Notices
Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Rear bearing leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
velozp is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear bearing leak?

Hello everyone Happy Holidays. I took out my good ol reliable 95 civic LX 4 door auto( 198K) to the store and noticed by brake pedal went close to the floor. It did it a week ago but not as bad. When I got back home, I took off all 4 wheels for brake inspection. Also noticed my brake fluid reservoir level was almost empty. I noticed the drivers side rear wheel cylinder is leaking. No rotted brake lines anywhere. Pretty sure this is where the air/ fluid went. However my concern is their is a lot of black ( looks like bearing grease) all over the brake shoes/hardware/and on inside of the drum face. I do not see any leaks around the axle hub seal. I sprayed it down with 2 cans of brake cleaner. Still I see no leaking around the axle hub or seal. I'm not sure how long this wheel cylinder was leaking but could brake fluid cause this mess? I guess I can do the back brakes ( both sides) and check that side that was leaking in a few days of driving.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 12-13-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Rear bearing leak?

probably just a mix of brake dust, grime, and brake fluid. get that wheel cylinder replaced, might want to do shoes as well since the brake fluid may have contaminated the lining
Old 12-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the shoes got wet they need to be replaced. Period.
Contaminated brake linings might cause it to not stop at all, or they can cause the wheel to lock up--at the worst possible time.

Everything in the brake area needs to be cleaned and dried so new shoes don't get contaminated. LOTS of brake parts cleaner.
Old 12-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
velozp is an unknown quantity at this point

yes I plan to do both sides all new components. All for $150.00 from napa . That's one thing about old technology. Easy to fix and cheap. Thanks for the info guys. Again be safe and happy holidays