Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1995 Civic LX Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daluchini is an unknown quantity at this point
1995 Civic LX Overheating

My 95 civic overheats occasionaly, (I don’t let it get in the red, but it gets close). Temperature outside is mild (between 66-73 F). I have replaced the coolant temp snesor, thermostat, fan switch and lower radiator hose. The radiator doesn’t seem to be losing any water and the fan works fine. Usually the car begins to stray away from its normal temp on the instrument cluster while I am sitting in traffic or throughout stop and go areas. Any ideas on what it could be? Please any feedback would be helpful. Thanks
Old 02-01-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 1995 Civic LX Overheating

When did you last bleed the coolant of air and what procedure did you use to bleed air?
Water-pump circulating coolant mix properly at operating temp?
Radiator fan engaging during stops and temp rises?
Old 02-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the car begins to stray away from its normal temp on the instrument cluster while I am sitting in traffic or throughout stop and go areas.
Is the radiator fan running at that time?
After the fan runs for a while and shuts off because it brought the temperature down, what does the gauge on the dash show?

I have replaced the coolant temp snesor,
There are two different sensors: One for the gauge, another for the computer.
Which did you replace?

Got a capable scanner (obd1) that can display live data from the ECM, so you can compare what it sees as the coolant temperature vs what you see on the gauge?
Old 02-01-2018
Registered!!

Daluchini is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Megalodong
When did you last bleed the coolant of air and what procedure did you use to bleed air?
Water-pump circulating coolant mix properly at operating temp?
Radiator fan engaging during stops and temp rises?
It’s been a while since I bled the coolant of air, but I haven’t recently had an issues with my car overheating until today. I followed the instructions in my “Haynes” manual for bleeding the coolant air. Im assuming the water pump is working properly, as today is the first time I’ve had this issue in about 6 months. Radiator fan is engaging during stops, but temp still rises.
Old 05-12-2018
Registered!!

Legionnaire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daluchini

It’s been a while since I bled the coolant of air, but I haven’t recently had an issues with my car overheating until today. I followed the instructions in my “Haynes” manual for bleeding the coolant air. Im assuming the water pump is working properly, as today is the first time I’ve had this issue in about 6 months. Radiator fan is engaging during stops, but temp still rises.
Hey I know it's been a while, hopefully you got it fixed by now. I would bleed coolant with front end jacked up. If you see your coolant constantly bleeding and start boiling, that means blown head gasket and exhaust gases are leaking through your cooling system.
Old 05-19-2018
Registered!!

Ray Huggins is an unknown quantity at this point

You going to love this 95 Civic 1.5 L classic blown head gasket water and oil Idols like s*** I'm taking the valve cover off getting ready to pull the head off and I get this brainstorm this brainstorm as as follows I take the thermostat out tighten the head bolts to another 5 or 10 pounds torque put that sucker back together running perfect I haven't even changed the oil yet and idles good anybody want to reply to that one
Old 05-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Do you have heat when it overheats? If not, there could be a circulation problem, like a bad water pump. If you have heat and you can cool off the engine by turning on the heater, you probably have a clogged radiator.
Old 05-21-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray Huggins
You going to love this 95 Civic 1.5 L classic blown head gasket water and oil Idols like s*** I'm taking the valve cover off getting ready to pull the head off and I get this brainstorm this brainstorm as as follows I take the thermostat out tighten the head bolts to another 5 or 10 pounds torque put that sucker back together running perfect I haven't even changed the oil yet and idles good anybody want to reply to that one
Most likely by tightening the head bolts it helped the head gasket to seal coolant from getting into cylinders or seal from compression loss causing the rough idle. One problem the OP may face in the future is if he tightened the head bolts 10 ft/lbs over spec ..if were to overheat it could possibly cause the threads in the head to strip.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-21-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Most likely by tightening the head bolts it help gasket to seal coolant from getting into cylinders or seal from compression loss causing the rough idle. One problem you may face in the future is if you tightened the head bolts 10 ft/lbs over spec ..if were to overheat it could possibly cause the threads in the head to strip.
I’ve tried overtightening the head bolts to temporarily stop/reduce head gasket leakage several times, and I’ve never seen it help at all.
Old 05-21-2018

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER

I’ve tried overtightening the head bolts to temporarily stop/reduce head gasket leakage several times, and I’ve never seen it help at all.

Maybe he got lucky but if his issue was ever head gasket related to begin with then tightening the bolts will be just a temporary fix until cycles of expansion and cooling cause the issue to reappear.
Old 05-21-2018
Registered!!

You must have misunderstood my question my car was running like s*** it had water in the oil it was overheating do to a blown head gasket I did not change the head gasket I tighten the head down an additional 5 to 10 foot pounds put the valve cover back on drove it and yesterday from Victorville to Lake Elsinore car is running fine no radiator problems my heater works great the problem has been resolved I'm not asking you for advice I'm letting you know how I fixed it
Old 05-21-2018
Registered!!

You must have misunderstood my question my car was running like s*** it had water in the oil it was overheating do to a blown head gasket I did not change the head gasket I tighten the head down an additional 5 to 10 foot pounds put the valve cover back on drove it and yesterday from Victorville to Lake Elsinore car is running fine no radiator problems my heater works great the problem has been resolved I'm not asking you for advice I'm letting you know how I fixed it
I see. I’m glad it worked for you, and I hope it continues to work.
Old 05-22-2018
Registered!!

all I was asking is if you think that's a good move or a bad move would there be repercussions Maybe ? so far doing great and even at an idle is perfect everything same power and the heater is working great thank you for asking lol
Old 05-22-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

all I was asking is if you think that's a good move or a bad move would there be repercussions Maybe ? so far doing great and even at an idle is perfect everything same power and the heater is working great thank you for asking
You'll find out your answers as you continue to drive it

It's not something I would do for a customers car because it's not a guaranteeable repair. My paid work has to be solid.

I do have a story about a 1976 Chevette ...... it was pumping oil into the radiator at an alarming rate until I tightened all the head bolts about a half turn each. (some idiot put the engine together and didn't tighten hardly anything)