Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

speedometer problem 95 civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B18_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
speedometer problem 95 civic

I have a 95 civic that i got today. Rpm gauge works, but not speedometer. Would this be cluster or speed sensor???
Old 11-28-2011
Registered!!

tanker1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: speedometer problem 95 civic

Anyone figure this out? I have a DX and the same thing happens, speedometer not working, all other gauges working.
Old 12-17-2011
Registered!!

93CiviCex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tanker1975
Anyone figure this out? I have a DX and the same thing happens, speedometer not working, all other gauges working.
I have the same problem and was told that it's more likely the speed sensor since the other guages are working. Haven't fixed it yet though...
Old 12-17-2011
Registered!!

MrDobin is an unknown quantity at this point

I think, not certain. Its the wheel sensor. I was reading on the ABS sensors and it would make sense. I have an ABS light myself that kicks on because one of my sensors is pooped and after 10mph it turns on the ABS light.
Hope ya figure it out. Not a terrible thing, but annoying as hell
Old 12-17-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

ABS has nothing to do with the speedometer on a car that old.

Speedo runs off of the VSS in the trans. So does the PCM.

If the VSS was faulty (dead) there would be a code in the PCM for it, and a corresponding check engine light. A quick drive with a scanner would show vehicle speed on the display.

The car needs a speedometer head.
Pull the gauge cluster from the dash, then take it apart. Remove the speedometer assembly from the cluster. Turn it over, look at the back of it.
Most of the problems I see with them comes from the circuit board attached to the speedo, they need the components resoldered. If you can solder, and if the circuit board isn't coated in a protective layer of solid plastic, it can be a free repair (IF it works).

If 1/2 of the board is encased in hard layer of plastic, I haven't been able to remove that stuff to resolder the board. No fix, only replace in that case. Unless some electronics Guru has figured out a way around the stuff.
Old 12-17-2011
Registered!!

MrDobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Ouch. Gonna hope this doesnt happen to me
Old 12-18-2011
Registered!!

aidan/eg5 is an unknown quantity at this point

has it always been like this or has it just started happening silly one but have you checked the sensors are all connected up right speedo sensor should be on top of the gear box just where the drives go in. try disconnect and reconnect it if it doesn't fix it its prob something to do with your clocks
Old 03-01-2012
Registered!!

mikeo is an unknown quantity at this point

I HAVE A 1992 HONDA CIVIC. tHE PROBLEM IS THAT THE INSTRUMENT PANEL HAS TWO PROBLEMS. 1. THE SPEEDOMETER DOESN'T WORK OR WORKS INTERMITTEN. WE CHECKED ALL THE PLUGS IN THE BACK AND THEY SEEM TO BE OK. WE DON'T SEE ANY SENSORS IN PLAIN SIGHT. IT HAS A MAOR CIRCUIT BOARD ON THE BACK OF THE PANEL BUT EVERYTHING LOOKS CLEAN AND UNTOUCHED. PROBLEM 2 IS THE LIGHTS IN THAT INSTRUMENT ASSEMBLY DOES NOT WORK. WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM. WE PUT IN A NEW MOTOR THAT HAS ONLY 35K MILES SO WE EXPECT TO BE DRIVING THIS CAR A FEW MORE YEARS.
Old 10-17-2012
Registered!!

panic989 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK guys. I had his same problem and drove around for a good 6 months without a speedo. the rest of the gauge cluster worked but the speedo did not. The problem was that the speedo sensor in the transmission had bad ends to the sensor itself. Its a 10 mil bolt on top of the tranny with just a clip holding the wires in. I had to have my whole clip replaced because that was the my problem and it sounds like a few people are having similar problems. IF you are good with wiring you may be able to do this yoursel but I wasnt too sure what the initial problem was so I took it to a shop in Vegas called Force Fed Racing. If you areclose to vegas I would suggest checking him out and seeing if he can diagnose the problem. I had this problem on a gsr swapped eg hatch.
Old 02-12-2013
ttl
Slow Jammin'

ttl is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same problem in my 92 ex. If I bang on the dash it starts working again, so must be in the cluster wiring or on of the boards.
Old 02-12-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ttl
i have the same problem in my 92 ex. If I bang on the dash it starts working again, so must be in the cluster wiring or on of the boards.
The problem is usually on the circuit board attached to the speedo itself, not the board on the back of the gauge cluster. You would have to pull the speedo out of the gauge cluster to see this board.

If the board isn't sealed (encased in a hard plastic-like coating IIRC), you can probably go retouch all of the solder connections for all the components and fix the intermittent break.

HTH
Old 02-13-2014
Registered!!

joeycivic94 is an unknown quantity at this point

My speedo im my 94 dx jumps and I can't figure out why it seems like it only happens when I have been driving for a while

Last edited by joeycivic94; 02-13-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2017
Registered!!

Joseph Slone is an unknown quantity at this point

Old post, but mine was resolved by replacing the battery. I had been intending to do so anyway, so no big deal. I did run the diagnostic test and the instrument cluster and that led me to either a batter or a fuse.
Old 09-23-2019
Registered!!

beneditti is an unknown quantity at this point

VSS is only like $5 on Amazon and it literally takes a minute to swap out. Wouldn't hurt to try.
Like someone else said, you'd get a check engine light for it, however, when I had that problem sometimes it would quit working but I the check engine light never came on.