Notices
Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Parking Brake Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanHalenRules is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Parking Brake Help Needed

Howdy everyone! I recently bought a 1994 hatchback civic DX from a friend of mine. The car was converted to rear disc brakes before my friend got it (also a b18 swap, for some side info), and he did mention something about the parking brake, but wasn't too specific.The car sat in his driveway for about 6 months before I got it (although ever since we gave it a quick jump and started it there, it has had no problem starting and runs perfect). Anyway, I am looking to register it fairly soon, and I wanted to just do an overall check on the car and make sure everything was good to go and will pass inspection. Unfortunately the parking brake does not stop the wheels at all, and I even tried tightening the cables behind the brake lever and made it so it takes a lot of strength to pull it up. Both wheels spin exactly the same as they normally do when I spin them by hand with the car jacked, literally nothing changes with the lever pulled up. I want to buy both new cables and put them in myself, but I'm confused as to what exact model brake cables I need considering it was a rear disc conversion. Also confused as to which site to buy them from if I can find out the right ones to look for. I usually have been looking for most car stuff on www.carid.com, and they have had almost everything else I am looking to get for the car except parking brake cables. So I started looking on ebay and I haven't bought anything from ebay for at least 11 or 12 years I think.... I don't know what sellers to trust, and I don't know what other sites will have the cables I need. Any help figuring it out would be greatly appreciated.

Some pics if it helps:
https://imgur.com/lznnYmV
https://imgur.com/5IlmfXq
https://imgur.com/jpM0HPg

Last edited by VanHalenRules; 08-08-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Parking Brake Help Needed

we don't have much on older civics... nor many that is knowledgeable about them...
but we do have for the 7th gen cars.

it will mostly depend on which car the rear suspension comes from, and see if that car cables will work or not

some reading on the 7th gen - maybe something is similar (or not)

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...elled-out.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...1-01-05-a.html
Old 08-08-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

i would start by removing the rear brake rotor/caliper. you need to see what you bought, and if it's actually hooked up correctly.

you may have small parking brake DRUM assembly inside the center of the disk which may or may not be intact or adjusted. people like to do things half ***, you need to know what you're working with. you may have the disk brake stuff intact and working, and the parking drum innards missing completely.

you might also have the screw in self adjusting calipers that are out of adjustment. it's been a while, can't really remember how those brakes operate.
this is how i remember doing 1991 crx si disks:

it's been a while, can't really remember how those particular brakes operate.
post a pic when you get it apart.
after you get the rear brake adjusted properly, then you move on to the cable.

Last edited by RobertD; 08-08-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2018
Registered!!

I did think maybe the cables are good, but something in the calipers or rotors weren't engaging just for the parking brake. I just thought cables because the main pedal brake system in the car seems to function the way it's supposed to. The cable lines all look like they are good from the outside, so I thought maybe stretched cables or something. I'll go out and try to remove the calipers and inspect it, and probably take pics.
Old 08-08-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by VanHalenRules
............. and he did mention something about the parking brake, but wasn't too specific.

before you bother doing anything, if he's a decent friend i recommend you pick his brain on this. he may know exactly what the issue is.
Old 08-08-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Rear disc swap probably came from an integra or a si
Old 08-09-2018
Registered!!

https://imgur.com/a/bNFqfw3

Ok I spent some time today checking out some youtube videos and found one of someone taking apart an Integra brake caliper. This is the video:
.The way the brake cable connects to the wheel area is pretty much exactly the same as it is on my civic (just the pin (yellow arrow in my picture) was different) and I went out there and sprayed some WD40 on it and got it to wiggle a little. When I went in the car and pulled the brake lever, I went back out and felt that spot and the cable was really tight and didn't wiggle at all... So it seems it's not the cables, but it's the part with the spring on it that seems to be rusted frozen (white arrow in my picture). I'll take another look at it tomorrow and see if I can get it moving. Also even though I wasn't able to take the caliper off to remove the rotor (e-brake cable won't let me take it off unless it's removed first) and check properly for a drum parking brake, I did shine a flashlight into it when I tilted it out a tiny bit and it doesn't seem like there is a drum system inside it.
Old 08-09-2018
Registered!!

I just came in from working on it and I'm 100% sure the problem is the mechanism under the spring on the calipers. Must have been from sitting for a while after having winter salts and stuff all over it. I took off the entire caliper, and tried the take off that nut that sits under the bracket that the brake cable connects to, but the wrench kept bending the metal on the nut instead of unscrewing it. https://imgur.com/F7ombt5 https://imgur.com/jYTLPRX
Once again, the cables seem to be tightening exactly the way they are supposed to, but they are not turning the cam thing inside that engages the brakes. Should I just accept defeat and get new rear calipers? Or would there be a way to get that specific piece apart and replace the parts inside?