Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Leaking Clutch Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Leaking Clutch Fluid

1995 Civic EX coupe, B20 swap, Manual (LS) transmission.

Found a few drops on driveway today and couldn't identify the substance. After returning home for a thirty mile drive I had trouble getting into reverse gear my car into parking space and clutch pedal wouldn't return to resting position. Turn off engine then easily shifted to neutral. Clutch pedal returned to resting position. I checked the clutch cylinder and fluid is visible but below "low" fill line. Being that it's dark out and my suspension is low I didn't bother looking for the source but my guess is the slave cylinder is leaking based on locations of the drips. No fluid seen on or near clutch master cylinder.

Should I not use the car until I can tow it to where I can work on it?
If it is the slave cylinder..any tips or recommendation for repair?
Transmission is from a '96-01 Acura integra LS... Is the slave cylinder the same dimesions as a D-series?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-15-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaking Clutch Fluid

Squeeze the boot on the slave or peel it back a bit on the large end, see if it's holding a bunch of fluid. If that's holding fluid, that means the slave has been leaking.....and if the boot retains all of that leakage it can push the piston inward and make the pedal feel "lower than usual"

If needed, order one for the car that trans came out of.

Random goggle image with the correct boot already circled:
Old 11-15-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Squeeze the boot on the slave or peel it back a bit on the large end, see if it's holding a bunch of fluid. If that's holding fluid, that means the slave has been leaking.....and if the boot retains all of that leakage it can push the piston inward and make the pedal feel "lower than usual"
Okay Thanks. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

If this one is correct OEM part it looks to be interchangeable with 5th & 6th gens Civics too: http://www.new-part.com/product/acur...yABEgIWUPD_BwE
I'll check with me local dealer..their parts prices seem to be competitive with Honda genuine sites.

In this thread: http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threa...-fluid.211611/ the OP list his bleeding procedure..would you agree:

11. There are a bunch of different ideas of how to bleed the clutch but this is what has always worked for me.
a. Fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir.
b. Have my helper pump the pedal with the bleeder open and the cap off the clutch master cylinder (since it was completely empty)
c. Once it started coming out of the slave bleeder I tightened the valve.
d. Top off fluid in master cylinder and secure the cap onto it
e. Have helper pump the clutch 4 times then hold it down.
f. Quickly open the valve with the clear hose still on it. (watch for bubble etc) then CLOSE the valve.
g. Have helper pull the pedal back up (it will be stuck to the floor) and repeat steps "e" and "f" but only a maximum of 3 times before adding more brake fluid to the master cylinder. This way you won't run out of fluid in their and accidentally suck air into it, causing you to have to do this process all over again
h. When there are no more bubbles coming out of the slave cylinder your clutch lines will be sufficiently bled, tighten up the valve, make sure the clutch pedal is firm and take a ride.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-15-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2017

Pulled the slave cylinder boot and a few ounces of brake fluid was in it.
Looks to me like it's okay to drivetoday to pickup a part and drive to where I need to replace it. I'll most likley gravity feed bleed it.

As much as I know better not to I'm going the Autocloned route for AM part. How long do you think a $13 dollar clave cylinder will last?..lol. Wait, it's a "lifetime" part and that means I can return it a limited amount of two times. That's an odd definition of "lifetime".

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-16-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Pulled the slave cylinder boot and a few ounces of brake fluid was in it.
Looks to me like it's okay to drivetoday
It probably works right again now that the excess fluid has been burped out of the boot?

My truck did this shortly after I got it..........I snipped a slit in the boot to let the excess seep out to the ground, and now I just top off the master reservoir once a year.......it's been this way for the last 20+ years.

I'll most likley gravity feed bleed it.
You better be ready to bleed every other possible way besides that---- if it doesn't work as planned.

As much as I know better not to I'm going the Autocloned route for AM part. How long do you think a $13 dollar clave cylinder will last?..lol. Wait, it's a "lifetime" part and that means I can return it a limited amount of two times. That's an odd definition of "lifetime".
Lifetime part: Good for the life of the part

For the price you can probably afford to pay for the 3rd one in a few years. Will you even have the same car by then?
Old 11-16-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you can get one of the 1-guy bleeder kits in Harbor freights too. Used one successfully with brakes
Old 11-16-2017

It probably works right again now that the excess fluid has been burped out of the boot?
I had that exact thought as well before purchasing the part. I haven't installed it yet so I will drive around a few days and check fluid each day to see if lowers. I live in condo so I have to repair any type of leak as soon as possible.

It started leaking after I let Lil' Dong drive it recently. He was going on about his rev-matching heel-toe clutch technique. The little turd probably caused the issue..lol

Lifetime part: Good for the life of the part
I asked an employee at Azone about that today and he said their's are truly lifetime. O'Reilly's, Advanced and a few others have full lifetime on some parts and limited (lifetime) returns on others. I purchase a CV axle a few years ago at Advanced and they said two returns only but is labeled as lifetime.

Will you even have the same car by then?
Possibly
Old 11-17-2017

Installed new slave cylinder and seems to be working well. ETCG has good tips for install and another youtuber has a good video on gravity feed. I used gravity feed then finished with pedal-pump bleed with my old-timey helper a.k.a. Mom.

Clutch pedal seems a bit easier to shift. There's some dark sediments in clutch master but I couldn't see them when bleeding air from fluid in the slave cylinder.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-18-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

great!