Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 si hatch wont stay on

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
garza1553 is an unknown quantity at this point
95 si hatch wont stay on

my 95 civic si has been acting up the last couple of weeks. first it would take a couple of times to start it then it finally stopped working. changed fuel filter and fuel pump still nothing i pulled the spark plugs they were dirty and so i cleaned them up they were only a couple months old. still nothing after a few trips to auto zone i ended up buying new plugs and it fired right up. then a week later went did again changed the plugs but it still wont stay on it cranks over but then turns right off. any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

BLEGAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 95 si hatch wont stay on

Originally Posted by garza1553
my 95 civic si has been acting up the last couple of weeks. first it would take a couple of times to start it then it finally stopped working. changed fuel filter and fuel pump still nothing i pulled the spark plugs they were dirty and so i cleaned them up they were only a couple months old. still nothing after a few trips to auto zone i ended up buying new plugs and it fired right up. then a week later went did again changed the plugs but it still wont stay on it cranks over but then turns right off. any suggestions?
have you checked all your connections? battery wires and whatnot. i'd say more than 50% of the time i've had starting/electrical problems, it was the wiring lol

i just really really like that smiley
Old 04-16-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Did you actually check to see what exactly was on the plugs? They can tell you a lot about your engine. Oil fouled plugs usually mean you've got a gasket leak, which is an easy fix. Fuel fouled are from a flooded engine. Had that happen to me recently.
Old 04-23-2011
Registered!!

xylerium is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by garza1553
Do you hear the fuel pump kicking on when you turn the key to "on"? Do you hear a relay click when the Check Engine Light goes off? You'll have to turn the key to "ON" (not start) and wait for the click ...

If you don't hear this, it's probably your main relay (symptom: car will turn over but not start, and you don't smell gas from the exhaust)