Notices
Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Brake rotor rubbing against my caliper bracket.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
silentz is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake rotor rubbing against my caliper bracket.

Hey guys,

I was changing my right axle and noticed my rotor is rubbing against the caliper bracket. Unfortunately, I drove it a very short distance before I realized it.

I took the new axle out and put the old axle back in with the old axle nut and it still rubs. Wheel bearing spins fine and smooth.

Here are the pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/OjSXH

Any idea would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a lost here

Thanks everybody.
Old 06-24-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Brake rotor rubbing against my caliper bracket.

seized slider pins?

lub the hell out of them
Old 06-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I assume the rotor is rubbed all the way around evenly?

Did you set the car down or roll it without the axle bolted in the knuckle?
Or did you forget to tighten the big nut the first time?
How tight did you torque it?
Seems like the hub may have moved outward to make the rotor rub, I can picture the hub trying to move out of the bearing if the axle wasn't installed, or if the axle nut wasn't tight.
Old 06-25-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I assume the rotor is rubbed all the way around evenly?

Did you set the car down or roll it without the axle bolted in the knuckle?
Or did you forget to tighten the big nut the first time?
How tight did you torque it?
Seems like the hub may have moved outward to make the rotor rub, I can picture the hub trying to move out of the bearing if the axle wasn't installed, or if the axle nut wasn't tight.

Yea, the first time i forgot to tighten he axle nut. Then I tighten it and still rubs.

I brought it to a shop near me and they pushed the wheel hub and bearing back in and it still rubs for some reason.

Any idea?
Old 06-26-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silentz
Yea, the first time i forgot to tighten he axle nut. Then I tighten it and still rubs.

I brought it to a shop near me and they pushed the wheel hub and bearing back in and it still rubs for some reason.

Any idea?
Well we've nailed down the origin of the problem, and the problem is contained within the knuckle/bearing/hub area. What happened amongst those parts that's causing the rotor or hub to be in an incorrect location?
Old 06-26-2017
Registered!!

Well we've nailed down the origin of the problem, and the problem is contained within the knuckle/bearing/hub area. What happened amongst those parts that's causing the rotor or hub to be in an incorrect location?
I think the bracket might have bent when I drove it out of the drive way wihtout completely tighten the axle nut. I'll have to take off the hub assembly on the other side and compare them sometime this week and report back.
Old 06-26-2017

I seriously doubt the brake bracket got bent. If it bent it would have bent outward to give the rotor more room as it was pushed outward and grinding.

I think that for some reason, some part of the bearing/hub/rotor has moved outward and it hasn't been found yet.

Did anyone ever replace the wheel bearing in that corner and forget to install the snap ring retainer?
Old 06-27-2017
Registered!!

I seriously doubt the brake bracket got bent. If it bent it would have bent outward to give the rotor more room as it was pushed outward and grinding.

I think that for some reason, some part of the bearing/hub/rotor has moved outward and it hasn't been found yet.

Did anyone ever replace the wheel bearing in that corner and forget to install the snap ring retainer?
It was working fine before I decided to replace the axle because it clicks too much when turning. I owned this car for 17 years and haven't replace the bearing yet because it is still good when I spin them.

I spun the rotor to see if it got bent during the process and it spun straight.

Hmmm..this is very weird for me. I haven't take the other side out and compare yet, maybe in a few days when I have time.
Old 07-02-2017
Registered!!

OK. This is really simple to fix and I feel like a dunce after I figured it out.

See those washers on the bolts? They don't go on the bolts, they go between the caliper bracket and the hub assembly and you slot the bolt through them.

Hope your problem is the same as mine. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2017

Name:  488Ik7U.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  811.8 KB

See those washers on the bolts? They don't go on the bolts, they go between the caliper bracket and the hub assembly and you slot the bolt through them.
If this is true, then someone has changed something during the cars life to not quite stock, because the factory didn't put washers between the bracket and the steering knuckle.
Now that you mention the washers, IIRC the factory didn't put washers on those bolts at all......

Is the other side assembled the same way?
Old 07-03-2017
Registered!!

If this is true, then someone has changed something during the cars life to not quite stock, because the factory didn't put washers between the bracket and the steering knuckle.
Now that you mention the washers, IIRC the factory didn't put washers on those bolts at all......

Is the other side assembled the same way?

I took the other side out and it doesn't have the washer. It seems like the right is not original because I tried to fit the rotor from the left side and it wont fit because it is a bit smaller. I'm just glad I can drive it again instead of taking the bus for 2hrs each way to work.

Thanks for the help ezone. I really appreciated.
Old 07-03-2017

Originally Posted by silentz
I took the other side out and it doesn't have the washer. It seems like the right is not original because I tried to fit the rotor from the left side and it wont fit because it is a bit smaller.
So someone was sold a completely wrong brake rotor, but went ahead and used it anyway even though they had to hack a modification so the wrong part could be used---- instead of just going back to the parts store and swapping for the correct part?

Old 07-06-2017
Registered!!

So someone was sold a completely wrong brake rotor, but went ahead and used it anyway even though they had to hack a modification so the wrong part could be used---- instead of just going back to the parts store and swapping for the correct part?

This seems likely to be the situation here. Either way, I'm happy it is fixed and running properly now.