Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bolt Size For Proportional Control Valve and TB ?'s

Old 05-02-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Bolt Size For Proportional Control Valve and TB ?'s

Originally Posted by ezone
For that price you could probably have a supply of decent low mileage used TBs that would outlast the car.
Yesh..but, the hard part: "low mileage used"
Old 05-02-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Hunting....If it has worn throttle shaft/bushings that don't allow the butterfly to consistently close to the exact same position every time, that alters the minimum air rate at each closing and confuses the ECM because it learned a different idle air rate?
I recieved a reply from MaxBore. I sent him your above statement along with my car's y/m/m, engine swap type and idle symptoms. Here's his reply:

"Not the case, your TB has ball bearings that do not wear out like bronze bushings. This is a common problem with old Hondas where the IACV is old and clogged letting to much air in because the piston inside the valve won't reach full travel to close. Cleaning it will make the problem a bit less but it will come back. The only permanent solution is a new IACV. If while cleaning the TB you removed the gunk around the butterfly, your TB is now leaking more vacuum that before and your idle should be even higher. I have been through the same issues with my Hondas."

My reply to his reply:
"It does occassionally have an intermiitent high idle. However, if I clean the TB inside and out the high idle goes away for a couple of months. I've cleaned the IACV and gasket/screen as well and have read that a failing/failed IACV is often related to idle problems. When I unplug the IACV the engine barely idles and will shut off after a short period. Also read many threads in which people did replace the IACV and it didn't solve their engine's idle issues. Might try a used IACV and TB from a U-pull yard and if it doesn't work then return for a refund."

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-02-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I've not ever had extra old TBs to tear apart....Ball bearings, really?

I thought your issue was related to the throttle blade, it would wedge against the bore and stick closed?

Sounds like your IAC has a full range of operation at any rate.
Old 05-02-2017

I've not ever had extra old TBs to tear apart....Ball bearings, really?
According to him.

I thought your issue was related to the throttle blade, it would wedge against the bore and stick closed?
When I pulled it off and cleaned it this past weekend (and two months ago) I didn't see any noticeable sticking when opening and closing the throttle blade. In the fully closed position there is a very small gap (bottom and top) between the TB cylinder wall and the throttle blade.. I read that this is normal and the blade is not meant to completely seal during the full-closed position: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-idle-2364989/

Sounds like your IAC has a full range of operation at any rate.
Due to when unplugged it effects idle (lowers/stalls)?

also of note: Surging/hunting seems to be worse during hot weather

P.S. Just came across this thread: http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...e-surge?Page=3
Could be the issue ..under TPS Changes heading

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-02-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I read that this is normal and the blade is not meant to completely seal during the full-closed position
Right. (DNRTFA) That slight gap has to be there so it doesn't wedge the blade (closed) against the throttle bore and stick shut. It's a damn close fit, and carbon buildup is enough make them stick.
You said you cleaned it out but it still happened, so I figured a little wear might be what was making yours stick closed. (I assumed it is sticking closed, is that wrong?)
From post #1:
Also best way to prevent a sticking throttle body?
Hey, Richard..............Maybe I'm blind.
High idle drops to normal when I manually close the throttle plate.
Did you make sure the cable adjustment provides sufficient slack to assure the throttle can close on its own?
Old 05-02-2017

It's a damn close fit, and carbon buildup is enough make them stick. You said you cleaned it out but it still happened, so I figured a little wear might be what was making yours stick closed. (I assumed it is sticking closed, is that wrong?)
Allow me to rewind a bit.. When I purchased the car and even during test drives there was a surging idle that turned into a high idle and the quick fix was to use my foot to pull back on the gas pedal which brought idle back to normal or at least near normal with some minor surging. Within the first week after purchase I removed and cleaned the IACV and TB with throttle body cleaner. I also used a dental pick to carefully remove all carbon deposits on throttle blade, shaft near inner wall (bore), and wherever else the TB cleaner and brush couldn't remove it.

My assumption and thought process was buildup must be causing the throttle blade from fully closing on return from throttling and causing a high idle. I wasn't thinking or assuming that buildup could possibly prevent the blade from opening or sticking closed. After that first cleaning a couple months ago high idle was elimnated until last week when it returned. Unfortunately, the surging/hunting idle never fully stopped but did lessen in it's range from low (500 rpm) to slightly high (1100)..a/c off.

I cleaned the TB again this past weekend. It was still very clean but I lubed the spring last week with synthetic grease thinking it would help the throttle blade return to fully closed position and stop the recently returned high idle. Lubing it didn't help and after doing some research I learned the synthetic grease can attract more dirt and grime and cause further sticking. This inspired me to remove it and get it as clean as possible and hopefully stop the idle..whcih it has so far.

From post #1:Hey, Richard..Maybe I'm blind
You read correctly..I wrote misleadingly. Sorry to be repetative but as I mentioned above: My assumption and thought process was buildup must be causing the throttle blade from fully closing on return from throttling and causing a high idle. I wasn't thinking or assuming that buildup could possibly prevent the blade from opening or sticking closed.

Did you make sure the cable adjustment provides sufficient slack to assure the throttle can close on its own?
Yes.
Old 05-02-2017

and the quick fix was to use my foot to pull back on the gas pedal which brought idle back to normal or at least near normal
Well....the pedal cannot actually pull the throttle closed, the throttle return spring has to do that job alone.

Something in the pedal and/or cable cause enough drag the return spring can't close the throttle blade without outside assistance?
Cable too tight? Gotta have free play.

with some minor surging.
Got more details?
the surging/hunting idle never fully stopped but did lessen in it's range from low (500 rpm) to slightly high (1100)..a/c off
Ohhhh. Got a live data display you can drive around with?
Watch TPS voltage to see that the throttle returns to the same value each and every time the throttle closes.
EDIT: forgot, you don't. You could rig a voltmeter to watch it though (time consuming LOL)

Lubing it didn't help and after doing some research I learned the synthetic grease can attract more dirt and grime and cause further sticking.
Was reading along and was gonna say exactly what you learned. Also....Synthetic is irrelevant, dirt will stick to any grease.
Old 05-02-2017

Well....the pedal cannot actually pull the throttle closed, the throttle return spring has to do that job alone. Something in the pedal and/or cable cause enough drag the return spring can't close the throttle blade without outside assistance? Cable too tight? Gotta have free play.
I forgot to mention that after the first TB cleaning I no longer need to pull the pedal back to reduce idle. I tried to pull pedal back last week during recent high idle and it had no effect.

Two months ago during first cleaning I removed the throttle cable from the mounting perch at the point where the cable bends (U-shape). I'm pretty sure that was causing the binding. It's been left unmounted since.

EDIT: forgot, you don't. You could rig a voltmeter to watch it though (time consuming LOL)
Unfortunately, no live data scanner.

Was reading along and was gonna say exactly what you learned. Also....Synthetic is irrelevant, dirt will stick to any grease.
Okay. will avoid from now on.
Old 05-03-2017

I'm looking at this data scanner combination around $100 for BT adapter and software together:

Other option is Snap-On MT2500

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-03-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2017

Your car is not OBD2, those won't do any good unless they work with Hondas earlier communication protocol.

Your diag connector has only 3 terminals.

ALDL is GM-speak for their OBD1 diagnostic plug (assembly line data link), unless they say it will work on your car, it will not work on your car.
FWIW General Motors was light years ahead of everyone else when it came to providing techs with ECM data and bi-directional controls very early in the electronics game, many years before OBD2 was implemented.

I'm on a roll in goggle image search now, look out!
GM ALDL

OBDII

Honda OBD1 data link connector, right kick panel, 3 wires, blue connector shell

And a scary obsolete but very capable and fairly easy to use PGMFI tester....will be hard to find any that still work after all this time. (Honda OBD1 adapter cable not shown)

I don't have info on the Snappy unit and didn't look to see if it can do the early cars.
Old 05-03-2017

Your car is not OBD2, those won't do any good unless they work with Hondas earlier communication protocol. Your diag connector has only 3 terminals.
Oh yea, we covered that a while ago.

I'm on a roll in goggle image search now, look out!
Nice port ****.

Honda OBD1 data link connector, right kick panel, 3 wires, blue connector shell
okay.

I don't have info on the Snappy unit and didn't look to see if it can do the early cars.
Looking online can't find an Honda OBD1 data link adapter connector to mate with the Snap-On scanner
Old 05-04-2017

Got the piston O-rings on and so far no leaking. I took some pics of the internals and plan to post soon. May do a write-up as well..give credit to the guy who posted the video.

I'm going to pull a TB and IACV (just in case) from local junkyard next time I go. Also, want to convert the cold-air intake back to air box.

The guy who painted my car either forgot or didn't bother to cover the condenser and radiator. The radiator is fine..just minor mist but, the paint/clearcoat on condenser is thick in a few spots. It's cooling well regardless but, may be less efficient now. I told him about and he's going to look at it this Saturday. I called a couple other body shops and they both told me it should be fine but, if I want to try to remove it ..use a condenser fin comb/separator.

Next project: install aftermarket manual steering rack (includes inner and outer tie rods + boots. After that hopefully will be done and can enjoy the damn thing rather than working on it .
Old 05-07-2017

Prop valve is leakless so far.

I found this Hondash scanner on EBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD-Diagnostics-Bluetooth-Interface-Scanner-Honda-OBD1-OBD2A-3-Pin-Hondash-App-/152487523851?hash=item2380f6f60b:g:WjUAAOSw32lY2QI 0
Homepage: http://www.hondash.net/

I've noticed the engine oil has a gas smell and I'm thinking one or more fuel injectors may be leaking. I know I can disconnect, remove them, spray them in a bucket, and inspect o-ring for leaks. A proper OBD1 scan tool can also determine proper function correct?

Here's a read that states leaking injector symptoms: https://www.injectorrx.com/leaking-fuel-injectors/ and http://www.buyautoparts.com/howto/sy...-injectors.htm .Wondering if it could cause a hunting/surging idle?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-07-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2017

Prop valve is leakless so far.
Great! I'll alert the media.

I've noticed the engine oil has a gas smell
That happens naturally sometimes and odor alone isn't conclusive evidence of a problem.

Is the oil level rising for no apparent reason?

Rub some of the oil between your fingers, does it feel slick? Or does it feel 'grainy'?

Got hard start, missing upon startup, black smoke, rich code?

Doubt injector problem. You could lift them out of the manifold and watch if they **** fuel after shutoff.
Check if pressure regulator is leaking fuel into the vacuum hose.

Hondash scanner
Looks quite interesting. If you get one, write and post a review here for people who have older cars or pre-OBD2 ECM.

Also Miloš Polakovič https://plus.google.com/118241279827353940025
Old 05-07-2017

That happens naturally sometimes and odor alone isn't conclusive evidence of a problem. Is the oil level rising for no apparent reason?
Oil isn't rising..hasn;t changed level since purchase four months ago.

Rub some of the oil between your fingers, does it feel slick? Or does it feel 'grainy'?
Will try soon

Got hard start, missing upon startup, black smoke, rich code?
Only on incline/decline and very occasionally (rarely) on level surface at operating temp. Doesn't seem to be missing on startup. No codes

Doubt injector problem. You could lift them out of the manifold and watch if they **** fuel after shutoff.
Tomorrow going to start by pulling spark plugs and look for black soot buildup (rich). If none seen then may pull injectors.

Check if pressure regulator is leaking fuel into the vacuum hose.
Checked the pressure regulator last week and it was very dry, no gas smell.

Looks quite interesting. If you get one, write and post a review here for people who have older cars or pre-OBD2 ECM.
Intend to e-mail him and ask a few questions. If checks out then will purchase.

Great! I'll alert the media.
Please setup an interview with this guy..lol:
Old 05-07-2017

Only on incline/decline and very occasionally (rarely) on level surface at operating temp.
Explain
Tomorrow going to start by pulling spark plugs and look for black soot buildup (rich). If none seen then may pull injectors.
If you just pull plugs after moving the car around in the driveway, the plugs will reflect you moving it around in the driveway (cold temp, rich and dark, ready to foul out and flood)

If you really want to set it up to read the plugs, go for a 95 MPH highway run for 5 miles, then kill the engine at highway speed and coast to a stop. Pull plugs to see what it was doing at the moment you killed the engine.
(actually just get it all warmed up to operating temp, go drive it around normally and and keep it there for a while, shut it off and pull plugs)

I'd be wanting to watch O2 sensor and fuel calculation corrections (trims) to see how rich or lean the computer thinks it is. I like to do as much diagnosing as I can from the comfort of the drivers seat.

Please setup an interview with this guy..lol:
That guy was an interesting story, then kinda fell off the radar.

facebook (dot) com/tedgoldenvoice/
Old 05-07-2017

Explain
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...e-decline.html

I'd be wanting to watch O2 sensor and fuel calculation corrections (trims) to see how rich or lean the computer thinks it is. I like to do as much diagnosing as I can from the comfort of the drivers seat.
Looks like I need to purchase that Hondash unit to hopefully make my life a bit easier. Between needing TPS voltages, fuel injector voltages, O2 sensor and other live data it'll be well worth $50 as long as it works properly.
Old 05-07-2017

OH ok. You have too many longass threads going here at once LOL
Old 05-08-2017

OH ok. You have too many longass threads going here at once LOL
Lol...I know,,I start with one or two issues in heading and end up with four or five by the end (if it ends ). Wierd, because I'm not much of a yakker in person.

Search this Thread