Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1992 Honda Civic LX - Running on 3 Cylinders Only

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tr8theta is an unknown quantity at this point
1992 Honda Civic LX - Running on 3 Cylinders Only

Hello All - Newbie here seeking advice. If this has been posted before by someone, please forgive me for repeating it.

My 1992 Honda Civic LX 1.5 has been diagnosed as running on 3 cylinders
determined two ways: compression check on all 4 cylinders showing that 3 registered at 100-125 and the other at around 25-50 and by pulling the caps off and listening and noticing that when the caps were pulled off on 3 (one at a time of course) the engine reduced and when the other was pulled off - no change. One mechanic was adamant that it was a bad fuel injector because the spark plug was black and crusty. One other mechanic said it was the "valves". When I first start out on the road alot of blue smoke comes out then it tapers off. It's burning gas like crazy. She has 100,020 on the odometer. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
TR
Old 01-25-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1992 Honda Civic LX - Running on 3 Cylinders Only

You need smarter mechanics that can do more than guess.

Diagnose why the compression is so low.

And if it smokes a lot, I'd almost expect it is time for rings......while the head is off.