96 DX, new brake lines w/o dropping gas tank OR dropgas tank w/o dropping exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve General is an unknown quantity at this point
96 DX, new brake lines w/o dropping gas tank OR dropgas tank w/o dropping exhaust

Brake hydraulics all rusted out from salt;

It took awhile, but I got the rear plastic "fuel pipe cover" off without adding to the prior breakage on those parts. Patience and really good observation helped decide where to pry and wiggle. Did the rear first. work it just loose enough to know it was loose at the middle where they hook together. Used slipjoint pliers to just grab the small plastic holder (about 1"x1"x3") towards rear and busted it up. Sacrificing that one gave just enough wiggle and visibility to see what I was doing on the back end. Pardon me for going on but I see many people have that piece crumble on them. I did it slow over 24 hrs off/on.

Anyway.... my questions are....

Any advice on running new brake lines with different supports, protections, and routing? I'd like to avoid dropping the gas tank if possible.

If the gas tank has to come down, can this be done without disturbing the exhaust system?

Thanks for tips
Old 04-25-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 96 DX, new brake lines w/o dropping gas tank OR dropgas tank w/o dropping exhaust

A previous owner ran new copper/nickel lines for the back brakes on my girlfriends car ('99 sedan) and just used zip ties to hold them up. Seems to work, and they definitely didn't drop the gas tank to do it. I did drop the gas tank on this car to replace the fuel lines and tank straps and I didn't have to drop the exhaust, just bent the heat shield out of the way.

If your brake lines are rotted out, the fuel lines probably are as well, that plastic cover the hides them underneath the car traps all sorts of salt and moisture and just destroys the lines. I removed the old fuel and brake lines and they were snapping like twigs.