Changed Power Steering - just tidbits of advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99stockcivic will become famous soon enough
Changed Power Steering - just tidbits of advice

Hello all,
Surprisingly, or maybe not for a car of this age, the power steering started making a loud whining noise. It had fluid, it was discolored, I presumed the power steering pump need to be replaced, and it did. I got a great price on replacement from Rock Auto, about half of what I priced at AutoZone/Oreilly's and it was new not remanufactured. Just to be safe I also got a replace overflow container in case it was cracked and leaking (I was thinking it was going to be brittle). The main bit I wanted to offer on replacement for this were: 1 -it is very simple, it's literally 2 bolts to take it off from the engine, and 2 bolts on top to remove the power steering hose from it. Then it's a simple unclip of the hose and the clamp, and its free. 2- To keep from making a mess, get a turkey baster and remove all the fluid from the overflow container or it will all spill out when detaching the power steering hose. 3 - Before removing the power steering pump from the car, take off the bottom bolt, then remove the overflow container. This will leave room for you to get a 19mm on the pulley that needs to be removed from this power steering pump and installed on the new one. It is clockwise. If you don't do this, you will be trying to hold a pump on the ground and stop it from spinning while trying to detach the pulley. Don't waste your time, just leave it on the car, and loosen it there. You don't have to remove it, just loosen it. 4 - It's 2 10mm bolts for the removal of the hose, and 2 12mm for removal of the power steering.

Anyway, I thought I would post here, I don't know that many have had to do this, but I thought this might help.
Old 09-10-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Changed Power Steering - just tidbits of advice

Good tips!
Old 01-20-2019
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changed Power Steering - just tidbits of advice

I just changed the rack and the pump in my 2000 ex sedan. My power steering was terrible. I bought the car with a failed rack and did not drive it that way. I found that the remanufactured rack that I put in had a red fluid inside that looked like conventional transmission fluid. I flushed this by using the honda genuine fluid and a turkey baster- many many times. I must have filled it with honda fluid, started and run the engine, turned the wheel, and then sucked the fluid back out about 6 or 7 times before it started to look clear and yellow. Start engine, turn wheel, stop engine, suck out old fluid, put in new fluid and repeat again. I had literally filled up a full 2L coke bottle with power steering fluid. I bought about 15 bottles of the honda genuine stuff. I wanted to get a really good purge.