Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1987 Honda Civic Wagon needs a camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron Andoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 1987 Honda Civic Wagon needs a camshaft

My father in law and I replaced the water pump and the timing belt on my '87 Honda civic a week ago. We got it all dialed in and running great, so the wife and I headed home. We were driving down the highway and all of the sudden it just quit. It didn't make any noise, no spittin or sputterin, just quit. I had it towed back to my father in laws house and we found that the camshaft was broken. One half was turning, one was not. I have called dealerships, parts stores, rockauto, and jc whitney, and cannot find a camshaft for it. I love this car, it's got some sentimental value, not to mention it gets phenomenal gas mileage. Does anyone know of somewhere I could find a camshaft to fit my pride and joy? I sure don't want to have to give it up. Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
Old 05-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1987 Honda Civic Wagon needs a camshaft

Where did the cam break? Between cylinders 2 and 3?

Was the engine ever overheated, warped the head, and got the head milled to repair it? This is usually what causes a camshaft to snap, if it did not have a journal seize up.
If this is what caused your cam to snap, a new cam is likely to snap again too.

Look on www.car-part.com, look for a complete engine or a complete head. Good-freekin-luck!