling in the air, or tucked away and hard to find

Found this pic labeled Del Sol, should be similar:

Integra, also similar
Old 05-07-2017
Registered!!

il just have to find the exact tach instructions for my model, because he has the brown wire ran into the engine bay and spliced into the "blue wire" which the one in the picture you posted of the del sol
Old 05-08-2017
Registered!!

(the wiring in my car) whats confusing me is why does he have the black (ground) wire from the tach, wired into a green wire??? isnt it just supposed to go to ground why did he have to make this confusing for me.
Old 05-08-2017

Originally Posted by theRedhatch
(the wiring in my car) whats confusing me is why does he have the black (ground) wire from the tach, wired into a green wire??? isnt it just supposed to go to ground why did he have to make this confusing for me.
*cough*
"(and electricity doesn't care what color the insulation is on a wire)"
One could use pink, plaid, and polka-dot wires as long as they all connect to the correct places.

On yours, does each circuit begin and end at the desired places?
Old 05-08-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

*cough*
One could use pink, plaid, and polka-dot wires as long as they all connect to the correct places.
What he is trying to say is that electricity isn't picky, it will puts its juice into anything it can without regard to color.
Old 05-09-2017
Registered!!

Well that kind of pisses me off that he did a halfass job and wires it how he wanted now I can't tell what goes where. I basically probably should just rewire it all

Last edited by theRedhatch; 05-09-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Wrote retire instead of rewire, might as well retire tho with all these halfass hookups lol