I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Really confusing brake light problem. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
denniscariot is an unknown quantity at this point
Really confusing brake light problem. HELP!

This is the deal. 92 civic DX hatchback. Probably a flood car with a salvage title that got magically turned into a clean title, as Rhode Island is one of the few states, if not the only, where you can still pull that off. The brake lights work, until you turn on the running lights and/or headlights. In that case, the third brake light lights up as if it were a taillight and the other two brake lights do not work at all. I have already rebuilt both taillight wiring harnesses, replaced the brake light bulb sockets, rebuilt the entire wiring harness in and under the hatch, including the grounds, and no dice. I know the next step is to see what's going on with the wiring harness on the driver's side, which I will start tomorrow, but has anyone had a similar problem and can tell me where to look? Just a note: a lot of the wiring I replaced was very corroded or oxidized, pick your term, but this looks like an obvious short but I can't figure out why that would light one brake light up and disable the others. Hopefully someone out there has an answer, because I am sick and tired of ripping this car apart and I have a looming court date for no brake lights. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Really confusing brake light problem. HELP!

With what you dealing with you only have 2 switched lines coming back (Tail/license/marker & Brake)

It sounds like a bad ground to me.... but it sounds like you covered a lot.

Make sure you don't have a tail filament with one end loose and is now touching the brake filament (inside a Brake/Tail dual filament bulb)
Old 09-04-2014
Registered!!

The only dual filament bulbs I have are brake/directional. The four tails are all single. I'm still trying to figure out why the third light stays on and the others just stop working. Thanks for replying.
Old 09-04-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denniscariot
The only dual filament bulbs I have are brake/directional.

The four tails are all single.
Well that's part of your problem!

According to my hatchback diagram:
Two of the park lights (tails) are also brake lights, those should have dual filament bulbs.

Turn signals use a single filament bulb.
Left turn feed wire is green/blue turning into green/yellow at the bulb socket
Right turn feed wire is green/yellow all the way from the switch to the socket.

Park light feeds are all red/black wires.

Brake light wires are green/black

Grounds are black for all these lights.

HTH
Old 09-04-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Agree, that at least 2 are dual filament. If not all 4 at that age.

Look at the wire colors, and # of contacts in the socket.
Old 09-04-2014
Registered!!

Please excuse my previous post, I had just gotten out of bed after two doubles in a row, and what I said about the lighting configuration was totally wrong(Note to self: Have a cup of coffee before you post anything) and I'm not as young as I used to be . . . What I posted about the lights was incorrect. But, the good news is, I have this all sorted out. I know what I have to do and I will pull it off before 9 am tomorrow. thanks for the help, guys.