Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1993 honda civic help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jakeelias93 is an unknown quantity at this point
1993 honda civic help please!

Just bought a used honda civic 1993 hatchback. The only problem is. we can only kick start the vehicle. It has a brand new flywheel, starter, battery, fuses are all not blown, you can hear the fuel pump working when you put the key into the2nd position and what not, the car runs great when you kick start it. It does make a loud buzzing sound when you try to start it, and its not your average turnover type sound, in fact there is no turnover at all. its not a clicking,its a buzzing, almost a grinding and its high pitched. im wondering if this could be caused by the neutral safety switch being bad? im not sure. any helpwould be great.*

Last edited by Jakeelias93; 07-26-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2013
Registered!!

abductedllama is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1993 honda civic help please!

i just had a similar problem on my 89 ..... if you reach up the clutch arm you should be able to find the safety switch and press it. have someone else try to start the car while your holding the button down just make sure the ebrake is up and the car isnt in any gear. in my 89 it took a bit to find the switch and i could only locate it by feeling. if that is the problem you can always cut the wires from the switch if you feel comfortable and wire them together. it would probably be cheaper in the long run.

edit:let me know if that works....
Old 09-24-2013
Registered!!

jtmiracosta is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, I have a 1994 Honda civic and I at one point was having very similar issues. when I was able to start the car I had to jump start. like you I thought that maybe it could be bc of the fuel pump. I had to get it towed one day and the tow truck driver told me that's what it was so I foolishly bought the fuel pump replaced it along with the fuel filter but that didn't help. My car ended up having a blown head gasket. I Cant say that that's whats happening to your car but it maybe so and you might not be holding enough pressure in there. I suggest to you that you find a good mechanic who can do a full inspection for you. A professional should be able to figure out whats going on.
Old 09-27-2013
Registered!!

kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point

starter is grounded through connection with engine. sometimes you need to string an actual ground wire from starter housing to negative terminal on battery. you would be surprised how much this can help.