Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dealer says I need new shocks & springs for '94 VX.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alaskanaking is an unknown quantity at this point
Dealer says I need new shocks & springs for '94 VX.

I brought my '94 Civic VX into the Honda dealership last week for a slightly wobbling wheel (I slid on the snow and slammed into a curb). They said that the lower control arm didn't look bent, so they are going to check the alignment in a few days. They said that the springs and shocks were worn out. It has 141,000 miles on it. I haven't noticed any problems with the springs or shocks (I've owned it since 1994) but I suppose they could be worn out. How can I tell?

I also read that the timing belt should be replaced before it breaks. It still has the original timing belt. Maybe I should have the water pump replaced too?? Any suggestions of other things that might need replacing? I replaced the oxygen sensor and it has new plugs/wires/distributor cap/rotor. Not much else has been done to it over the years except for brakes and a clutch. Still gets close to 50 mpg. Great car!
Old 05-01-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Dealer says I need new shocks & springs for '94 VX.

If you push down on the back or front of the car it shouldn't bounce more then once. Open the trunk and push down were the bumper meets the trunk. The car should go down then come back up and stay. They could be bad because of the mileage but unless there bouncy or leaking I wouldn't worry about them. You should definatly do the timming belt and water pump. They should have been done at 90k.
Old 05-25-2012
Registered!!

kennethhausmann is an unknown quantity at this point

Replace the timing belt NOW! 90K is the recommended time, if it breaks your engine is gone. When they do that, they will do the water pump at the same time. I just replaced my shocks at 380,000 miles. I did it my self, about $130 a shock. If you want to sell your car, my phone is 512 293 9203. All I want is no rust and an AC!
Old 05-30-2012
Registered!!

Impossible is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt the springs are worn... I really doubt it... although it may need shocks/struts... they are simple to replace... If you need a spring compressor, O'reilly will let you use theirs with a deposit, which you get back when you return it. The VX is very hard to find these days. I have one and I wouldn't even think of selling it. The gas mileage is as good or better than hybrids and they are fairly zippy. They have a go-cart feel to them when driving. = )
Old 05-30-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alaskanaking
They said that the springs and shocks were worn out. It has 141,000 miles on it. I haven't noticed any problems with the springs or shocks (I've owned it since 1994) but I suppose they could be worn out. How can I tell?
As Impossible already said I really doubt the springs are beat but more likely shocks and struts. You should have a look at your tires as well. Look for irregular wear like 'cupping' it's also an indicator that the struts/shocks are beat. If you've owned it since it was new then it's possible you just haven't noticed because it's happened gradually over the years.

Edit: I just noticed the original post is a month old. I guess it's probably fixed by now. LOL